IGNORED

New Atari 600XL owner!

kerobaros

25 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

I did this plus a full SuperVideo mod on one 600XL and aside from some feint clocking bars (which perhaps the blurring cap was supposed to obscure) which may be alleviated by better cable shielding, s-video is really nice... one level below UAV quality, IMHO.

Yes, +1 from me. The 600XL is the only 8-Bit machine IMHO, which doesn´t really need UAV, when you remove C109 and do the SuperVideo mod (which is also possible at NTSC machines). To make it perfect, an additional shottky diode can be installed in the path of R137 which prevents the chroma signal from influencing the luma circuit. The RF modulator has only b/w after this mod, but who cares ?

• Like 3

I just finished installing a UAV-D and the video is really clear.  I had tried to do a SuperVideo 2.1 but I couldn't get a picture after I had installed all of the components.  Everything is so confined in the 600XL that I could have made any one of many soldering mistakes so I would rather install a UAV than try and find the error(s).  Where can I find information on the RAM upgrade? One other thing that is puzzling is that I can't get my Sdrive to work with the 600XL.  Is there something that makes the Sdrive incompatible with the 600XL?

2 hours ago, hueyjones70 said:

I can't get my Sdrive to work with the 600XL.  Is there something that makes the Sdrive incompatible with the 600XL?

I'm pretty sure that you would need a RAM upgraded 600XL for a SDrive to work, at least for the on-screen menu; 16K just seems too little.  That said, my ANTONIA upgraded 600XL and my 600XL with the 1064 expansion module both work fine with my SDrive-MAX. 

Are you holding down option when you boot?

You should be able to load a dos , but not much else.

48k+ required to be of much use.

Not sure if you will be able to load a cassette image from sdrive with 16k, that might be possible?

Edited by mimo
Correction

I selected my 600xl to be my first to upgrade.  I did UAV and U1MB.

As I never intend for this to revert to 16k, I cut traces and soldered wires to the bottom so that any future troubleshooting allows for 'pure' chip swaps.  I don't recommend this as traces needed to be cut both on the bottom and under the ls158 sockets.  Then a missing ground needs to be restored.

Given that the design is nearly 800xl, I can't see this machine as having really worked out for Atari, as cost had to be nearly identical to the 800xl.

Here is the uav and the bottom side mods for 64k.

I don't have a good shot of the U1mb installed, but included is one of how I mounted it ( plastic mount made from leftover home depot stuff bonded to the case via acetone).

0107201719a_HDR.jpg

0107201720_HDR.jpg

0107201742_HDR.jpg

1 hour ago, xrbrevin said:

i believe at the time the price of RAM was the big issue

Possibly so.  Wonder if 4464 or 41464 chips existed at the time ?  Of so, they didn't use them for the 800xl, using 8 4164 chips instead.

I don't recall what the 800xl pricing was initially, as I bought my original one ( which I still haven't located) when they were selling for $100 or less.

Love the size of the 600XL though ?.

My favorite though is the original 800 and my first Atari... The 400.  That was upgraded to 32I then 48k, bkey keyboard, and gtia.  That computer was $400 and my best ever Xmas present of all time in my youth ?.

But at the moment my upgraded 600xl is my main Atari.

-- Curt

• Like 1

Well, my desk is a mess, and it took longer than I wanted it to, but here it is: my 600XL with 64K of RAM and a UAV board installed, connected over split chroma/luma to my Commodore 1702 monitor.

I still need to drill the hole for the monitor jack in the back of the case. What do people use for that, a step drill? Does anyone know what size I'll need to drill the hole out to? I don't have any calipers around here to measure it, haha.

IMG_20200113_203409.jpg

12 hours ago, kerobaros said:

Well, my desk is a mess, and it took longer than I wanted it to, but here it is: my 600XL with 64K of RAM and a UAV board installed, connected over split chroma/luma to my Commodore 1702 monitor.

I still need to drill the hole for the monitor jack in the back of the case. What do people use for that, a step drill? Does anyone know what size I'll need to drill the hole out to? I don't have any calipers around here to measure it, haha.

I used something called spade drill bit to do the hole. A 5/8" one (not measured with caliper I just chose the one that looked fine/closest), and then I did some practice in a random piece of plastic, before going for the real thing.

Others have used other methods, like using a regular drill bit to make small holes around the circle contour and then work with a file to get a perfect finish.

Edited by manterola

On 12/30/2019 at 5:19 AM, xrbrevin said:

here is my 64k mod:

IMG_1739.thumb.JPG.8ade01fb038e10ef52b9e142d7f057c7.JPG

here is my 600XL UAV - with explanation

IMG_1745.thumb.JPG.6d9b296f5452ccf5d542693916bdecbb.JPG

due to height of the components surrounding the 4050 chip, i decided to relocate the UAV board as shown in the image. to do so, i had to run link wires instead of the usual direct method.

the bottom 2 wires are DC +/-

the group of 5 wires above that are the input signals from the 4050 chip to the UAV

the top 4 wires are the display output signal to the display port 5-pin DIN

the guidance material i used is here:

UAV.zip 4.5 MB · 10 downloads

but i also got v.good support from user: @Bryan who i bought it off

If you push all of the resistors and capacitors to the left or to the right about 45 degrees you can fit the UAV in and it will still fit under the shield.

On 1/14/2020 at 7:14 AM, manterola said:

I used something called spade drill bit to do the hole.

I prefer whats called a brad-point drill bit, it's like a cross between a spade and regular drill bit.

It's only for soft material like the spade bit, the point keeps it centered while the 2 outside cutters do the work.

brad-point.jpg

11 hours ago, BillC said:

I prefer whats called a brad-point drill bit, it's like a cross between a spade and regular drill bit.

It's only for soft material like the spade bit, the point keeps it centered while the 2 outside cutters do the work.

brad-point.jpg

I drew a circle on the case and then used a dremel tool and successively larger grinding wheels to make the hole.

Well, I wound up having trouble getting a good hole started over the existing channel switch cutout, so I just used some small files and enlarged the cutout until I could comfortably fit the monitor cable. Success! It's unreal how much better S-Video looks than RF, haha.

What should I upgrade next, folks? I'm open to ideas. 

1 hour ago, kerobaros said:

Sounds good. What are my options, besides the Ultimate 1MB? 

There are loads, it depends on how much more ram you want. U1mb is great, tf_hh does a nice upgrade, and Antonia 4mb ram faster CPU , 8 selectable ROM banks etc.