IGNORED

Mega Drive / Genesis Audio Showcase

Yakumo1975

The Mega Drive gets a bad rap when it comes to it's audio quality. This video sets out to show you that the Mega Drive can sound really good and I do mean really good! Each selection of music is recorded from real 1st generation Japanese Mega Drive Hardware. Sound engine name and developer also listed for each music track. Featuring music from the following games (Japanese titles used):

02:57 - Vapor Trail

04:44 - Thunder Force IV

07:14 - Rocket Knight Adventure

08:49 - Super Shinobi II

11:18 - Bare Knuckle II

12:45 - Galaxy Force II

14:07 - Gaiares

15:41 - Gauntlet

17:43 - Gynoug

19:13 - Mega Turrican

21:35 - TMNT

Apologise for the out of sync spectrum analyser on the last 3 music tracks. Please think about supporting the show by subscribing to the channel or becoming my patron. Thank you so much! http://www.patreon.com/retrocore

• Like 2

I dunno about the hateful opening assault against American developers. Have you heard Capcom's Mega Drive games? There are terrible-sounding games from Japan and America alike.

I also kinda like the Sonic Spinball soundtrack. 

Not to mention you completely ignored one of the best composers on the system. I'd put Tommy Tallarico's Cool Spot and Earthworm Jim 1 and 2 soundtracks on par with anything by Yuzo Koshiro. 

Out of curiosity, what did you record these tracks with? The YouTube video sounds pretty unfiltered. The hi hat in BK2 sounds like tinny garbage in this video, and that's not even the version of the song that plays in-game. 

Not sure what your goal was here, but you failed to accomplish it. All you did was badmouth good developers by association and capture very rough sounding samples. 

On 1/3/2020 at 11:55 PM, derFunkenstein said:

I dunno about the hateful opening assault against American developers. Have you heard Capcom's Mega Drive games? There are terrible-sounding games from Japan and America alike.

I also kinda like the Sonic Spinball soundtrack. 

Not to mention you completely ignored one of the best composers on the system. I'd put Tommy Tallarico's Cool Spot and Earthworm Jim 1 and 2 soundtracks on par with anything by Yuzo Koshiro. 

Out of curiosity, what did you record these tracks with? The YouTube video sounds pretty unfiltered. The hi hat in BK2 sounds like tinny garbage in this video, and that's not even the version of the song that plays in-game. 

Not sure what your goal was here, but you failed to accomplish it. All you did was badmouth good developers by association and capture very rough sounding samples. 

Yep, Capcom sound on the Mega Drive is bloody awful, especially Super Street Fighter II.  As for Sonic Spinball, I don't rate that as good sounding at all.  Or Comix Zone either.  Maybe that's because I was brought up in Europe.

A know that's not the Bare Knuckle version of the song that plays in the game but it's the version I prefer and it is featured on the game so it's all good, no?

The machine used to capture the audio is a Japanese Mega Drive 1.

Video 2 is up now.  Don't worry I didn't slag off GEMS in this one and even feature western tunes that I think are really cool sounding, especially the Time Trax one.

Great video!  A lot of the top selling games in the US were titles developed by EA and Sega of America, which were the sources of much of the GEMS abuse that took place, so the MD gets a lot of (unfair) flack for poor audio quality.  It's a shame because the MD can sound amazing when programmed properly, as your video shows!