IGNORED

Panasonic FS-A1F a good buy?

kuro68k

I know that MSX and in particular MSX2 are much more expensive than they ought to be, but 20000 yen doesn't seem like a steal to me. Perhaps if you can talk it down by 50%, in particular if you're buying it somewhat untested.

It is a MSX2 model with only 64K RAM and 128K VRAM: https://www.msx.org/wiki/Panasonic_FS-A1F

Many other models have 128K + 128K, though of course if you pair it with a MegaflashROM SCC+ SD with 512K RAM option, it might not be that much of an issue.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, even the Japanese have learned the value of retro now. For a long while they seemed to be as forward-looking as Apple users, but both groups now have plenty of nostalgic people with big wallets.

However I believe those FS-A1F and regular FS-A1 will sit there for a while until someone really longing for a MSX2 computer stops by. If the itch is greater than you can fend off, by all means get one as most likely the value will not drop in the near future but the price is far from a bargain IMHO.

I just looked and found that I bought my Philips VG-8235 MSX2 back in the end of September 2007 for 11.50 Euros + shipping 20 Euros which back then was a fair price. I don't know if they go for ten times as much but surely 7-8 times what I paid. Yes, I know the market has changed completely over the past 12-13 years so it is a poor benchmark but still...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...