IGNORED

How do I program a Counter/Meter in VBb?

ZippyRedPlumber

Assuming you want something on-screen, you could use either the pfscore bars or the status bar.

If you want something numeric, I seem to remember someone creating a minikernel to split the score display up, but I'm not sure if I'm just making that up and if it is real where to find it.

In Bag Boy I used one as a timer. I cannot remember the exact code but you can check it out to see how I had done so. I have it set to a variable that counts down. When it hits zero the meter goes down incrementally and the variable resets. I played around with values until I got it to decrease at what I felt was an acceptable rate.

8 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

I usually include the 6lives_statusbar.asm

https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#lifecounterstatusbar

Gives you a long status bar and a sprite life counter.  Good stuff!

I believe that is what I had used. I had found it very versatile.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, ZippyRedPlumber said:

Due to complications involving the VbB Software and essentially my computer, ByteBruisers (my 2600 project) will have to be put on hold until further notice. :(

What problems are you having? I have Windows 10 and it seems to be working fine for me.

4 hours ago, Random Terrain said:

What problems are you having? I have Windows 10 and it seems to be working fine for me.

So, I recently reinstalled VbB, My anti-virus quarantined the program. I can't access the application anymore, I tried deleting it but it says the folder is in use, can you help?

Often anti virus programs have false positives like that. 

If you can't remove it because it's in use, you may have a command prompt open to that directory, or a file open inside the directory. Close out of anything that could be causing it, and try again. If that doesn't work, try rebooting and try uninstalling again. 

Blame your AV Vendor. Many have horrible false-positive rates, so much so that I started a AV Hall of Shame wiki page.

Ultimately it doesn't cost them a thing when they mess up this way, and it would cost them more if they actually did their due diligence.

There's nothing wrong with the vbb that RT linked to, but if you do manage to download it, the program will get quarantined again. In your AV software, try to see if you can restore the program from the quarantine area. (which should white-list it)

@RevEng@Random Terrain@Karl G

Managed to delete VbB, will try it again later. Thanks for your help, guys. You Rock! :D

However, ByteBruisers will be moved to Atari 8-bit hardware (XEGS & 7800) hardware this time, it's "Artistic Differences" as meta as this sounds it's a game about game/console hopping (think Wreck-It Ralph meets Ghostbusters)

A game based on Sonic, a port of a top secret Intellivision homebrew that is also in the works will take it's spot.

Edited by ZippyRedPlumber
Add another detail

• 1 month later...

Okay, gotta get this off my chest... I'm a very inexperienced programmer I've dabbled into VbB since 2019, Fiddling with Princess Rescue's code was me dipping my toes in the water.

My Sonic game would play like "Kid Icarus" in which you choose and use the playfield environment to the player's advantage. In short, you wont die falling off the screen and end up on top of the playfield. How can I manage this effect in Bb code?