IGNORED

Estimating Atari 800 Keyboard Type from Serial/Date Code

EpikalPuppy

I am completely new to Atari 8-bit computers, and as my first computer, I chose to get an Atari 800 because I've heard that the keyboard is good and I really like its rugged design. I was wondering after reading some threads on 800 keyboard variations about how I can tell what type of keyboard mine has from the date and serial code, as it won't arrive for a while. The serial number is 449400, and what I assume to be the date code is 093. If somebody could inform me about what keyboard type they think mine has, that would be great, thank you.

There were three types of 800 keyboards.

First was the Hi-Tek mechanical.  Good keyboard, but it's Achilles heel is the space bar. They have a tendency to fail over time.

Second was the Stackpole mechanical.  Not a good keyboard over time.  Even though it is mechanical, the yellow plungers are so thin they crack and the keys will pop off.

Third, Atari saved the best for last, kind of...  The Mitsumi keyboard was not mechanical, but used a silicon gasket sandwiched by a mylar sheet and the PCB.  Same design and manufacturer as the keyboard for the 1200XL.  The Mitsumi keyboard is quiet, smooth, and real pleasure to use.  Its weakness is that at some point, with 100% certainty, the mylar contacts oxidize and lose continuity with the PCB.  This can be fixed with conductive paint.

You need to realize that these all were very high quality keyboards that were design for computers meant to sell North of $800 (1980 dollars actually).  All are serviceable, but my preference in order is Mitsumi, Hi-Tek then Stackpole.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ACML said:

There were three types of 800 keyboards.

First was the Hi-Tek mechanical.  Good keyboard, but it's Achilles heel is the space bar. They have a tendency to fail over time.

Second was the Stackpole mechanical.  Not a good keyboard over time.  Even though it is mechanical, the yellow plungers are so thin they crack and the keys will pop off.

Third, Atari saved the best for last, kind of...  The Mitsumi keyboard was not mechanical, but used a silicon gasket sandwiched by a mylar sheet and the PCB.  Same design and manufacturer as the keyboard for the 1200XL.  The Mitsumi keyboard is quiet, smooth, and real pleasure to use.  Its weakness is that at some point, with 100% certainty, the mylar contacts oxidize and lose continuity with the PCB.  This can be fixed with conductive paint.

You need to realize that these all were very high quality keyboards that were design for computers meant to sell North of $800 (1980 dollars actually).  All are serviceable, but my preference in order is Mitsumi, Hi-Tek then Stackpole.

I have a Ti-99 with the Stackpole switches, and I find them to be very good, but mine haven’t popped off yet. Could you tell me how to source conductive paint? Would carbon paint be sufficient?