IGNORED

Have an XB1, where to get digital deals?

godslabrat

So, I took the plunge on an XB1, and though I'm totally a physical media guy... in this case, I decided to do digital.  Mostly because it's the end of the system's lifespan, and the number of games I want for the thing is less than six.

How often does the MS online store have sales, and where can I keep tabs on which games are on sale?

• Like 1

Beside things like the Summer, Holiday, etc sales, most of the sales start on Tuesday and last a week.  There is always a sale running it seems.  I would recommend going to True Achievements and checking the site out.  They have a tracker for games so alert you when they go on sale and they post the sales pretty much as soon as they go up.  Much easier than trying to browse the MS store. 

• Like 2

^^ all that stuff 

Also follow CheapAssGamer for deals, as well as Wario64 on Twitter. Something is always on sale. 

I subscribe to Xbox Live Gold just for the Games With Gold feature, even though I almost never play online. They give away 4 games every month. The Xbone games are tied to your keeping a subscription but the XB360 games are yours forever. 

Whether GamePass or Gold makes more sense to you depends on how much you play. I was able to convert Gold months into GamePass for next to nothing, but I think that deal is over now. It's a good price no matter what though, because the catalog is deep. 

Check out the lineup. https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass/games

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed....CheapAssGamer is a great site to keep tabs on for timely game deal information. I try to visit regularly. Regarding the upgrade from Xbox Live subscription to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, I’m almost certain that is still going on. You can pre-pay up to 36 months of Xbox Live, then upgrade all of your prepaid months to an Xbox Games Pass Ultimate subscription for $1. Not $1 per month of your remaining subscription, but $1! I personally think that’s a hell of a deal. Again, if you’re thinking you might be interested in biting on that deal, I’d verify that it’s still available. But not to long ago Major Nelson called it a ‘Life Hack’ and not just a short timed deal, and while it could go away at any time, there was no current deadline on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I upgraded to Ultimate for the $1 cost mentioned above.  The games available are a good mix of indie and big name titles, and I have been shocked at how much I enjoy it.  I've been slow to move away from physical media, but Ultimate has changed my thinking about buying games entirely.  When I see a physical game on sale now, my first thought is "do I have this on gamepass."  If the answer is yes then I ask "Do I really need a forever copy?"  I rarely answer "yes" to that last question anymore.  Even though the games change periodically, Gamepass has converted me to like 99% digital.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 3:56 PM, wongojack said:

I upgraded to Ultimate for the $1 cost mentioned above.  The games available are a good mix of indie and big name titles, and I have been shocked at how much I enjoy it.  I've been slow to move away from physical media, but Ultimate has changed my thinking about buying games entirely.  When I see a physical game on sale now, my first thought is "do I have this on gamepass."  If the answer is yes then I ask "Do I really need a forever copy?"  I rarely answer "yes" to that last question anymore.  Even though the games change periodically, Gamepass has converted me to like 99% digital.

I'd say that I'm in the same boat as you wongojack.  I used to very much skew towards physical media.  I definitely made exceptions for really great digital sales (any of the Deus Ex games for between $5-$9?  Yes!).  But now I basically go through the same thought process you describe.  I do, too, have some games that I want that physical disc to hang on to.  The Master Chief Collection and Rare Replay are 2 examples.  But it's pretty uncommon for me these days.

• Like 2

While I also dig my physical media, keep in mind the VAST majority of games these days require patches or receive significant updates impacting (often improving) gameplay. 

Years from now, let's hope the XB1 games can be manually patched (this is doable on a modded 360 with no XBL). Archiving these patches is an odd area of preservation that isn't discussed much. Let's hope it picks up steam. 

I bought a physical copy of Master Chief Collection... then proceeded to have over 80GB downloaded from XBL ?. WTH!?

Also keep in mind, disc games DL to HDD & run from system HDD. They no longer read data in real time from DVD/BD drive. To my knowledge this is all games, but may be exceptions. 

I still buy some physical games but seems to be making less & less sense year over year. 

Edited by Jagosaurus
  • Like 1

I converted 3 years of Xbox Live Gold to Game Pass Ultimate for $1 tonight through an ad in the Xbox Store.  Personally that's about the only way I'd sign up for game pass.  There aren't enough games in there I care about playing.  Maybe that'll change over the next 3 years.  Doubt I would have paid for Forza Horizon 4 if I'd had the Game Pass when it was released.

For me, personally, I don’t look at Game Pass so much as needing the specific games I want. Though during Q4 it did have both Gears 5 and The Outer Worlds on launch day. But I love it for letting me play games that I wouldn’t otherwise necessarily buy. I had a blast playing both Old Man’s Journey and Yoku’s Island Express all the way through. I never would have purchased those though. I tried Snake Pass, and it wasn’t my jam. But it didn’t matter!

Now, I wanted both Jedi:Fallen Order and Control, so I asked for those both for Christmas. But now days my purchases (or gifts!) really round out my Game Pass games more than the other way around.

That’s been my experience at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1