Jump to content
Yaron Nir

Wonderboy WIP - Favorite Port of All time

Recommended Posts

So I listened to the arcade wonderboy music again and the Atari 8 version.  While it still sounds good, I had a suggestion or two...

 

First, take the entire piece down three semitones.  This matches the key of the arcade version, will still play in normal 8 bit POKEY mode, but keeps the high notes better in tune.

 

Second half of the tune doesn't need the unison lead, so make voice 2 play the same bass as voice 1, but up an octave.  This mimics that pulse wave sound in the original.

 

Only suggestions tho miker... what you have done really sounds terrific as is!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually its rather not possible without changing "bassline". The lowest note I use there now is C-1, so no go...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But I may think about some other way. Just not today...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Looks amazing! I wish I could figure out how to load this to an 8mb AtariMax cart and give it a try. Any help?

Edited by electrohaze

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

currently the highest score one can achieve in the level if you kill all skulls and collect all objects (1820):

 

image.thumb.png.02abf2e65a155a2f71257c35018fb3b2.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2020 at 10:03 AM, skr said:

😍😍😍

 

About "my" Wonderboy problems:

I´ve tried hard to reproduce that "megaToDeathJump" but I can´t. So it seems to be an quite random glitch which should be ignorable until one can reproduce it.

Also, the OPTION key is working better on the real hardware now. I guess, I´m just more used to it and just hold it a few moments longer, which is not possible on an emulator.

The music: I´ve checked the original tune and don´t like it, too. But I can confirm that miker did a great job with converting it to the Atari. As your goal surely is to be as close to the original game, there is no need to change the music. But the option to turn off just the music but still have FX would be really nice.

I've played Wonderboy for many years on many formats. This superb version deals with the speed up/holding button down difference very very well. In fact it feels like the arcade albeit slightly slower, to me. The controls, including the speed up (essential for the fish/ sea level; 1st necessary point of speed up jump : ) ) are superb. Some of the best, including the recent Crownland.

 

I really look forward to this being completed. It' stellar work all round. Well done!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ste33 said:

I've played Wonderboy for many years on many formats. This superb version deals with the speed up/holding button down difference very very well. In fact it feels like the arcade albeit slightly slower, to me. The controls, including the speed up (essential for the fish/ sea level; 1st necessary point of speed up jump : ) ) are superb. Some of the best, including the recent Crownland.

 

I really look forward to this being completed. It' stellar work all round. Well done!

thanks Man!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok, 

 

wonderboy.car

 

updates:

1. Fixed axe collision. better skull collision.

2. Fixed axe parabolic flying root. now much better (gravitiy increased)

3. replaced static object frames - now work with @TIX new images

4. if you collect second egg score is increased

5. if you shoot second egg it is cleared and score is increased

6. jumping frames fixed (left and right)

7. fixed an code issue where there were 4-5 skulls on screen

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Argh...Hyper mega bast**d jump still there :)

 

Apart from that...Plays great...Apart from some unexplained deaths, didn't seem to do the super jump and nothing appeared to be on the screen..

 

XL PAL via Altirra..

Edited by Mclaneinc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mclaneinc said:

Argh...Hyper mega bast**d jump still there :)

 

Apart from that...Plays great...

how do you get to the "mega jump of death"? 

i can't reproduce it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Yaron Nir said:

how do you get to the "mega jump of death"? 

i can't reproduce it

I can reproduce it but its random..I'll recheck just incase I'm hitting the ceiling...

Edited by Mclaneinc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mclaneinc said:

I can reproduce it but its random..

if you figure out a specific scenario that lead to this - let me know 

 

thanks @Mclaneinc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Poison said:

After my death it shows some bad graphics

Výstřižek.JPG

yes. i am aware. will be fixed in future version(s)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was just about to post the same, not only are the graphics bad but invisible objects are there and its trial and error...

 

Also when you get to  the goal it crashes... :)

 

Still loving it...And I had the super mega jump happen, no particular scenario, utterly random...Deffo not hitting the ceiling, I was standing still..I think its something to do with the holding down the button extra height jump, the only common element is that I was holding down the button, but try as I might it just won't do it to order..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mclaneinc said:

Was just about to post the same, not only are the graphics bad but invisible objects are there and its trial and error...

 

Also when you get to  the goal it crashes... :)

 

Still loving it...And I had the super mega jump happen, no particular scenario, utterly random...Deffo not hitting the ceiling, I was standing still..I think its something to do with the holding down the button extra height jump, the only common element is that I was holding down the button, but try as I might it just won't do it to order..

that graphics that are messed after you die is a character set being "f*** up".

from that point on, the game graphics are a mess. once resolved, it will resovle the continue of the game to be without any issue.

 

then you finish the level, nothing should happen. you see a black screen and hear weird sound - as it should for the moment. i wrote in previous post (few pages back) that i still need to work on @José Pereirascreens including "get ready" , "finish level" , "game over" - still a lot work to do :)

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, sorry, didn't see that post Yaron. That is exact what I saw and heard, blackness and just odd sounds...Zone 4 has really precise  jumps, I like it..

 

Is there any anti cheat code?

 

I won't post the address of lives so to spoil it....

 

Love it all so far, messed up character sets or not...Excellent work..

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mclaneinc said:

Is there any anti cheat code?

hahahah

game is not done and already cheat mode requested :) luv it!

 

well, if you die and lives become 0 and can continue the game for now (but, pssstttt don't tell anyone)

:)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Yaron Nir said:

hahahah

game is not done and already cheat mode requested :) luv it!

 

well, if you die and lives become 0 and can continue the game for now (but, pssstttt don't tell anyone)

:)

No no, not asking for a cheat, just if its going to check against it :)

 

Don't worry, I'll do the cheating myself :)

 

That secret is safe with me...No one reads this thread ;)

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mclaneinc said:

No no, not asking for a cheat, just if its going to check against it :)

 

Don't worry, I'll do the cheating myself :)

 

That secret is safe with me...No one reads this thread ;)

 

 

hahaha :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Poison said:

After my death it shows some bad graphics

Výstřižek.JPG

Yes that happened also for me. After dying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2019 at 5:19 PM, ascrnet said:

My congratulations to the whole team for the great project 🤩, it would be nice to add Joy 2B+ support to use 2 buttons like the arcade to jump and shoot😅

Regards

Or just read the PADDL0 register, and you can play it on a standard Genesis controller 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...