• 3 weeks later...

OK, I finally got to try these out on real hardware!  These are absolutely top notch!  Asteroids in particular feels like a new game!

I'm sure you have other things you'd rather work on, but if you are taking requests, I'd love to see Championship Soccer and Air Sea Battle.

Cheers!

Ben

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2020 at 7:15 AM, Tempest said:

Awesome!  These are turning out better than I had imagined they would.  Too bad Atari didn't do this back in the day when they re-released these games.  Of course that would have cost money...

That was exactly my thought when I first started seeing the re-releases BITD. To the average consumer, why wouldn't they have updated the games like this, especially by the late 80's? That was a perfectly natural, progressive expectation. Boy were we duped. If only Atari had put just a little more care into these, especially the red label re-releases like Donkey Kong - of which I totally expected there to be levels added.   ?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, save2600 said:

That was exactly my thought when I first started seeing the re-releases BITD. To the average consumer, why wouldn't they have updated the games like this, especially by the late 80's? That was a perfectly natural, progressive expectation. Boy were we duped. If only Atari had put just a little more care into these, especially the red label re-releases like Donkey Kong - of which I totally expected there to be levels added.   ?

Atari was too busy counting their money, and doin' blow.

• Haha 2

By the time we would have expected updated versions, the shape of the market had changed. I would have expected the original programmers to have moved on by then. And then there's cost and future interest. Atari didn't see the need or interest - if there ever was any in the first place.

I knew we as "grown-up" kids. Didn't think twice about it. That's the VCS. And that's the way things were done. No questions asked. As for updated versions, we weren't thinking about menus, but, rather, enhanced graphics and sound. And we wanted to see more custom hardware in the cartridges. We were thinking about wanting to see processors in there and maybe even having to connect the RF directly to the cartridge itself!

• Like 1

Yes, and I do weigh in peoples requests when deciding what game to choose next.

Some of the other things I consider:

- How many variations does the game have

- Is the game generally fun and deserves to be re-experienced

- Does a creative idea come to me for the menu screen that I want to execute

All of these factors might add together, or I might just do a game solely for the last reason, of being inspired.

I find these to be good projects because they have a definite end state. They do cost me a lot of time which makes being inspired very important, but also takes away from other projects. I was going to start Circus AtariAge again but started doing these instead and haven't gone back to picking it up.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Omegamatrix said:

They do cost me a lot of time which makes being inspired very important, but also takes away from other projects. I was going to start Circus AtariAge again but started doing these instead and haven't gone back to picking it up.

I know this too well.

But I usually decide to do what is most fun for me now (except when something must to be done now). This keeps the motivation alive.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I know this too well.

But I usually decide to do what is most fun for me now (except when something must to be done now). This keeps the motivation alive.

Same here. Sometimes it results in a lot of unfinished projects, though:

37zplj.jpg.118683db6e1d6f58d97c09d740fae47f.thumb.jpg.d95cb6b0035f5807a7ab769f5e0972be.jpg

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...