Jump to content
Yaron Nir

Wonderboy WIP - Favorite Port of All time

Recommended Posts

Just now, DrVenkman said:

but I’m guess bigger than 8K. 

A little bit.

1601397084_Bildschirmfoto2020-07-21um16_09_17.jpg.a7c0cfedeaceec21b525bdaf3d6a0872.jpg

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Yaron Nir said:

How is the game demo? 

 

 

Where is a game demo? There still is a one moving object with a scrolling screen demo. Limited playability given.

For the records: A game demo shows all possible and availiable features . Just the level design needs fintune to get a final game. 

 

 

5 hours ago, Yaron Nir said:

 

 

you like it?

 

As I always like to see new stuff for the Atari. 

But you set the limits. And a rather high goal. 

 

 

5 hours ago, Yaron Nir said:

nice graphics ?

Nice graphics. Yes. 

 

5 hours ago, Yaron Nir said:

playable?

 

As far as the game-engine is working, it plays good. 

 

5 hours ago, Yaron Nir said:

a never seen before platform game ?

 

Where is a platform game? 

 

5 hours ago, Yaron Nir said:

hard and challenging to develop ?

 

surely. 

 

5 hours ago, Yaron Nir said:

anything positive coming from your end ?

 

Any final game coming from your end?

Still missing :

 

Skateboard level

8 way scrolling

several enemies that move independent from the scrolling... 

 

For now it would be great to have the arcade like tune, that POKEY IS able to reproduce. 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, shanti77 said:

Ascension

test1.wmv

well, from your video it also looks sporadic....

ill review code again, to see how that is possible.

gravity at this point is negative (going up) but the increase is very big....

ok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, emkay said:

Where is a platform game? 

well, you run to the right and jump on platform - to me that is a platform game :)

2 minutes ago, emkay said:

Any final game coming from your end?

Still missing :

 

Skateboard level

8 way scrolling

several enemies that move independent from the scrolling... 

 

For now it would be great to have the arcade like tune, that POKEY IS able to reproduce. 

the game will be worked till final completion, but for now i want to be done with the ice level and some other screens that @José Pereira has updated (like get ready, finish level , game over etc...)

 

after that we will start working on other levels (maybe water level or forest first)

 

the game WILL NOT have 8 direction scroll. we are going to add a V-SCROLL so when wonderboy reaches a certain vertical point in screen the screen will start scroll up. this will eliminate what is happening right now that the boy can jump and overlap with the status bar - @popmilo is working on that part. 

 

the ice level unfortunately, doesn't include the skateboard in the eggs. the only way to go through this level with skateboard is to start the level with already collected skateboard.... but that is definately planned to be supported

 

next work is moving objects such as bats, snails, etc...

and collecting egg will "fly" the egg as in arcades

 

so there is still yet to come.

 

as for sound, not sure what is wrong with the sound. 

i have a perfect ear, and i can assure you all tones are in place.

what exactly you don't like? do you have an example that works better? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, skr said:

A little bit.

1601397084_Bildschirmfoto2020-07-21um16_09_17.jpg.a7c0cfedeaceec21b525bdaf3d6a0872.jpg

I hope the author puts out an ATR or XEX file. Not all of us have cartridge devices able to load up such large files. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I hope the author puts out an ATR or XEX file. Not all of us have cartridge devices able to load up such large files. :)

unfortunatly, the game is design to be run from a cartridge (1MB cart)

so there won't be any ATR or XEX.

 

you can use it via altirra emulator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Yaron Nir said:

you mean you have scored 780 points?

 

On that video from Saberman I think he only didn't kill one fire skull and scored 1200.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Yaron Nir said:

as for sound, not sure what is wrong with the sound. 

i have a perfect ear, and i can assure you all tones are in place.

what exactly you don't like? do you have an example that works better? 

I don´t refer to any sound (as I for example do not know the original tune) or what PoKey can do or can´t do. I just don´t like the in game music, too.

The tune itself is ok, but those high tones are totally annoying me. And OPTION to switch off the music doesn´t work. So, I just don´t like it. But that´s my problem. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, devwebcl said:

Yes, I meant that :)

i can say that a score around 1800 is nearly perfect completing this level :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Yaron Nir said:

the game will be worked till final completion, but for now i want to be done with the ice level and some other screens that @José Pereira has updated (like get ready, finish level , game over etc...)

Here's some of them:

1462375298_Betweenlevels_gamestart_Allin2x1.png.78dc5dc92f54210cedd6bd931386f15c.png 602163686_Betweenlevels_Allin2x1.png.7726cd0c52d2aeffed07293336f0651e.png 1336866325_Betweenlevels_areaboss_Allin2x1.png.36c32e2635f15720ce82f73f1a0446cc.png

 

1074934482_BonusandDollscreen_MISSILESonBonusnumbers_withArcadeflower_Newdoll_Allin2x1.png.5c2965a8516ee616fa12f575aa62f707.png 1520694995_BonusandDollscreen_MISSILESonDollnumbersandhowmuchcollected_withArcadeflower_Newdoll_Allin2x1.png.8b2e146a8a01be6212e9223be45ca525.png

 

1768255989_GameOver_Allin2x1.png.5b69b2a76987d65e7f7386839a869541.png 442161707_GameCompleted_Allin2x1.png.0a84f2f0debf9cdb69c25c8720b2beb8.png

 

 

 

1700623949_Hi-Scores_Allin2x1_enteryourname.png.8dc82cbab87f32dfd12982c384877764.png 1209767457_Hi-Scores_Allin2x1_allnamesin.png.b34aa18c65632d3c5c9115427f0fc72e.png

 

Will have some little changes but still more or less around this...

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, skr said:

I don´t refer to any sound (as I for example do not know the original tune) or what PoKey can do or can´t do. I just don´t like the in game music, too.

The tune itself is ok, but those high tones are totally annoying me. And OPTION to switch off the music doesn´t work. So, I just don´t like it. But that´s my problem. ;)

in the title screen you can press option to cancel music but it will also cancel the SFX.

 

run the arcade game and tell me if the main music theme annoys as well.

if yes, nothing i can do as we copied the arcade, if not,  i need to check with @mikerwhat can be done

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Yaron Nir said:

i can say that a score around 1800 is nearly perfect completing this level :) 

Yeah, there were several skulls left.
I died once in clear space... probably time? Not sure.

 

Definitely I have to improve my score.
I love the music!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TIX said:

Hey,

Just to inform you that there are new (much better) versions of the skull/fire/signs/ice blocks not yet incorporated   😉

And also will have boy implemeted when is burned (@tix design with my PMgs colorings):

 

burnedboy.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

VBXE is probably the only integrated upgrade that can to an extent do Ram banking in similar fashion to what a cart can do for Rom or flash.

But it's limited to 512K worth, and the banking registers are different to anything that's cartridge based.

 

And yeah, game looking good.  Will there be the usual assortment of moving enemies though?

 

And somewhat agree on the music, it is on the annoying side.

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Yaron Nir said:

in the title screen you can press option to cancel music but it will also cancel the SFX.

As said: That doesn´t work.

 

Edit: Didn´t work at all on the Emulator (Atari800MacX) but works partially on the real hardware. After pressing OPTION three or four times, it worked. But then it was a lucky game again, to turn it back on. Looks like OPTION is not tested constantly and one has to push it at the very right moment. Whatever moment that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, skr said:

As said: That doesn´t work.

 

Edit: Didn´t work at all on the Emulator (Atari800MacX) but works partially on the real hardware. After pressing OPTION three or four times, it worked. But then it was a lucky game again, to turn it back on. Looks like OPTION is not tested constantly and one has to push it at the very right moment. Whatever moment that is.

noted. will fix in future.

in during the title screen when the music plays, if you press option the music should stop and that should be your indication that it worked....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yaron Nir said:

unfortunatly, the game is design to be run from a cartridge (1MB cart)

so there won't be any ATR or XEX.

 

you can use it via altirra emulator

#Nope. Too bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rybags said:

.

And yeah, game looking good.  Will there be the usual assortment of moving enemies though?

.

Yeah all the enemies are here !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TIX said:

Yeah all the enemies are here !

 

And as I mentioned and previous post next work is the moving enemies like bat and snail 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yaron Nir said:

i can say that a score around 1800 is nearly perfect completing this level :) 

😎
wbscore.thumb.jpeg.455f86a9b760544a5c0d004322aa0285.jpeg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...