IGNORED

What was your first game console?

bluejay

The first console in our house was a Binatone orange and silver pong machine but the first one I got that I specifically asked for was a 2600.  I got it late though.  It was May 1983 and I'd just turned 14.  I wanted one long before then but I just knew my dad would never get one for me so I never asked.  By the time I got it, everyone in the UK had moved onto home computers like the ZX Spectrum and C64 and because Atari cartridges were so much more expensive than computer games, which could also be copied off friends, I succumbed to the lure of a computer soon after and sold my 2600 after owning one for just a few months.  For reasons I won't go into here, I have zero nostalgia for my first home computers but am full of nostalgia for the 2600 and regret not owning one for longer.  That was my main reason for looking up Atari online one day in late 2017.  After discovering atariage, a healthy retro gaming scene I didn't know existed and then discovering homebrews my mind was blown.  I felt like that teen who craved an Atari 2600 all over again and since buying one and becoming part of the atari community in my small way, every day has felt like Christmas Eve.  I kid you not.  It's a lovely feeling.

My answer is a bit complicated...

The first console my family had was a originally PlayStation that they got in 1998, before I was born. It was also how I first heard about Spyro and Crash Bandicoot, having the original trilogy of Spyro games as well as the third crash game.

The first to call my own was a Leapfrog Leapster. I think it was the original model too. I don’t own it anymore unfortunately. 

The first non-educational console I had is a Nintendo DSI XL I got on my birthday in 2012. I got Cars 2 the video game and a Chevrolet Camero game on it. 

EDIT: The first Non-Handheld console I got was a Xbox 360 Slim in Christmas 2012.

Edited by RichardElric

We had some sort of gaming system in 1982 that had built in games like bowling, a shooting gallery game, etc..  My stepdad bought it somewhere and my brother and I only played it for 2 months that summer then we went back to Texas to live with my dad. 

In 1984, we got a new Mattel Aquarius (system for the 70's, lol) which was our first console/home computer.  The next year we also got a ColecoVision.  We had access to our cousins' Atari 2600 since 1980, though.  

Although my family had a Colecovision that they bought my older sister when I was a baby in 1982, my first console that I could call mine was the NES. Got the Deluxe Set with R.O.B. on Christmas morning in 1987. As a 5 year old, playing Gyromite with a robot was the coolest thing ever! Later in the day, my aunt and uncle gave me Super Mario Bros. I'll never forget that! Still have both the NES and the Colecovision in my collection today.