IGNORED

U1MB what model of Atari A8?

Bee

So I have a preference for the 130XE, the Cart pointing out the back is just cleaner for me.  Of the Computers I have the 130XEs' are the ones having problems and are known to be the worst built mainboards.  The 800XL is a Tank, mine is still working 41 years later,  is it the best choice for an upgrade?  Last is my newest Atari and I think the cleanest look even with an upward Cart port the XE Game System.    I'm looking for other peoples thoughts here.

Thank you

We have a stock 130XE that has been running almost continuously (except about 5 weeks of vacation per year) for at least 5 years (without much typing though). Keyboard mylar and improved silicon key cups are available from Best Electronics.

130XE and XEGS will require more soldering if your 800XL is socketed. Can‘t comment on the XE traces as I‘ve never tried to solder on one.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, slx said:

We have a stock 130XE that has been running almost continuously (except about 5 weeks of vacation per year) for at least 5 years (without much typing though). Keyboard mylar and improved silicon key cups are available from Best Electronics.

130XE and XEGS will require more soldering if your 800XL is socketed. Can‘t comment on the XE traces as I‘ve never tried to solder on one.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I can't recommend the improved silicon key cups are available from Best Electronics enough.  I enjoy my upgraded 130XE keyboard more than the 1200XL with them.

• Like 1

I've desoldered things from both XL and XE computers. The XEs are definitely more fragile than the XLs. If you're going to put a U1MB into a 130XE, you're going to have to desolder stuff and install sockets. If you put one in an 800XL, you might or might not have to do any desoldering, depending on the board revision and which factory built it. Earlier examples tend to be fully socketed, later examples mostly soldered, so your mileage will definitely vary there. 

• 1 month later...

So I decided to have a XEGS upgraded to a U1mb with a Sophia Rev. C & TK-II-XEGS-S.  Here it is set up as a fully portable sytem.  I'm checking run time now.  I really need a wireless PS2 Keyboard capable of F10 to launch the menu.  It is working well with a wired Keyboard now.

Tested with a 16:9 5v HDMI screen - It will have a 4:3 as soon as it arrives in the mail, next Thursday.

APOC.thumb.jpg.31702e8e4ce1e976a2ecd214182fc23c.jpg

Thank you

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

So I stopped at The Brewing Academy today to check it out. I made arrangements because I was only 45 minutes away. Normally I'm 400 miles away.  I had my U1mb installed in a XEGS along with Sophia Rev. C.  It is a sweet system when used with my Side 2.  The work is top notch.  I can't say more good things.  If you need work and are in the US,  reach out to The Brewing Academy.  I stopped to say hi, have a coffee and I just placed another order for work.  It will get its own post when I have it in hand.

Thank you

• Like 1