IGNORED

Retro Collecting Goals for 2020

I have almost everything I want after collecting for 40 years.

I am looking forward to purchasing the Amico later this year as I am an Intellivision lover first and foremost. 

I also would like to help others collect through my knowledge and information.

And maybe by selling off games I never play for systems other than the intellivision. 

I have too much stuff. Thought I would never be fortunate enough to say that!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 12/30/2019 at 3:35 PM, CatPix said:

As far as hardware goes, the number of machines I want is drying down fast.

The machine I dearly want to find :

- Intellivision SCART RGB model

- Yamaha YIS503IIIR КУВТ 2 (a MSX2 Computer made by Yamaha for the Soviet Computer Education program)

kompyuter-yamaha-yis-503iiir-kubt2-msx-n

- Everdrives!

IMG_3489.thumb.JPG.5da5b3c4f84f2295b2f8bb275eedf864.JPG

IMG_3495.thumb.JPG.2795b3a6f0a7574a7a90669365701ba1.JPG

Well, that was fast... :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, godslabrat said:

I'm planning to really boost my GBA/DS collection, particularly of compilations of games from earlier generations.  Atari, INTV, Sega, NES/SNES... I'd like to have a lot more by December.

Yeah, I love collecting for the GBA and DS. Keep an eye out for the various Game and Watch compilations (3 on GBC, one on GBA) and the Phantasy Star compilation on GBA (which, sadly does not include the best one, IV).

26 minutes ago, dj_convoy said:

Yeah, I love collecting for the GBA and DS. Keep an eye out for the various Game and Watch compilations (3 on GBC, one on GBA) and the Phantasy Star compilation on GBA (which, sadly does not include the best one, IV).

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for!!  I really want to be able to use my GBA and 3DS to play the classics.  Yeah, I could get flash carts or multi carts, and I'm not saying I won't... but getting a lot of legit stuff would be great.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 1:29 PM, Keatah said:

A childhood machine often trumps superior models in the same lineup. In my world that means I'd rather have an Apple II+ and //e instead of a IIgs.

So very true- I spent about double the replacement cost & drove an hour away to get my Xbox repaired, becuase I wanted that specific machine- it was the one my fiance bought new back in the day, and went through each of his siblings before getting to me.

Also a big part of why I bought a Gameboy, despite owning GBCs/GBAs/etc.

5 hours ago, dj_convoy said:

A house is the ultimate gaming accessory.

This. My shared one bedroom apartment can only take so much, LOL

Anyway, here are my goals for this year:

• Get a MISTer setup (this one is my top goal for the year)
  • Sell off excess consoles (namely the Neo Geo AES, PC Engine Duo-R and my excess Game Boys)
  • Install an ODE in my Saturn and sell off my Saturn games
  • Get my Intellivision AV modded
  • Sell off excess controllers
  • Get an Everdrive 64
  • Like 1

It's 2 months into the new year and I haven't done much except purchase a few necessities for my PC operations. Nothing vintage yet aside from a spare Pentium III processor.

I'm likely up for another round of purging, mostly useless (to me) software packages that were a dime a dozen BITD and still quite readily available on ebay.

Main focus is still books and documentation and small spare parts. No new consoles or whole computers.

• Like 1

I love these open ended questions at the beginning of the year. Thinking about it more, this seems like a good opportunity for me to consolidate my goals and therefore have something to focus on...

1) Do NOT increase my available cart display space.

2) Meet some new local retro game enthusiasts and host a get-together.

3) Locate a handful of common/medium-rare games I'm seeking, mostly Atari 7800 and Colecovision.

4) get the Phoenix hooked up, when and if it arrives.

5) get the pinball/arcade games working again (5).

Explainations if anyone cares. ? :

1) although I obsess over it, part of how I keep myself a sane and functional human being who collects old games is I have a limited area to store and display my carts. Therefore I must choose carefully and not accumulate too much. My method of choice are a couple of Kellogg's mini cereal displays from the 30's, that my parents stole from an abandoned restaurant several decades ago. I've restored them and more or less built my game room around them. These two identical racks house my favorite carts for the eight systems I collect for.

If I wanted to expand my cart display space, I'd have to either break my design rule by building a new shelf of some sort, or buy another antique Kellogg's cereal display.  The cheapest one on eBay right now is $600... Which I can't afford.

SO... My chief goal is actually a negative. I'm not sure if that's practical or disfunctional, but I figure it will help keep the marriage going either way.

2). Anyone live in the Sierra's? I'm a bit bummed that moving to the mountains has made it harder to find casual retro gamers. There's a few out here, but not enough for a good Warlords night, or even just impromptu 2p Mario Bros most of the time. Hit me up if you live out here. I have the only arcade in Rough & Ready.

3) Somehow, through means magical or mundane, I ended up with 3 new working consoles in my life in just one year. The Atari 7800, the ColecoVision (hopefully if 2nd round Phoenix happens), and the Intellivision.

There's no way I'm collecting for the Intellivision.  Well, actually that's not true since I've got two binders full of controller inserts and manuals... I mean CARTS. I bought a LTO flashcart last year and finally got it all set up _tonight_.  Seems like a solid answer, although it was doing weird things when I was running it through my Intellivoice. I might want to start a topic on that.

The 7800 tho is my new mistress. I want a few more classics for it, all pretty cheap, but money is tight so I gotta trickle them in s.l.o.w.l.y...

Anyone know where I can get a cart of Plutos these days?

4) kinda mentioned this earlier... I'm prepaid for a unit from the second round of production for the Phoenix system from CollectorVision.

I never really considered owning a ColecoVision prior to last year, but it was the fact that I discovered a homebrew game with my daughter's name in the title that finally put me over the edge for this. Miraculously I was able to score the cart, although I don't even own the system... Still.

If anyone is considering ordering a Phoenix, now's the time!  If they don't get enough preorders they won't make it, and if they do this will be the last run. So do it... Buy one before they go for a grand on eBay. (Also the NTT Data controller is awesome and this gives you a reason to own one)

And finally...

5). Fix at least one of my damn pinball games. They worked great right before the move (although Black Knight bugged out a week before disassembly, but it's always been a bitch like that). They remain in the garage awaiting my priorities... Get established in new job, build barn, fix fences, prune the orchard, raise 2 infants, etc.

I just want to spend a solid week getting one running and bug free, which used to be EASY when I was single. Now... Just let me get ONE going!

Maybe I can talk my wife into taking the kids to her dad's for a few days this year. Wish me luck. It's not just for me, it's for the greater good of Pinball Preservation.

Thank you, dear reader, if you've actually read and digested all this. It was mostly for me, but I tried to sprinkle it with humor for -YOU!  No no... No thanks is needed... Just continue to sort your own collecting goals as I have, and may you realize them. That is my truest reward.

Yours sincerely,

CaptainBreakout

• Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 10:58 AM, dj_convoy said:

A house is the ultimate gaming accessory.

Indeed. More specifically a "gaming room" that doesn't necessarily look like a gaming room at all. At least for me. I prefer the cozy warmth of modern rustic with a touch of hanging carpets for noise absorption. Big open spaces, especially flat walls or cathedral ceilings just reverberate and echo the sound all over the place. The slightest unintended noise seems to be amplified 10x and it beyond annoying.

But. Accessory.. Yes. You want your own spot to entertain and host. Absolutely. A place that vibrates with your style.

I know all too many gamers spending BuxDeluxe on paraphernalia all the while living in cramped quarters and renting. Their logic, however flawed it may be, is to accumulate the games and stuff while they can, now. AND THEN get the gaming room last. Shit I even did that for a while decades ago so who am I to lecture? Just that it doesn't work well.