IGNORED

Atari Flashback 4 p2->p1 IR controller mod?

Hello!  I picked up a Flashback 4 today, but it only came with the P2 controller. I was just wondering if it were possible to convert the P2 controller to be used as P1?   I have a couple extra small buttons I could solder on the board, to add the 3 external buttons on the p1, if need be.  I'd just like to get some fun out of the little system. :)

I'm almost certain that this is probably covered a dozen times over in this forum somewhere, I just haven't had much luck sifting through the tombs of knowledge contained here. :)

• 3 months later...

Hi.

I missed this post, sorry.  It is possible to change a P2 to a P1 by changing some resistors and adding the required buttons.  Another option is modding a standard joystick to give you the extra buttons.

If you still want to work on this, reply letting me know if you want the wireless or standard mod and I’ll dig out the information.

• 4 months later...
On 3/29/2020 at 10:38 AM, boggis the cat said:

Hi.

I missed this post, sorry.  It is possible to change a P2 to a P1 by changing some resistors and adding the required buttons.  Another option is modding a standard joystick to give you the extra buttons.

If you still want to work on this, reply letting me know if you want the wireless or standard mod and I’ll dig out the information.

I have an FB4 with a non-working P1 joystick. Would appreciate any info available on the IR joysticks, modding and repair.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2020 at 6:43 AM, slx said:

I have an FB4 with a non-working P1 joystick. Would appreciate any info available on the IR joysticks, modding and repair.

Hi.

Sorry for the late reply.  I don’t get on here often.

I misread the first post and thought it referred to the Flashback 9 type of joysticks.  Those are fairly obvious to modify.

I haven’t seen the IR variants — the FB4 I had years ago I sold on and never inspected the innards of the joysticks — but you should open both up and compare the two boards.  Most likely there will be a few components missing on one board (the P2), and of course the buttons.  If you modify the P2 board to be like the P1 then you should be able to swap it in.

Unfortunately the components will most likely be tiny surface mount resistors.  If you haven’t done any soldering before then it’ll be a bad idea to start with this project, due to the high risk of failure.

• Like 1