IGNORED

MDOS 6.50

Nick99

I have downloaded all disk images of MDOS 6.50 on WHT, but I can´t open it with TI-DiskManager (for MAC) it crashes.

I tried to convert it to .hfe to look at it on my Geneve (GOTEK) and I just get a device error. My suspicion is that the image is DS/DD and I only have DS/SD.

Can anyone please make a disk image with GPL included so I can try out my TIPI?

Best wishes and a Happy New Year! ??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

Thanks! ??

Sadly, my Geneve starts loading the disk, but after a while it stops and the computer has locked/crashed. All I see is this beautiful swan.

My guess is that MDOS 6.50 requires some kind of upgrade, more memory or some other magic?

Yes, it was a kind of lonely to have a Geneve in Sweden in the early 90´s, so my Geneve has no extras, completely untouched.

What do I need to get this thing going?

Are you comfortable with removing the card from its clamshell (if it has one) and taking pictures front and back?  That would help us tell you the current state of the hardware.  If your card is 'stock' and completely untouched then you will need to update it with an extra 32K SRAM.  Also, capacitors, regulators, and heat sinks are common components that eventually need refreshing.

• Like 2

On 12/31/2019 at 7:05 PM, InsaneMultitasker said:

Are you comfortable with removing the card from its clamshell (if it has one) and taking pictures front and back?  That would help us tell you the current state of the hardware.  If your card is 'stock' and completely untouched then you will need to update it with an extra 32K SRAM.  Also, capacitors, regulators, and heat sinks are common components that eventually need refreshing.

Here are photos of each side of my Geneve board.

Do someone know what the handwritings means?, Myarc PWB EW001 and the TS 90 or what it says by the led light.

I will change the battery and add the 32K to start with, as far as I can see everything else looks fine. 

I remember when I bought it that the other Geneve owner in Sweden, named Sören, recommended to remove the clamshell to prevent overheating.

Gen01.jpg

Gen02.jpg

• Like 1

The four primary 5v regulators are not the usual, original part, and with the heat sinks you stand a good chance of avoiding the usual overheating.  We used the same part at Cecure Electronics so the card might have passed through there once, though a typical refresh would have installed a battery holder among other things.

With heat sinks and compound, and moderate airflow, the card should be fine with a clamshell though if thermal compound was applied under the regulator it is probably dry by now.  As noted here and other topics, operating a Geneve without a clamshell is dangerous.  Why?  With the monitor, keyboard, and other devices attached, the card can shift/lift just enough to short the contacts in some PEB connectors.

Some of the electrolytic capacitors near the neck of the card look original; the remaining caps may or may not have been replaced.  If you plan to use this card for any periods of time I would suggest replacing the 22uF 'power' capacitors. 

Geneve card traces and pads can be very sensitive to heat so be careful when removing any components. If the pads lift from the board, there is a chance the inner core can be pulled out when removing the component. 

The board looks fairly clean and in good condition.  The 32K mod is fairly easy to install if you are comfortable with a soldering iron.  If you buy a 32K chip, I recommend that you install it in place of the existing 32K chip before you perform the mod to verify the new chip works.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

The four primary 5v regulators are not the usual, original part, and with the heat sinks you stand a good chance of avoiding the usual overheating.  We used the same part at Cecure Electronics so the card might have passed through there once, though a typical refresh would have installed a battery holder among other things.

With heat sinks and compound, and moderate airflow, the card should be fine with a clamshell though if thermal compound was applied under the regulator it is probably dry by now.  As noted here and other topics, operating a Geneve without a clamshell is dangerous.  Why?  With the monitor, keyboard, and other devices attached, the card can shift/lift just enough to short the contacts in some PEB connectors.

Some of the electrolytic capacitors near the neck of the card look original; the remaining caps may or may not have been replaced.  If you plan to use this card for any periods of time I would suggest replacing the 22uF 'power' capacitors. 

Geneve card traces and pads can be very sensitive to heat so be careful when removing any components. If the pads lift from the board, there is a chance the inner core can be pulled out when removing the component. 

The board looks fairly clean and in good condition.  The 32K mod is fairly easy to install if you are comfortable with a soldering iron.  If you buy a 32K chip, I recommend that you install it in place of the existing 32K chip before you perform the mod to verify the new chip works.

Thanks, sounds good. 

I have the clamshell the clamshell on, as you say, it´s the safest way.

I will follow your recommendations. ?