IGNORED

Saturn HDMI solution

Yakumo1975

Lack the ability to use RGB? Stuck using crappy composite video or the slightly better S-Video? Then maybe you need the RAD2X HDMI solution for your Sega Saturn. Full review and side by side comparison to RGB. I bought my own unit from Retro Gaming Cables UK. Here's the link - https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sega/saturn/SEGA-SATURN-NTSC-HD-RAD2X-HDMI-480P-CABLE

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

Reverse?

Assume he means that the L/R is reversed on the Hyperkin cable? My understanding is that the Rad2x is a better option since it shouldn't introduce any more lag in the conversion. The Hperkin cables and their ilk, will add additional lag. I've got a set of the Hyperkin Genesis cables and there is a noticable difference between using it to play a game vs just using my HDRetrovision cables through my OSSC. 

It also still looks better through the HDretrovsion cables to the OSSC than the Hyperkin cable did as the image was darker and had more blur in the motion.

I always try to eye up cables like these because I know that even my 1080 flatscreen with a scart port will one day go bust and I will be left with having to convert my signal through the cheap converters, which right now is working for me... but I prefer to have as little cables and power supplies between my console and tv as I can. Would be helpful if someone here buys it, especially if they are traditionally an RGB person. I'm happy enough with the Scart to HDMI converter when I'm streaming... but not when I'm playing offline, I like my pixels.

I'm pretty trusting of retroRGB and he's pretty negative on the hyperkin front, which I'm so glad I double checked on because I was probably 5 minutes away from buying the whole set of cables at one point when it looked like my TV was going to die. I have dozens of products that use scart cables even if its just composite ?

All of the RAD2X cables have pretty high marks from sources I trust. They are built on the framework laid down by Mike Chi with his RetroTINK 2X device. These cables are essentially single-system versions of that line-doubler. Definitely great if you only have one old system you need to play on an HDTV. If you have several, the RetroTINK2X is a better bargain @ around $100.

Here's a rundown on the device I did last year:

4 hours ago, Cafeman said:

Does the Hyperkin cable reverse the left/ right audio, as I've read that some of these Saturn HDMI solutions do that? 

That's a deal breaker for me. 

Hyperkin stuff is generally cheap crap from what I've experienced.  This one doesn't do that.

I've updatd the video to cover a few points that some people asked in the comments to the old video.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

As StuOhQ said, RAD2X is built on Mike Chi's RetroTINK 2X, just single-system. The downside to the RetroTINK 2X is that it relies on YPbPr for the best signal quality, and HDRetrovision cables are hard to get right now, or the price is way jacked up. 

Another alternative based on the same tech is the RetroTINK 2XSCART, which takes RGBS inputs via SCART cable isntead of YPbPr, composite, and S-Video. https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/retrotink-2x-scart

Around the time you hit three total systems, the RetroTINK 2XSCART pays for itself over individual RAD2X devices. All the RAD2X's are around $50 (40 GBP), plus $15 in shipping (13 GBP) for a single unit. For $195 (3x 65) you can get a RetroTINK 2XSCART, the SCART cables you need, and SCART switch on eBay. Up until that point, though, the RAD2X is cheaper for two of those.

I'd never buy another Hyperkin HDMI adapter. I got one for my N64 and ended up exchanging it TWICE via Amazon to get one that worked at all, and then it didn't work for more than 20 minutes before it burned out. Got a refund and got my N64 modded. Insurrection Industries SCART cable fixed it.

Never again, Hyperkin.

Never.

Again.