IGNORED

Don't use Jaguar with OSSC .85 release

grips03

I upgraded my OSSC to .85 and my Sony LCD TV now complains about unsupported audio signal when being used with Atari Jaguar (NTSC) via RGB + composite sync.

Downgrade to OSSC .84 and all works fine again.  I should point out all OSSC versions I used up until .85 worked fine.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I used my OSSC for about 30 minutes on the day it arrived. It failed more tests then any other analog RGB converter I have ever bought. (and I own dozens of them) I immediately emailed them, described some of the faults, and ask if they planned on fixing/improving its compatibility with a future update. They literally said no. It has been sitting in the box ever since. It sucks. It’s a piece of trash.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Swansea_Mariner said:

Anyone use the Kaico model and if so would you recommend it?

Please do not support Kaico products, they ripped off the retrotink design produced by Mike Chi. The OSSC is open source which is pretty much why they sell their own 'version.' They shamelessly benefit from the hard work and R&D of others.

• Like 1

I was using .84 and it was good. I updated to .85 and aside from having to redo all of my profiles on my Sony TV it has been good so far. I seemed to recall that I was able to use Firebrandx's profile for the Jaguar on .84 and .85 without issue on my setup but maybe I need to double check this. Once thing I did lose going to .85 was that I'm no longer able to view the 2 player mode in Sonic 2. It used to work on .84 but I can't get any stable signal from .85. I even went back to .84...and still couldn't get sonic 2 to be stable again on the 2 player mode. SNES still has constant sync issues as well. But I've been told I need to use the De-jitter mod in it to correct that. The other huge issue has been trying to get my TG-16 to work through the OSSC. I've used like 3 different genesis 2 cables on it from my DB-booster off the back and only the cheap pair I picked up from Console5 actually works with it. However, those cables also have bad audio buzz on them. I've used Resurrection Industries, RetroCables UK...and one that came with my OSSC when I bought it from the previous owner and none of those higher quality cables work with the DB-booster off my TG-16 or PCE core grafx. As a result, I just use my TurboDUO through s-video out on my Extron and then back into my OSSC. 

So Yeah, I've had some head aches here and there, but in my case it works more often then not. In many cases, I can't use the optimized timings for the output and have to use passthrough or generic 4:3 mode or else my Sony will produce a picture, but it is all outta phase with the optimized timings. But the rest of the settings from FirebrandX like the V and H adjustments do work well enough.

+++++ Just confirmed that .85 does work with my jaguar setup. At least I was able to see and play Wolf 3D well enough. I will post my exact timings I'm using a bit later to see if it might help with your sony? I'm using an older bravia 48" I've had for a few years now.

No issues here with 0.85 and my PAL jag. Tv is an old Panasonic GT50 which is notoriously picky with input signals (in fact, it’s this tv that marqs used to test the Panasonic compatability mode introduced in 0.84)

@Supergun Unless there’s a fault with your Ossc, I suspect the ‘issue’ lies with your tv/display - the Ossc does no processing to the signal other than upscaling, so it’s likely a tv does not like what it’s getting from the Ossc. Some TVs like my own Panasonic have problems if the source is not compatible with what it can display. It’s a shame that the Ossc guys were not more helpful with you though.

Edited by trixster

• 1 month later...

I know this post is getting long in the tooth, but as I'm not having any issues with .85 and my OSSC, I thought I would post my settings from my OSSC on my 2015 Sony Bravia I use to play my games on:

Jaguar 240P Settings:

Audio Options -

Downsample = Off (96khz)

Pre-ADC Gain = 6 dB

Post Proc -

Reverse LPF = 0

Output Opt -

240p/288p Proc = Line5x

256x240 aspect = 8:7

Line5X format = 1920x1200

Line5x mode = 320x240 optim

Sync Opt -

Analog sync LPF = 10Mhz (Med)

H-PLL Post Coast = 0

H-PLL Pre Coast = 1

Sampling Opt -

Adv Timing 320x240

V. Active = 244

V. backporch = 12

V. synclen = 1

H. active = 360

H. backporch = 24

H. synclen = 38

H. s.rate adj = 420.00

H. samplerate = 420.00

Sampling phase = 202 deg

Allow upsample2x = off

Allow TVP HPLL2x = On

Video In Proc -

Video LPF = 35Mhz (HDTV 1) Try different ones for subtle phase offset

Again these are the settings I'm using on my .85 OSSC for my NTSC Jag via RGB SCART. The sampling options are the most critical and I've found on my TV that I basically have to set the v. and h. actives to be about the resolution that the console will be outputting at or just above/near it.