IGNORED

Which step down converter for a Japanese PS2 in the UK?

Ross PK

On the back of the PS2 it says 100v 50w 50/60hz on it.

On the plug on the PS2 power lead it says 125v 6a.

What exact step down converter do I need for it? What voltage, amps, watts and hz needs to be written on the step down converter?

I tried doing some research myself, and I usually read that you need a 220v to 110v step down converter,  but wouldn't 110v be too much for my 100v PS2?

SAM_9879.JPG

SAM_9881.JPG

110V is fine for Japanese power supplies.

You can use any run-of-the-mill step down transformer. If you are unsure about it but you're ready to use a screwdriver, you can try to find a dead european PS2 and swap the Japanese power supply with an european one. It's more heavy work but then you'll be at peace without fear of frying your PS2.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110-Volt-pour-240-Volt-Reduction-Transformateur-USA-a-UK-45-Watt-Prise-UK/254438369183?_trkparms=aid%3D1110001%26algo%3DSPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160323102634%26meid%3Dc139a311636a4d4cbae85c2a719ace88%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D184089044394%26itm%3D254438369183%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

This one should do the trick.

Voltage isn't a critical value : 110 volts will equally work for Japanese 100 volts appliances and American 120 volts appliances.

If you really are worried, there is this model :

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/70W-AC-Voltage-Converter-70-Watt-220V-230V-240V-Step-Down-Japan-100V-110V-120V/264482489315?hash=item3d946283e3:g:M88AAOSw6E5dkZTY

Which allow you to select between 100 and 117 volts.

On 12/29/2019 at 10:15 AM, CatPix said:

If you are unsure about it but you're ready to use a screwdriver, you can try to find a dead european PS2 and swap the Japanese power supply with an european one. It's more heavy work but then you'll be at peace without fear of frying your PS2.

That’s not an option for the OP unfortunately as these early PS2s use a different power supply than any other model.

Yep, I forgot to mention that. It's a standard power cord and as such it's rated/labelled with the maximum power it can draw/it's certified for (there is always a safety marging).

It kinda have to do with the system in that we can assume the PS2 can't possibly draw more than 6 amps@125 volts :D Unless it's not the original cord.

Given that he PS2 here is rated for 100V 50 watts :

I=P/U : 50/100 : 0.5A

(given we're in AC and not DC we should add the cos phi but for a ballpark estimation and such small values like here we can ignore it)

Thanks for the help guys, I'm pretty near to buying one now.

There's just one thing though, I've read often online that the wattage of the converter should be higher, even double the wattage of the device. Yet several people online have recommended me step down converters that are of a lower wattage than my PS2, like 45 watts for example, yet my PS2 is 50 watts.

So what I'm getting from this is that having a conveter that has a higher wattage than the PS2 isn't important? Does anyone know why?

Edited by Ross PK

You NEED a higher wattage so that it doesn't go over that and damage something... it's like with PCs... if you try to ad more components than your power supply can handle it will crash the system or just flat out make it shut off. If the system expects 50 watts and can only pull 45 it's going to be starved for power.

I'm most tempted by getting this one even though it costs a lot more, as I feel more comfortable with the fact that it does output 100v, plus if I were to end up with another foreign console that is 110v I can use that with the converter too as it also outputs 110v. Will it be fine for my PS2?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-AC-AC-500W-Converter-CT-500-220v-110v-100v/123998278797?hash=item1cdedf948d:g:U68AAOSwgGJd5tAQ

Edited by Ross PK

Depends on the quality of the step-down transformer, but not alot. Those step-down transformers use standard "copper" transformers, which always waste some power into heat.

They also draw power when there is no load (altough minimal) so for both economy and getting more useable time out of that transformer, always use the mains switch, or even better, unplug it (you don't know if the mains switch cut the mains power before or after the transformer).

From what I gathered from Internet, older/simpler models have a 80% efficiency, and newer models have up to 95% efficiency.

In your case, if we take the least favorable case, 50*1.8 = 90Watts.

So when using that PS2 you will (at worst) use 90 watts instead of 50.

According to Internet, electricity in the UK cost an average of 14.37p per kilowatt. So running this PS2 on an inefficient step down transformer for one hour will cost you a whopping 1.29 PENNIES :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I've received it today but I'm a bit worried about plugging it in as the voltage in the UK is 230v, and on the step down converter it says the input is 220v. Will it definitely be okay to plug it in?

Btw, here's my unboxing video of it if anyone is interetsed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cR8HB46ZTE

Edited by Ross PK

On 12/28/2019 at 6:01 PM, Ross PK said:

On the back of the PS2 it says 100v 50w 50/60hz on it.

On the plug on the PS2 power lead it says 125v 6a.

What exact step down converter do I need for it? What voltage, amps, watts and hz needs to be written on the step down converter?

I tried doing some research myself, and I usually read that you need a 220v to 110v step down converter,  but wouldn't 110v be too much for my 100v PS2?

SAM_9879.JPG

SAM_9881.JPG

Life would be easier to sell this and buy a model that has the external power brick. Some have either a multi-region 100-220V 50/60Hz power supply or you can swap an external brick at 100V for a 220V UK one or you can just buy a region-free modded PS2. I think these transformers tend to buzz.

2 hours ago, Swami said:

Life would be easier to sell this and buy a model that has the external power brick. Some have either a multi-region 100-220V 50/60Hz power supply or you can swap an external brick at 100V for a 220V UK one or you can just buy a region-free modded PS2. I think these transformers tend to buzz.

I'm pretty sure now the transformer will be fine, as I've been doing some more research and watching a few Youtube videos.

I wanted the fat PS2 because I  have a custom shell and only 2 or 3 Japanese models will fit inside it, plus I  find the fact that it's the first ever model, and that it has some pretty big differences over most other PS2's appealing.

It's just a simple case now of plugging the transformer into the mains and plugging the PS2 into the transformer. It would actually make life more easier to not sell the PS2 and buy a slimline version.

Plus I can use the transformer for other consoles.

Edited by Ross PK

19 hours ago, Ross PK said:

Hey guys, I've received it today but I'm a bit worried about plugging it in as the voltage in the UK is 230v, and on the step down converter it says the input is 220v. Will it definitely be okay to plug it in?

Btw, here's my unboxing video of it if anyone is interetsed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cR8HB46ZTE

Yes, it is.

220 volts is either a legacy printing or you got an old model; tho in most European countries the grid had been switched to 230 volts years before the change was officially made (and same goes for the UK which had a 240 volts grid before).

A 10Volts difference is absolutely harmless and if your power supply is a good one it will compensate for the extra voltage easily.