IGNORED

New pcb for 800XL? It exist.

ZuluGula

5 minutes ago, ZuluGula said:

So I got black one with gold plating. I might have 3 (maybe 4) for sale in US. Anyone can help me to find boxes that there are abou 16x9x2 inches in size, and what would be the best way to ship it?

My rough estimate for BOM is around $200 for PAL and $170 for NTSC plus shipping, all new parts from Best/Digikey/China/Europe. If you have a working donnor, the BOM should be around 1/3 of that.

I'm considering ordering more in some crazy colour like purple or yellow, if there will be any interest (20 people). I'm considering making a kit with some parts that you have to source from Europe and China, so you will have to only order the rest from Best and Digikey or use a donor. I will have new SIO sockets, joystick ports, keyboard connector and power switches.

Very cool!

One question: how will you handle sourcing POKEYs?  Pretty much everything else is available, but those are either expensive or unavailable.

10 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Very cool!

One question: how will you handle sourcing POKEYs?  Pretty much everything else is available, but those are either expensive or unavailable.

Pokeymax

19 minutes ago, ZuluGula said:

So I got black one with gold plating. I might have 3 (maybe 4) for sale in US. Anyone can help me to find boxes that there are abou 16x9x2 inches in size, and what would be the best way to ship it?

My rough estimate for BOM is around $200 for PAL and $170 for NTSC plus shipping, all new parts from Best/Digikey/China/Europe. If you have a working donnor, the BOM should be around 1/3 of that.

I'm considering ordering more in some crazy colour like purple or yellow, if there will be any interest (20 people). I'm considering making a kit with some parts that you have to source from Europe and China, so you will have to only order the rest from Best and Digikey or use a donor. I will have new SIO sockets, joystick ports, keyboard connector and power switches.

How much are you considering selling them for?

33 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

How much are you considering selling them for?

I'm thinking $25-$30 plus shipping, all depends how much will cost me for shipping supplies. Or you can pick up in Chicago ;)

I need help finding boxes in that size. At Uline I will have to buy 50 at 3$ minimum. 

@ivop, yes, thanks for the tip.

Edited by ZuluGula

In all honesty, I'd pickup a cheap box from Wal-Mart. They have a handful of different sizes. The bubble-wrap would probably be in the same aisle. One-stop shopping. I'd say you'd be able to get shipping supplies for them for about $5-$6 each. That may be an odd size though. I've also found decent boxes of various sizes at Home Depot or Lowe's as well as the post office and FedEx/Kinkos stores.

2 hours ago, ZuluGula said:

Yes, those places have boxes but most of them are square. I think USPS charge more for large volume and anything over 12 inches. I need something that is long ~16" and thin ~2", I don't want people pay a lot for shipping. 

Uline has various size boxes, but the minimum order is 100.

https://www.uline.com/BL_1301/Kraft-Easy-Fold-Mailers

Here is an 18" x 12" x 3" literature mailer from Amazon that's 25 for $41.49($~1.66ea)

https://www.amazon.com/Aviditi-ML18123K-Literature-Mailer-Kraft/dp/B00K6EDL9C/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=cardboard+boxes+16"+x+12"&qid=1617390066&sr=8-14

Here is a multi-depth 16" x 12" box from the same manufacturer that's 25 for $31.88(~$1.28ea)

https://www.amazon.com/Aviditi-MD16126-Multi-Depth-Corrugated-Length/dp/B00BT3MH9E/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=cardboard+boxes+16"+x+12"&qid=1617390767&refinements=p_89%3AAviditi&rnid=2528832011&s=office-products&sr=1-4

Edit:

Here is a slightly smaller literature mailer that's 25 for $38.27(~$1.53ea)

https://www.amazon.com/Aviditi-ML17112K-Literature-Mailers-Kraft/dp/B00K6EEAWY/ref=sr_1_32?dchild=1&keywords=literature+mailer&qid=1617391934&s=industrial&sr=1-32

Edited by BillC

Was it mentioned which revision of the XL board he used?  I know he went off the published schematics from the service guide, but there were a lot of revisions to the boards later that added some more stability, heck even Chroma and Luma ... and Freddie.

Good information. The trouble is, I'm not at all familiar with all of the 8-bit mobo variations like I am with the ones for the ST line. I checked on Exxos' site and while there is a forum for 8-bit mobo variations, it has nothing in it but a couple of 2600 mobos and a 7800 mobo. No 8-bit computer mobo pictures or info at all. Is there another repository somewhere that we can get good details on all the different 8-bit mobo variations?

D is a fine one to work with, I will have to check my notes but I'm not sure if there were any revisions after that.  The next boards were the XL-Freddie in SECAM and PAL (convertible to NTSC).  There were still some errors on the XLF boards until the prototype 128K 130XE/XL.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Somebody on the Dutch 2nd hand craighslist "Marktplaats" has 2 800XL rev D remake pcb for sale. He asks 45 euro / piece.

Link -> https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/computers-en-software/vintage-computers/m1692487204-atari-800xl-rev-d-remake-pcb.html

description in English "New PCB, gold contacts, black mat finish". 2 sold. 2 are still for sale."

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
30 minutes ago, AtariGeezer said:

Cool, hopefully the sell for what you're asking...

There is the option to make an offer.  So, if there are some offers I can gauge what the market value (with free domestic shipping) is for one.  I didn't put international shipping in because I've shipped international before and realize that it would cost $25 or more to ship international with lots of paperwork.  Most of the time, the buyer then has to pay a VAT tax...which raises the price substantially.  At least one country even charges the buyer what amounts to a service fee to hold the item and do the paperwork so the recipient can pay the tax.  It's crazy.

Edited by reifsnyderb

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
30 minutes ago, hueyjones70 said:

I bought one of the boards and I am in the process of populating it and I have a couple of questions. There are too many holes for the RNs, do the RNs fit toward the front of the board or to the rear and what goes in the other holes. Also, is R900 a 100 Ohm resistor?

R900 is a 100 ohm resistor....used to add chroma.  L900 is the ferrite bead....you can omit the bead and install a jumper if you'd like.

The resistor networks are for the keyboard.  I checked the schematics and the 800XL Field Service Manual.  You can use 470 ohm resistors or the resistor networks.  Either will work.  Here's the KiCad info on the resistor networks:

294693021_resistornetworks.thumb.JPG.5ada3da29edcd936ed316cbb462ee469.JPG

1777234602_resistornetworks2.thumb.JPG.665905532a6d10b75652526bf0f60d47.JPG

163223749_resistornetworks1.thumb.JPG.ec4a1fa10074112cd56e7bc94ded3203.JPG

It looks like you'd put a resistor from 1 to 2, from 3 to 4, etc.

Best Regards,

Brian

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Like 1