IGNORED

Pong Picture Page Replacements/Equivalents?

RichardElric

Some of you might remember Pong-Picture-Page.de, a excellent website for Early video game consoles. One day in the spring of 2016 (I actually remember when it went offline) it just  disappeared. I’ve had no news on it since 2018 when a post on a forum on here (pong-picture-page is dead?) when the account on here said:

“hi,

the old version is dead, we have the data, but its impossible to bring it online with current php versions, cause its millions of years old. but the good news, i (bernd) and adrian, we are working on a relaunch at the moment. the backend is 99% finished, i will import the old data, and adrian will update it. and than i have to develop the frontend and we are online again. but its just a hobby, so it will take a few more months i guess.”

that was posted April 28th, 2018. It’s now nearly 2020. 

I hope work is still going on, but I not so sure anymore.

So, is there any Pong Picture page equivalents around the internet with just as much information?

Link to the aforementioned Forum

Adrian sold his whole collection a couple years ago. I think he has very little time anymore to deal with videogame stuff.

He had said they hoped to reboot it at somepoint. I had offered to help find someone to host it.

I dont think it is ever possible to do what he had there ever again....it was truly amazing the info he compiled thru his massive collection.

I wonder what kind of ancient PHP code the site used if it no longer is compatible with current versions of the language. Yes, a good deal of functions have been depreciated and some of the old syntax might preferrably need to be rewritten even if it still works. It could be a subterfuge for not wanting to spend the time to put an old, possibly vulnerable site back online again that it would not even operate without a lot of work.

Edit: Oh well, as per MADrigal's comments it would be the web hotel provider that demands no legacy PHP code to be running on their server, and perhaps it is difficult to find an affordable provider who accepts old code, even for a shorter period of time.

Edited by carlsson