12 hours ago, Omegamatrix said:

Warlords menu...

WarlordsMenu.thumb.png.26c89828ae019b71778ab5da0c934809.png

This is a work of art! Amazing to see this on an '2600.

I have problems navigating up and down the menu - it seems to go way too fast. I think you probably want to check if the joystick was released before going to the next menu item.

4 hours ago, Dionoid said:

I have problems navigating up and down the menu - it seems to go way too fast. I think you probably want to check if the joystick was released before going to the next menu item.

Joystick? For Warlords?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dionoid said:

This is a work of art! Amazing to see this on an '2600.

Thank you, Dionoid. It's really an artifact of paddle controls. They tend to be very quick so the amount of movement of the knob has to be small.

1 hour ago, Omegamatrix said:

Thank you, Dionoid. It's really an artifact of paddle controls. They tend to be very quick so the amount of movement of the knob has to be small.

Never mind, my bad; I was actually trying to control the menu with a joystick instead of a paddle controller. D’Oh!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Karl G said:

Indeed. @Omegamatrix I'd love to know what black magic is behind that. 

The bricks are created by using the repeated RESPx trick. So each brick is a sprite and the horizontal gaps are from the 1 pixel gaps between the sprites. The kernel uses no WSYNC, so it can be used for both rows, with the 2nd one shifted by one cycle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2020 at 2:01 AM, Omegamatrix said:

Warlords menu...

WarlordsMenu.thumb.png.26c89828ae019b71778ab5da0c934809.png

@e1will - I know it's been a while since you interviewed her, but do you still have contact with Carla Meninsky?  If so I think it'd be awesome if you could show her this.

@Omegamatrix - was curious if my work on a warlords disassembly was helpful, or if you rolled your own.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

@Omegamatrix - was curious if my work on a warlords disassembly was helpful, or if you rolled your own.

I didn't know there was a disassembly. That would have been useful for sure.

For these games the disassemblies I do are really bare bones, but I do spend the effort to merge the PAL and NTSC versions together to compile from the same source. From there I just find the key entry points to jump between the original game and new menu screen.

There is very little code is changed from the original game. These are still all hacks of course, but it's more or less adding all the new original code into an expanded rom. That's the fun in these... creating something that will hopefully compliment the original game and draw people back into expierencing it again. That's the spirit of it anyway.

Sometimes I also do bug fixes in the original game. For Warlords I fixed some values that were loaded as zeropage instead of immediate, due to missing the #. This was noticable for causing problems in Stella's developer mode. As a side note these values looked like they were intentionally set to load that way, but I changed them for maximum compatibility.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Omegamatrix said:

Sometimes I also do bug fixes in the original game. For Warlords I fixed some values that were loaded as zeropage instead of immediate, due to missing the #. This was noticable in Stella's developer mode.

What effect does that have on the game?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tempest said:

What effect does that have on the game?

Short answer, it works out probably most of the time. Long answer is there is a combination of undefined bits, data on the bus, and defined bits that don't matter to the register being stored.

The first place this happens is at the start of VSYNC. Here I thought it may have been intentional because the there is a write to RESM1 way below, and it's twice in a row in a short area (which is less probable). Now looking at it again I'm on the fence whether or not it actually was simply a bug of missing #.

;     lda    #$82                  ; 2    dump latches to ground
;     sta    VBLANK                ; 3
;     sta    VSYNC                 ; 3    VSYNC starts...
;     sta    WSYNC                 ; 3
; ;---------------------------------------
;     lda    #$20                  ; 2
;     sta    HMM0                  ; 3
;     sta    HMM1                  ; 3
;                                  ;                 What is desired is BALL_1_CLOCK, PF_SCORE, PF_REFLECT (#$13). This is the address left on the bus.
;     lda    CXP1FB | $10          ; 3  XX.. ....    P1-PF   P1-BL  (only undefined bits set anything)
;     sta    CTRLPF                ; 3  ..XX .XXX
;                                  ;                 What is desired is ONE_COPY, Missile one clock (#$10). This is the address left on the bus.
;     lda    CXM0P | $10           ; 3  XX.. ....    M0-P1   M0-P0  (only undefined bits set anything)
;     sta    NUSIZ0                ; 3  ..XX XXXX
;     sta    NUSIZ1                ; 3

There's also another place in the code it occurs:

;                                                  ; What is desired is BALL_1_CLOCK, PF_REFLECT (#$11). This is the address left on the bus.
;     lda    CXM1P | $10           ; 3   XX.. ....    M1-P0   M1-P1  (only undefined bits set anything)
;     sta    CTRLPF                ; 3   ..XX .XXX
;     lda    #$02                  ; 2
;     sta    ENAM0                 ; 3
;     sta    ENAM1                 ; 3

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 11:28 AM, SpiceWare said:

@e1will - I know it's been a while since you interviewed her, but do you still have contact with Carla Meninsky?  If so I think it'd be awesome if you could show her this.

I'll see if I can find her contact info (it's been a long time!) and let her know.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 11:25 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

@Omegamatrix Have you thought about saving the selected options on SaveKey/AtariVox? So that you can directly start playing where you left it, e.g. using your favorite options.

I haven't. Thinking about it now though.... six of the seven games I've done require both ports. The playing is also simulatneous so people can't share a joystick. I think I'll just leave the games as they are because of that.

The first post has now been updated with links to all of the games.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for doing these!  I would love to the remaining six launch titles get done, just because they are such a part of history but were so constrained by rom space. Street Racer Has 27 variations, Star Ship 17, Air Sea Battle 27, Surround 14.  Basic Math with 8 and Blackjack with only 3, for completeness. I can dream!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...