IGNORED

COMING IN 2020: MEAN SANTA FOR THE COLECOVISION

Kiwi

I've always wanted to do a holiday themed game for the Colecovision.  Mean Santa is a homebrew game for the Atari 2600.  It is one of the very first homebrew game I brought and gifted.  Also one of my favorite because it has a lot of content and unlockable modes. So I decided to start working on a Colecovision version with the permission from Tim.  He'll be publishing the game once it is finished since it is his game.  

Link to the Atari 2600 version on his website: http://www.2600connection.com/features/mean_santa/features_mean_santa.html

Here's the demo of the game: MeanSantaDemo.rom

This only contain the first neighborhood of 5 houses, and 1 dog house once the neighborhood been complete. No sounds yet. 

Here's the old gif of the game in action,

MeanSanta4.gif.3302da4042fe159c227d928905cfbbf7.gif

Enjoy and have a happy holiday!

• Like 6

I went ahead and added 1 unlockable, 2nd neighborhood, 1 weather effect, banana, 6 different sound effects, added additional message if you completed the 2nd neighborhood dog house.  One thing that I liked the Atari 2600 are the unlockable so this demo demonstrate that feature. 

To unlock the new mode, get under 1:20 in the first neighborhood. I got under 1 minute before, 'tis possible. After unlocking the mode, a menu now appear after pressing the fire button at the title screen.

Unfortunately the snowflakes knock you out of the sky in this short demo to increase the difficulty and sell more controller insurance due to broken controller from raging gamers.  In the release version, the weather effect will freezes/vibrates santa.

Gifeo of the new feature:

MeanSanta5.gif.f5c3efd93dd6b249220d49d469470df2.gif

Demo ROM:MeanSantaDemo2.rom

I'm going to try to add all 31 houses in this version then add some more.  Each rooms in ROM are 192 bytes each since I'm using metatiling technique to conserve ROM space.  And more unlockable modes not found in the Atari 2600 version.  Probably music will be added if space available. I'm aiming to have this game at 32KB maximum.  

Again, enjoy and have a happy holiday.  

• Like 3

This is coming along nicely. Keep up the great work!  I like how Santa falls out of the sleigh when hit by a rogue snowflake,  but the reindeer remain unharmed. A nice touch!

I was able to complete level 1 just under 1 minute and 20 seconds.... my time was 1:17!

Just made it by three seconds!  But enough time to unlock level 2!

Here is a screen shot with my best time for level 2:

mean santa coleco demo2.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/25/2019 at 11:09 PM, Kiwi said:

I went ahead and added 1 unlockable, 2nd neighborhood, 1 weather effect, banana, 6 different sound effects, added additional message if you completed the 2nd neighborhood dog house.  One thing that I liked the Atari 2600 are the unlockable so this demo demonstrate that feature. 

To unlock the new mode, get under 1:20 in the first neighborhood. I got under 1 minute before, 'tis possible. After unlocking the mode, a menu now appear after pressing the fire button at the title screen.

Unfortunately the snowflakes knock you out of the sky in this short demo to increase the difficulty and sell more controller insurance due to broken controller from raging gamers.  In the release version, the weather effect will freezes/vibrates santa.

Gifeo of the new feature:

MeanSanta5.gif.f5c3efd93dd6b249220d49d469470df2.gif

Demo ROM:MeanSantaDemo2.rom

I'm going to try to add all 31 houses in this version then add some more.  Each rooms in ROM are 192 bytes each since I'm using metatiling technique to conserve ROM space.  And more unlockable modes not found in the Atari 2600 version.  Probably music will be added if space available. I'm aiming to have this game at 32KB maximum.  

Again, enjoy and have a happy holiday.  

Thanks so much, Merry Belated Christmas! Trying this now on my Phoenix.

7 hours ago, harlock76 said:

what if you add a timer mode when santa enter the house ?

There will be a dog that sleep for a few seconds, and then wakes up and chases after you after house 15. 

MeanSanta6.gif.d85ccb3030950a07ee88e5cbd420d0f0.gif

There are 40 houses made and programmed.  I planned to add more doghouses for the designated difficulty level, the one shown will be put on either hard.  I think I made houses 30-39 too hard, so I made a 3 hearts health system like you see in Zelda games, for the final difficulty.  I added some toys that didn't make the cut on the Atari 2600 version and a couple new ones.  I'll say that this game is 80% done.  Just need to optimize the game for size and add some music tracks.  I'm aiming this game to be 32KB.  Right now, it weigh at 27.3KB and I'm guessing it'll be 23KB once I optimize the game.

11 hours ago, Mr. John ColecoVision said:

It would be great if you had  "Santa Clause is Coming to Town " for the music! 

Will there be a box & manual and maybe colored carts??

There will definitely be a manual. As for the box, I am considering one. Still planning and getting prices. I do not think there will be colored cartridges...but I will look into this.

Maybe red , green, or clear cartridges would be a nice touch, but may be costly.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, timdu said:

There will definitely be a manual. As for the box, I am considering one. Still planning and getting prices. I do not think there will be colored cartridges...but I will look into this.

Maybe red , green, or clear cartridges would be a nice touch, but may be costly.

Awesome, thanks for looking into it!

On 1/22/2020 at 3:43 AM, Kiwi said:

There will be a dog that sleep for a few seconds, and then wakes up and chases after you after house 15. 

MeanSanta6.gif.d85ccb3030950a07ee88e5cbd420d0f0.gif

There are 40 houses made and programmed.  I planned to add more doghouses for the designated difficulty level, the one shown will be put on either hard.  I think I made houses 30-39 too hard, so I made a 3 hearts health system like you see in Zelda games, for the final difficulty.  I added some toys that didn't make the cut on the Atari 2600 version and a couple new ones.  I'll say that this game is 80% done.  Just need to optimize the game for size and add some music tracks.  I'm aiming this game to be 32KB.  Right now, it weigh at 27.3KB and I'm guessing it'll be 23KB once I optimize the game.

great now what about snow falling effect  and some kind of ''against the wind'' effect as levels goes up

• 4 years later...