Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tonyscouter

Modifying the 5200 with the "Vintage Gaming and More" 2600/7800 mod

Recommended Posts

Has anyone used the Vintage Gaming and More composite mod for the 2600/7800 on the 5200 machine?  I know the RF modulator needs to be removed but do any other resistors or transistors need to be removed also?  I searched You Tube but I only found 5200 mods using a UAV board.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is another AV mod board that does it all for composite and s-video that can be had from here:

 

https://electronicsentimentalities.com/Assembled Mods.html

 

I have this exact one in my 4-port 5200 and have been very pleased with the quality of the output from it. It wasn't too difficult to install but did require me to pull the GTIA loose to solder its pins to the AV board. The UAV doesn't require any components to be removed permanently and provides similar results and in some cases, (Mainly the 2port units), it is much easier to install overall.

 

Also, all the AV mods known, will break the VCS adapter funcationality. In theory the UAV should still work, but I think the fact it takes over part of the 4050 buffer circuit is what still causes the VCS adapter to not work even with the UAV in place.

 

I would only advise use of one of these two methods for the 5200 as again I've installed and have experience with both.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, bradd1978 said:

http://blog.tynemouthsoftware.co.uk/2018/09/atari-5200-dc-in-and-composite-video-out.html?m=1
 

I found this a few weeks ago - using the basic 2600 video mod circuit, and removing a couple resistors you can get a really nice composite picture. I tested it and works great! Cheap and easy 😀

 

I can second this. The instructions on that site are a little off on labeling of a couple resistor locations but the mod is great. The resistor placement on a 2 port is a little different than the 4 port board shown on that site but it's pretty simple to adapt.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2019 at 1:58 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

There is another AV mod board that does it all for composite and s-video that can be had from here:

 

https://electronicsentimentalities.com/Assembled Mods.html

 

I have this exact one in my 4-port 5200 and have been very pleased with the quality of the output from it. It wasn't too difficult to install but did require me to pull the GTIA loose to solder its pins to the AV board. The UAV doesn't require any components to be removed permanently and provides similar results and in some cases, (Mainly the 2port units), it is much easier to install overall.

 

Also, all the AV mods known, will break the VCS adapter funcationality. In theory the UAV should still work, but I think the fact it takes over part of the 4050 buffer circuit is what still causes the VCS adapter to not work even with the UAV in place.

 

I would only advise use of one of these two methods for the 5200 as again I've installed and have experience with both.

 

 

Umm, I can +10 this kit. I've never had a problem with them as of yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, onemoretime said:

Umm, I can +10 this kit. I've never had a problem with them as of yet.

Except I've been told that the Electronic Sentimentalities has gone cold again on responding to emails etc...so apparently sales are once again suspended leaving on the UAV as the current all in one solution that gets the job done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2020 at 7:58 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Except I've been told that the Electronic Sentimentalities has gone cold again on responding to emails etc...so apparently sales are once again suspended leaving on the UAV as the current all in one solution that gets the job done.

Oh drat. I placed an order from their website over a month ago, but didn't hear anything from them. I came here to see if anyone knew about them. Any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, rmzalbar said:

Oh drat. I placed an order from their website over a month ago, but didn't hear anything from them. I came here to see if anyone knew about them. Any ideas?

I don't know any specifics. I know that a year or so ago the guy running the site and store had to suspend due to some personal issues. Then I think it was over this past summer, I heard he was taking and sending orders again. But I never placed any orders as I've just stuck with the UAV for the past few years now. But I had heard other stories like yours recently where people placed orders but never heard or received anything. It is too bad because I really do like his 5200 AV implementation. It is more complex to install, but I've really liked the results I've gotten from that board on the few 5200s I installed it in like my personal one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I don't know any specifics. I know that a year or so ago the guy running the site and store had to suspend due to some personal issues. Then I think it was over this past summer, I heard he was taking and sending orders again. But I never placed any orders as I've just stuck with the UAV for the past few years now. But I had heard other stories like yours recently where people placed orders but never heard or received anything. It is too bad because I really do like his 5200 AV implementation. It is more complex to install, but I've really liked the results I've gotten from that board on the few 5200s I installed it in like my personal one.

 

Darn, I wish there were an indication on his web store that he can't process orders; his page shows as in-stock and ships within a couple of days. :(  I'll wait for a while longer, but I need to set a reminder to submit a case before the statutory limit expires in the event I don't hear back. I really try to avoid that as I know it might cause trouble down the road, and life events must be going poorly if they can't switch off the store.

Edited by rmzalbar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...