Boojakascha

Future of light gun gaming?

Salut

Mid December I finally received the PDP Mars light gun system and I played it a lot since then. I even released a full review:

Very unfortunately the system wasn't able to hold it's promises. I write here because I would love to hear what you think will be the future of light gun gaming?

I guess laser assisted systems will never make the cut, because they are too expensive and too sophisticated. As PDP showed us low price versions of it will lack the necessary quality.

I have high hopes for Andy's Sinden light gun, but I don't know anybody (besides Andy) with first hand experiences...

Personally I would love to see IR reference light system guns gaining back some attention. The Guncon 3 was great and the Ultimarc products still are. But their reputation was permanently damaged by shitty products (to which I count the Nintendo Wii).

I don't think there is a future, at least for me personally.  I prefer to play on original hardware, and none of these solutions work with the old systems, only emulators.  HDTV's have been manufactured in various ways, between Plasma, LCD, OLED, etc, and run on different frequencies, unlike the old days of NTSC CRT's. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Greg2600 said:

I don't think there is a future, at least for me personally.  I prefer to play on original hardware, and none of these solutions work with the old systems, only emulators.  HDTV's have been manufactured in various ways, between Plasma, LCD, OLED, etc, and run on different frequencies, unlike the old days of NTSC CRT's. 

While I understand your desire, your are not 100 % correct, Sir. There are IR reference light system based light guns (Wii like) for Xbox and PS2. Furthermore NES games can be patched to account for the screen lag of LCD displays which allows them to work with cheap guns which lack a frequency filter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluejay said:

The future was, is, and will always be the NES Zapper.

You mean that ironic, but joking aside if Jakks Pacific ever recognizes the truth that this technology is still relevant today and would make some light gun plug and plays based on it they would earn a pile of money.

• Like 2

Have you played PSVR?  The move controllers are about as perfect for light gun gaming as you can get.  Traditional light guns will never be anything close. 

Not sure about the "future" of lightgun gaming, but yeah, the present is VR. For example:

Superhot

Pistol Whip

Space Pirate

House of the Dead or Virtua Cop would be neat in this environment. 

4 hours ago, Skarrj said:

Have you played PSVR?  The move controllers are about as perfect for light gun gaming as you can get.  Traditional light guns will never be anything close. 

I haven't yet! Honestly I am skeptical^^ I guess time will tell, but I don't see anything ever going to be as precise/accurate as raster based scanning.

3 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Not sure about the "future" of lightgun gaming, but yeah, the present is VR. For example:

Superhot

Pistol Whip

Space Pirate

House of the Dead or Virtua Cop would be neat in this environment. 

I indeed play the latter two. I guess with a setup < 2K USD it doesn't challenge classical light gun gaming as it's freaking hard to see the sights on older/cheaper goggles. 

@Boojakascha Oculus Quest is self contained (no PC, no wires), starts at $400, and looks awesome. I was skeptical but am now a believer. It's still too expensive for mainstream but hopefully the price will come down with time. 

3 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

@Boojakascha Oculus Quest is self contained (no PC, no wires), starts at $400, and looks awesome. I was skeptical but am now a believer. It's still too expensive for mainstream but hopefully the price will come down with time. 

The display is still grainy and the tracking is not as precise as anything using light house technology.

OK. You're pickier than me. Once it starts moving I don't notice the pixels, and it seems super immersive and responsive  to me. I'm comparing it to Duck Hunt and Virtua Cop, and haven't tried enough modern VR to know any better. My ignorance is bliss. 

I have PSVR...just not that big a fan (though DOOM VR is....f'ing amazing). I don't want to put a helmet with cords on to shooty-shoot....I just want the damn gun.

As previously mentioned, I'm baffled that in this nostalgia flooded market, somehow no one (Namco???) has come up with a "plug and play" light gun that includes all their old gun games and works on a modern TV via HDMI.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GoldenWheels said:

I have PSVR...just not that big a fan (though DOOM VR is....f'ing amazing). I don't want to put a helmet with cords on to shooty-shoot....I just want the damn gun.

As previously mentioned, I'm baffled that in this nostalgia flooded market, somehow no one (Namco???) has come up with a "plug and play" light gun that includes all their old gun games and works on a modern TV via HDMI.

^^ well they did but it sank unfortunately. It is/was called "Sure Shot HD" but sadly almost no major companies supported it, and just few games were released. It's really good actually.