IGNORED

CollectorVision Club 2020

retroillucid

26 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I don't believe so.

Humm... i think it is not the game i thought indeed, i just double check and J.F said in this thread that an NES Port exists.  The game i was thinking about don't have NES port as far i know.:(

On 7/17/2020 at 10:18 AM, youki said:

I think i have found what is the game! ...   A C64  and an Atari XL port exists also.  am i correct?

Give up, you’ll never get it unless you buy one secondhand! ?

Actually, the game should be pretty evident if you paid attention to posts in this and another thread.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NIAD said:

Give up, you’ll never get it unless you buy one secondhand! ?

Actually, the game should be pretty evident if you paid attention to posts in this and another thread.

I know what is the game now.  :)   It is a game i would have buy if it was not in the club.   It is a game i would have done myself but i love so much that game that i prefer somebody else does it! To Play it!    That 's THE GAME.

It's a great game and have been thoroughly enjoying it, but I wish I could get it to dump properly, so I can play it on my Ultimate SD cart and keep the cart pristine and in the box. So far, using the 128k MegaCart w/ EPROM format via Atarimax USB programmer & CV adapter has worked the best, but the flower sprites are missing on the bottom. Weird! There's no EPROM in it as far as I can tell, since my high score disappears after I power down the console. ? ?‍♂️

10 hours ago, SiLic0ne t0aD said:

It's a great game and have been thoroughly enjoying it, but I wish I could get it to dump properly, so I can play it on my Ultimate SD cart and keep the cart pristine and in the box. So far, using the 128k MegaCart w/ EPROM format via Atarimax USB programmer & CV adapter has worked the best, but the ####### sprites are missing on the bottom. Weird! There's no EPROM in it as far as I can tell, since my high score disappears after I power down the console. ? ?‍♂️

My dump does the same ☹️

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, retroillucid said:

No worries guys, the rom file should be sent soon enough
We were just making sure everyone got their game before sending the rom file

Awesome news!! Cannot wait to put it on my phone to play!!  Thank you for all you guys are doing!!!!

44 minutes ago, lawdawg710 said:

Awesome news!! Cannot wait to put it on my phone to play!!  Thank you for all you guys are doing!!!!

I can't express how much I want this comment to be a "just kidding" post!  Do people (adults) seriously, and with regularity play games on their phones (or any other touch-screen device)?  I'm sure kids do (fortunately I have no first hand knowledge of this), and when smart-phones first became a "thing" all those years ago, I remember getting a few games on my first smart phone...realized how bad they sucked (new made for smart-phone games, angry birds, tower defense games and the likes), and realized how unplayable vintage games are without a controller...swipe the screen to move...no thank you.  This truly saddens me...and really makes me wonder what will happen to all of the "hardware" in the probably not-too-distant future.  Obviously people can do whatever they like, play games however they like, I just find it really depressing to think of people playing games like Pac-Man or other vintage classics on a smart-device with a touch-screen.  This now concludes the daily ranting of a crazy old man...now back to your regularly scheduled programming.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, doubledown said:

I can't express how much I want this comment to be a "just kidding" post!  Do people (adults) seriously, and with regularity play games on their phones (or any other touch-screen device)?  I'm sure kids do (fortunately I have no first hand knowledge of this), and when smart-phones first became a "thing" all those years ago, I remember getting a few games on my first smart phone...realized how bad they sucked (new made for smart-phone games, angry birds, tower defense games and the likes), and realized how unplayable vintage games are without a controller...swipe the screen to move...no thank you.  This truly saddens me...and really makes me wonder what will happen to all of the "hardware" in the probably not-too-distant future.  Obviously people can do whatever they like, play games however they like, I just find it really depressing to think of people playing games like Pac-Man or other vintage classics on a smart-device with a touch-screen.  This now concludes the daily ranting of a crazy old man...now back to your regularly scheduled programming.  

I find it sad, also, and I'm not an old man -- yet. Vintage games should be played how they were originally intended to be played for optimal enjoyment and immersion. I'm afraid the smartphone has "ruined" the fun of playing these games that *we* on this forum still understand. There's just no comparison, and kids of today and tomorrow don't know what they're missing by not using the original joysticks and hardware to play the games properly.

Edited by zyzzle

I find it sad that you guys find it sad that people like to play games on smartphones. ?

In my opinion, now is the best time to be a gamer, period, and it only continues to get better. There are countless form factors and methods to play games and to play games exactly how you want at any given moment. Do you really think our younger selves would have complained about having a general purpose super computing communications device in our pockets at all times and wouldn't have played games on them as well?

I certainly don't expect any of my kids to play games I grew up with and loved on a regular basis. That's like asking a modern movie fan to stick mostly to silent movies. Why? They don't have the same connection to them. Can we still enjoy the occasional classic game together? You bet. Can we also enjoy playing a modern game like Fortnite together too? Yep.

As for "using the original joysticks and hardware," many of us who are still fans of vintage computers and video games sure do go out of our way to bring modern conveniences to the experience, no? The CollectorVision Phoenix is just one very relevant example of that. I don't think it's a bad thing to enjoy the games in a way other than through the original, sometimes fiddly original hardware. It's OK to evolve with the times and expect more, while still enjoying what we first loved all those years ago.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I many of us who are still fans of vintage computers and video games sure do go out of our way to bring modern conveniences to the experience, no? 

I think it is mainly due to the fact it become harder and harder to find a CRT Screen that works,  on Colecovision that works  , etc....   so we need to find some way to adapt our machine to modern device. It does not mean we like that, we are kinda force to that.  Most of us, i think would prefer to play with original devices  if they could.  Not everybody is able or have time to repair hardware. They just want play.

Edited by youki

24 minutes ago, youki said:

I think it is mainly due to the fact it become harder and harder to find a CRT Screen that works,  on Colecovision that works  , etc....   so we need to find some way to adapt our machine to modern device. It does not mean we like that, we are kinda force to that.  Most of us, i think would prefer to play with original devices  if they could.  Not everybody is able or have time to repair hardware. They just want play.

I don't know if I fully agree in the "forced" part. It's still easy enough to have a CRT if you really want one and there are still plenty of working original ColecoVisions out there. I think the desire to video mod a ColecoVision or to put a balltop on the controller or to do any number of other things is to make the experience more enjoyable overall. Even if some of us don't like to admit we've changed, we HAVE changed over the past 38 years, and our expectations with them. And I'll argue again that that's not a bad thing. I don't think any of us are ever trying to replicate the EXACT experience from our youth, just the essence of it, the fun of it.

• Like 3

On 7/27/2020 at 5:53 AM, youki said:

you said to much!

Ah, rats! ..I didn't even think about that part. My bad! ?‍♂️ Still though, it could be any number of games, so I don't think I revealed too much of anything.  Guess I should renew that AA subscription so I can edit my comments. ?

Anyways, as far as playing CV games by non-traditional means, I'm a hardcore original/real hardware guy, through & through and prefer to play my retro games that way. However, I recently started a job where I'm working nightshift, which has lots of downtime, so I figured I'd download some emulators and transfer some of my roms to my phone so I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone - getting my retrogaming fix while at work, all while killing some time. ? Using touch screen controls does suck big time but I'm considering buying some kind of controller to hook up to it. It's not ideal solution, but it's better than nothing and at least I can play some retrogames while away from home. :)

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I don't think any of us are ever trying to replicate the EXACT experience from our youth, just the essence of it, the fun of it.

I still use my old color television (20 inch crt) which I bought way back in 1993. In the last two years I have bought a few extra just to keep it all original. But I have also bought a few Sharp lcd monitors with scart and I love to use them too especially in combination with the MSX2. It's a pity that the old color tv's are disappearing and I simply don't have enough space to preserve them. And preservering means also maintainance. And that is also a problem. I am not a technician.

But, if you ask me how I got back into gaming I would tell you that it was due to the internet.  Someone told me about MAME and I still have it running on a Windows 98 pc. Yes, with the vertical scanlines to make it play like the original. I wish that I had all the arcade cabinets or at least the PCB's, but MAME gives me the same joy! To me videogames don't need to get better than the Arcade games till the year 1984/1985. Of course I have played with PS or Wii, but I am quite nostalgic ?!

Question: Has anyone already listened to the mystic melodies of the Sydney Hunter cd?

• Like 1