IGNORED

New Atari 600XL owner!

kerobaros

Hi all! Recently received a 600XL from a friend, and it seems to boot just fine. Now I need to upgrade the RAM on it, which seems easy enough, along with put a monitor jack into it. Are there any kits available for either of these mods, or do I have to track down all the individual parts myself?

Once I get all that done, I'll have to decide between getting an Sdrive or the Ultimate/SIDE combo... thoughts?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Paul Westphal said:

could share a high Rez pic

here is my 64k mod:

IMG_1739.thumb.JPG.8ade01fb038e10ef52b9e142d7f057c7.JPG

here is my 600XL UAV - with explanation

IMG_1745.thumb.JPG.6d9b296f5452ccf5d542693916bdecbb.JPG

due to height of the components surrounding the 4050 chip, i decided to relocate the UAV board as shown in the image. to do so, i had to run link wires instead of the usual direct method.

the bottom 2 wires are DC +/-

the group of 5 wires above that are the input signals from the 4050 chip to the UAV

the top 4 wires are the display output signal to the display port 5-pin DIN

the guidance material i used is here:

UAV.zip

but i also got v.good support from user: @Bryan who i bought it off

5 hours ago, kerobaros said:

I ordered some 4464 compatible ICs

for a 600XL you need 41464 ICs - they are 18-pin (see my innards pic above)

im not sure but arent 4464 the same as 4164? if so they are 16-pin and used in the 64k & 128k Ataris

might be worth a check

3 hours ago, xrbrevin said:

im not sure but arent 4464 the same as 4164? if so they are 16-pin and used in the 64k & 128k Ataris

might be worth a check

The ICs I bought are NEC D41464C-10s, which appear to be 18 pin. Thank you for the clarification!

On 12/30/2019 at 2:22 AM, xrbrevin said:

might be worth a check

4464 and 41464 are both numbers that have been used for 64k x 4-bit DRAM chips, used in several Atari 8-bit models, and compatible with the 600XL for a 64k upgrade.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, xrbrevin said:

yes, inconsistent part numbering..

pincount confirmed good for this venture tho ?

Not really, the part numbers differed between manufacturers. I know them as 4464, probably because of TI, many others used 41464.

Fujitsu: MB81464

Motorola: MCM41464

NEC: D41464

Samsung: KM41464A/KM41C464P

Texas Instruments: TMS4464

Edited by BillC

If the Postal Service cooperates, I should have two deliveries today: one package with my RAM ICs, and one package from the Brewing Academy with a new power adapter, a monitor jack, and a UAV board. I desoldered my channel 2/3 switch and cleared the solder out of the monitor jack mounting holes before work last night in preparation for a busy evening of soldering. Quite excited! I'll keep you all updated how things go.

Also, I managed to rig together an SIO2PC cable the other day from parts I had around the house already, and tested it out by loading the cassette version of Space Invaders. Any suggestions for what I should use to test my system after I get things out back together?

sounds like you have a good session lined up hehe ?

test with your favourite games but also try 64k games too. it should behave just like an 800XL after the RAM mod. the inbuilt RAM self-test should be booted with option held in order not to load basic.

UAV is super-sharp compared to standard so any software will give pleasing results

7 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

The 600XL has great s-video once the blurring cap is removed. If you can be bothered to find/do the 600XL Supervideo mod, it's even better.

Blurring cap? Please elaborate. 

Only got the RAM today, UAV is somewhere between the west coast and the midwest. Oh well. 

I am late to the party on this one but I have a 600XL with an ANTONIA board and a SOPHIA board installed in it.  This gives the 600XL a huge RAM upgrade, seven selectable OS and BASIC slots, and a digital output.  It is pretty much a perfect machine now.