IGNORED

Atari 800 Stackpole keyboard

stuarts

Hi, I’m looking for replacement parts for an original Atari 800 (not 800xl) Stackpole keyboard (the kind with the yellow inner inserts, not the white ones)

I need 5 or so of the yellow replacement inserts for the keyboard.  They are the parts that fit into the keyboard and hold the spring, and have a vertical crossbar that keeps the key contacts separated.

They look kind of like a plastic hollow molar tooth.  On the computer I have they have become cracked and brittle

Or if you have an old keyboard that you want to sell that works (preferable) or doesn’t work, but has enough good parts, that might work too.

Thanks for your help!

Stuart

59 minutes ago, stuarts said:

Hi, I’m looking for replacement parts for an original Atari 800 (not 800xl) Stackpole keyboard (the kind with the yellow inner inserts, not the white ones)

I need 5 or so of the yellow replacement inserts for the keyboard.  They are the parts that fit into the keyboard and hold the spring, and have a vertical crossbar that keeps the key contacts separated.

They look kind of like a plastic hollow molar tooth.  On the computer I have they have become cracked and brittle

Or if you have an old keyboard that you want to sell that works (preferable) or doesn’t work, but has enough good parts, that might work too.

Thanks for your help!

Stuart

I just happen to have five of the yellow plungers.  Four look to be perfect and one has a small crack in one corner (see photo).  If you're CONUS, PM me and I'll send them.

DSC04716.thumb.JPG.673c4c78a255c3f5a65f1be50a65b4fe.JPG

Edited by ACML

I take it that the yellow and white plungers are not compatible? The description above of the yellow ones matches that of my white plungers. I have 2 that are cracked; the left shift key and the space bar. Both work fine, I only noticed when I was cleaning the key caps on my keyboard, but I'd still like to replace them. I tried repairing the space bar one with a small drop of super glue, but whatever type of plastic they use on the plungers just will not glue together with super glue, it's like they are immune to the stuff. It took be by surprise because I have successfully repaired similar XL keyboard plungers with a drop of super glue in the corner.

Edited by Gunstar

6 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

I take it that the yellow and white plungers are not compatible? The description above of the yellow ones matches that of my white plungers. I have 2 that are cracked; the left shift key and the space bar. Both work fine, I only noticed when I was cleaning the key caps on my keyboard, but I'd still like to replace them. I tried repairing the space bar one with a small drop of super glue, but whatever type of plastic they use on the plungers just will not glue together with super glue, it's like they are immune to the stuff. It took be by surprise because I have successfully repaired similar XL keyboard plungers with a drop of super glue in the corner.

You're in luck, I also happen to have about 13 white plungers for the HI-TEK keyboard.  PM me your address and I'll send them out.

Merry Christmas !!

DSC04722.thumb.JPG.51d35014eb3d9e4d547508d6c3539c7b.JPG  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ACML said:

You're in luck, I also happen to have about 13 white plungers for the HI-TEK keyboard.  PM me your address and I'll send them out.

Merry Christmas !!

DSC04722.thumb.JPG.51d35014eb3d9e4d547508d6c3539c7b.JPG  

Thank you so much!  But I don't think that they are compatible.  Merry Christmas to you too!

7 hours ago, Gunstar said:

Yeah they aren't compatible.  And yes I couldn't find any glue that would work.  Crazy glue didn't work and epoxy didn't work very well either.  I had a kind made specifically for plastic, and it made the inner plunger just a bit too big.  I might have been able to carefully sand it to make it fit, but it also made the inside a little too tight for the key to go in, and then would then make the plunger part jam in the sleeve part.  It is pretty frustrating.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gavin1968 said:

Wonder if I could model them and 3D print them? I would need one to use as a guide but I would be happy to try.

Unless you're 3D printer can produce a very and I mean very smooth surface, the plunger will likely just bind in the socket due to surface friction.  Those plungers have a very slick finish.   

3 hours ago, ACML said:

Unless you're 3D printer can produce a very and I mean very smooth surface, the plunger will likely just bind in the socket due to surface friction.  Those plungers have a very slick finish.   

An LED resin printer can do that kind of resolution but it's not cheap. It's what my friend @MakerMatrix uses to print the buttons on our 5200 controllers. However, it would be labor-intensive as hell to do a tray of dozens of them at once and then actually replace all the plungers on an 800 keyboard. I might discuss the idea with him in the coming year though just as a demonstration/proof of concept to see if it's even a viable option.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ACML said:

I am guessing my SLA printer could, maybe not but that would be the one that could

Yes you could print these with SLA tech.  But I think you'd need to use higher end engineering resin, and UV cure the parts at high temp to make the delicate bits strong enough.

I just did a short run of a discontinued Canon SLR part with this technique and they came out surprisingly well.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, SteamShovel Mike said:

I am refurbing my original 800 that spent too much time in my ex-wife's attic. I have the same problem, white plungers for a Hi-Tek keyboard split so they bind down and the key doesn't come back up. I would be willing to purchase replacements. Glue doesn't work. Thanks.

Ex-wives.  That is the problem...Indeed.

• Haha 1