IGNORED

Video Game Commercial Thread!

3 hours ago, empsolo said:

And here is Atari Corp's desperation at its nadir:

Poor Atari...

I really think the XEGS can be better than the NES, but not the Famicom, because the XEGS can function as a computer that runs BASIC. The Famicom can as well, but not the NES.

Also, depending what kind of games you prefer, the Atari 8 bit line has a decent selection of games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluejay said:

Poor Atari...

I really think the XEGS can be better than the NES, but not the Famicom, because the XEGS can function as a computer that runs BASIC. The Famicom can as well, but not the NES.

Also, depending what kind of games you prefer, the Atari 8 bit line has a decent selection of games.

That brings to an interesting point I wanted to make. It maybe out of the scope of this particular thread, but I can't help notice the utter arrogance of some of the computer manufacturers of this time. I was looking at old issues of Analog and other computer magazines that were available here in the US. From some of the interviews and news articles about the resurrection of the home video game industry, you think it was the death knell of computing. I cant recall how many times I read a Commodore or Atari PR person or company rep, or whatever, say that "soon" parents will wake up the fact that the NES is not a computer and stop buying Nintendo stuff and buy thier kid an Amiga or ST. Insinuating that parents were morons for buying their kid a video game console.

Edited by empsolo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, empsolo said:

That brings to an interesting point I wanted to make. It maybe out of the scope of this particular thread, but I can't help notice the utter arrogance of some of the computer manufacturers of this time. I was looking at old issues of Analog and other computer magazines that were available here in the US. From some of the interviews and news articles about the resurrection of the home video game industry, you think it was the death knell of computing. I cant recall how many times I read a Commodore or Atari PR person or company rep, or whatever, say that "soon" parents will wake up the fact that the NES is not a computer and stop buying Nintendo stuff and buy thier kid an Amiga or ST. Insinuating that parents were morons for buying their kid a video game console.

Hahaaha.... The C64 Master Race :lol:

At the time, in high school, I had both an Atari 130XE computer and a NES.  The XE used for school work, programing, serious RPGs and "retro" early 80's gaming...while the NES was mainly for comtempary gaming, most of which was rentals.

• Like 1