IGNORED

PokeyONE not working

howerton

That is odd..  I test all 7800 homebrews on a real 7800 before applying the labels.  And especially with any POKEY/PokeyONE games to make sure the audio is working as expected.  I haven't had any reported failures of POKEY/PokeyONE games like this yet. 

How do you have your 7800 hooked up to your television/monitor?  Is the 7800 A/V modified?

Thanks,

..Al

On 12/23/2019 at 3:30 PM, Albert said:

I've seen this with A/V-modified systems and POKEY games, especially where all the audio is going through the POKEY.  All my systems have stereo output, and I need to make sure I mix the two lines together before they go to the TV/Monitor or you may not hear anything with POKEY games.

..Al

Yup, finally got Bentley Bear for christmas this year and love it! I have an A/V modded 7800, mono split to to both channels and it sounds great. Could be a channel issue with the mod? 

• Like 1

^^^^THIS^^^^

Many modders will follow the usual set of instructions and those have you take the audio from the bottom of the R5 and R6 connections. If you do that, you pretty much kill the Pokey audio output or it will be quite faint. Some who do these mods forget about the external audio line completely and just wire in stereo from the TIA directly. Naturally that means any game using a pokey won't be heard or at least the pokey parts will not be heard.

I mention how I do it on both the UAV installation guide and in my UAV installation video. Since the UAV doesn't include anything for audio, the audio portion can be used for pretty much any AV mod on the 7800, composite or s-video..etc.

The easiest method if you don't plan to use the RF anymore is to cut the leads from R5 and R6 on the end towards the back of the console or the 'North' legs as I call them. Twist them together. Then get a 10uf 16v cap and attach the + lead off the twisted resistors and run the a wire from the - lead of the cap to your RCAs.

If you want to keep the RF then you need to add another set of resistors attached to the 'South' legs of R5 and R6. Use a 6k8 for R5 and an 18k for R6. Then just like before you twist the unsoldered legs together of these new resistors you added and attach a capacitor just like before.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1