IGNORED

Turning old slow obsolete laptops into dedicated Classic 99 units

Omega-TI

The title get your attention?  Seriously though, how many of you have old out of date laptops that run at a glacial pace?  How many of you also love Classic99?  Have you ever wondered if Classic 99 could have its own environment without Windows?  I'm imagining a useless old computer being useful again if it only booted up and ran Classic 99.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

simple, run xubuntu linux on it, and make it load classic99 with wine.. its super easy.. long as it has enough ram it should work fine

It's an ...old... POS Toshiba Laptop I cannot remember if it has 512MB 1, GB or 2 GB.  It currently has XP on it and it takes forever to boot up.  I dunno anything about Linux, let alone this Xubuntu variety or even Whine. 

I still think a ready to install OS image that would boot directly to the TI startup screen would be cool.  Is it gonna happen?  Probably not, but it would still be cool.

Omega, you can set whatever win32 application you want to be the "Shell" for windows.

You just need to set a registry key, and bob's your uncle.

http://georgechetcuti.com/windows/tweaks/changing-the-default-windows-shell-in-windows-7/

*the same key works for XP

Basically, just point that key at classic99 and see what happens.

Edited by wierd_w
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That looks pretty slick.  I'll look into this again in the next day or two.  If I eff it up, I can always reinstall the original version of Win7 from the CD.  I've never done any of the "under the floorboard stuff" with Windows before, so it'll be new to me, and again after I forget what I've done.

As for me, I suppose an option I might consider for very old PCs would be adding a boot menu option for launching V9T9 directly.  In the conventional DOS boot menu style, where my Win311/DOS PC's boot menu is currently

image.png.04659be484f05ac0b5bc956def2e65b4.png

But an option would be added to this to just start V9T9 (with Soundblaster and Adlib audio, and PC Card flash media drivers for removable CF storage)

That having said, my initial brief attempts to get V9T9 running have not been successful, so I may or may not take another stab at it (being a pretty frivolous exercise, admittedly). 

On 12/24/2019 at 11:31 PM, wierd_w said:

You have too many pans on the fire for my taste Tursi.

That's why I'm trying to stop taking on everyone else's projects and work on mine. ;)

But I'm letting people vote, firstly because I don't always want to decide, and secondly because if people really want something as badly as they claim they do, they should be willing to go click a box once a day till I do it. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, --- Ω --- said:

What about if we just slip you some PayPal cash?  Would that put us at the top of the list?

hehe. Taking bribes is why Cool Herders didn't get done. I missed out on having a published DS title just cause I wanted to have a job. ;)

• Haha 1