IGNORED

Asteroids Controller - Interest Check Poll (PLEASE READ FIRST POST!)

Pixelboy

Asteroids Controller - Interest Check Poll (PLEASE READ FIRST POST!)  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in buying this proposed 150$US Asteroids controller?

• Yes, with a ColecoVision pack-in game
    • Yes, without a ColecoVision pack-in game
    • Not at that price point
    • Not really interested at all
  2. 2. Assuming you're interested, which model do you prefer?

• Asteroids Upright Edition - VVG Enhanced Controller (color artwork)
    • Asteroids Cabaret Edition – VVG Enhanced Controller (black and white, with woodgrain side decorations)
  3. 3. Where should the sixth button be placed?

• In the center, under the "HYPERSPACE" button
    • On the right side, next to the "FIRE" button
  4. 4. What length of cable do you think would be ideal for this controller?

• 8 feet
    • 10 feet
    • 12 feet
  5. 5. About the ColecoVision pack-in game cartridge, what would you prefer?

• Asteroids only (cheapest solution)
    • Multicart with Asteroids and other compatible ColecoVision games
    • Other (please specify by posting in this thread)
    • I would not want the pack-in cartridge
  6. 6. Would you agree to pay an advanced deposit with your official pre-order?

• Yes, whatever amount is needed
    • Yes, as long as it's reasonable
    • No
    • I'd like to suggest something (please elaborate in this thread)
  7. 7. Would you be interested in Asteroids as a complete-in-box ColecoVision game, without the Asteroids controller?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

11 minutes ago, doubledown said:

Technically it is a ColecoVision controller due to the 2nd button wiring.  Coleco copied Atari's wiring pinout for Up/Down/Left/Right/Left Fire Button for the CV controllers, and added a 2nd common and a bunch of diode witchcraft to allow for the Right Fire button, and the keypad.  The reason was so that the stock CV controllers would also work for all 2600 games played on the Atari Expansion Module.  The Atari 7800 2nd button wiring is done with resistors, not diodes.  If a 7800 controller is used on a ColecoVision, you can use both fire buttons, but not simultaneously...the right fire button wins out...so Tutankham is not playable on the CV, with a 7800 wired controller, as you can't access the flash-bomb which requires both buttons be pressed at once. 

If I'm not mistaken if you try to use a CV controller on a 7800, you only get the primary fire button, the 2nd won't work at all...I haven't touched a 7800 in years so I'm not 100% certain about this.  

The Sega Master System also followed the Atari pinout, but rather than Coleco's diodes, or Atari's resistors, they wired their 2nd fire button discretely.  

Okay, so the references to 7800 games refers only to one-button 7800 games. I was unclear on that.

"So while the artwork and "overall theme" is Asteroids specific, this controller would be an arcade-correct controller for several games across the Atari 2600/8-Bit/7800 and ColecoVision platforms, including several homebrews with game play similar to some of those vintage titles. "

BTW, I started out trying to order a custom arcade controller with trackball for trackball and driving games from doubledown, but you end up going down a rabbit hole where you would end up needing a second stick, set of buttons and probably keypad for these since these games use a variety of different controller schemes. EM2 games use the player 2 joystick and keypad, Armageddon and Victory use both player 1 and 2 buttons in trackball mode, etc. I ended up ordering a basic Super Action Controller type with a couple button buttons that switch to player 2. In addition, as doubledown mentioned, it is intended as a dedicated Asteroids controller facsimile that also plays similar games.

1 hour ago, MarcusFrom1982 said:

It would also work as a Track n Field controller 

That's what I've said...but someone else thought that was a bad idea! ? It in all actuality it would be perfect, especially with the leaf-switch push-buttons. 

47 minutes ago, ledzep said:

This is a great idea, though I hesitate at the price.  Of course I could change my mind on something so cool.

Off-topic, but would you consider making something similar for the Atari 5200 later?

What's a 5200?

iwPU90.jpg

Seriously why are people always guessing my secret projects!?!  I am currently working on 2 for sure, maybe 3 (with a crazy-expensive idea for a 4th) controllers for the 5200.  Correct me if I'm wrong (as I know very little about the 5200), but Asteroids was never released for the 5200, was it?  I ask as I'm assuming you are referencing an all-button controller like the one proposed here, but for the 5200...if I'm correct I'd need (in another post or PM to not take this thread out to left field) a list of compatible games you'd be thinking about.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, doubledown said:

That's what I've said...but someone else thought that was a bad idea! ? It in all actuality it would be perfect, especially with the leaf-switch push-buttons. 

What's a 5200?

iwPU90.jpg

Seriously why are people always guessing my secret projects!?!  I am currently working on 2 for sure, maybe 3 (with a crazy-expensive idea for a 4th) controllers for the 5200.  Correct me if I'm wrong (as I know very little about the 5200), but Asteroids was never released for the 5200, was it?  I ask as I'm assuming you are referencing an all-button controller like the one proposed here, but for the 5200...if I'm correct I'd need (in another post or PM to not take this thread out to left field) a list of compatible games you'd be thinking about.  

There is a finished 5200 prototype of Asteroids, that is so-so, and an improved hack of that. Also, Meterorites, from the company that made the original 5200 MasterPlay, and Megaoids from Video61.

9 hours ago, doubledown said:
11 hours ago, MarcusFrom1982 said:

It would also work as a Track n Field controller 

Well, if you want to submit a 150$ controller to that kind of abuse, be my guest.  :P 

Although it's true that with leaf-switch push-buttons, you don't have to mash the buttons like crazy. Just place the bottom of your palms on the controller's surface, and tap the buttons rapidly with the tip of your fingers. That shouldn't wear down the buttons in the long run.  :)

(And yes, I know those buttons are designed for heavy-duty usage, but at 150$...)

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 5:35 AM, youki said:

Would it be possible to add a spinner somewhere on that controller?

It could serve for other games  like arkanoid or turbo and coming homebrews.   But also if we could imagine to have asteroid to use the spinner to rotate the ship. And also why not a modified version of Front Line.

Just an idea  , i don't think it would add a lot on the total cost and it could be very useful.?

adding the spinner its not hard but you need to add a power source too so i think its what will bug..

I can say with certainty, there will not be a "spinner" on an Asteroids controller.  

2 hours ago, RayXambeR said:

And I think it could be fantastic to add the Vectrex compatibility because lots of Veccy games can use LRTF commands (some have been hacked for this use and some new homebrews function with this scheme too).

If a Vectrex can make use of an Atari/ColecoVision wired controller, and is pinned the same, then I would say it would probably work.  While knowing nothing about the Vectrex other than its Vector monitor, and what I believe were hard-wired analog controls...I don't believe it would work.  Again I know nothing about the Vectrex.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TPR said:

But you ARE going to include the cup holder, right???

??

(Yes, I am joking...)

You joke about cup holders, but if I ever make a Tapper Edition - VVG Experience Controller, it will need to have 2 side-mounted cup holders:

tYNeNV.jpg

...like the original!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, doubledown said:

You joke about cup holders, but if I ever make a Tapper Edition - VVG Experience Controller, it will need to have 2 side-mounted cup holders:

tYNeNV.jpg

...like the original!

Oh my, that's more than just woodgrain, that's actual wood!  :D 

Interesting idea, but I'd rather purchase other Coleco hobby-releated items for $150+. The very concept of this controller is limiting to only a handful of games. I'm not sure if the time spent on this could otherwise be spent to greater avail on other projects with more overall utility. Just IMO. If this works for you, go full steam ahead, though...

• Like 1

I think that any 1 new game, is 1 new game, and that's great...but a new game, and a radically new controller that allows a bunch of existing games to be played better, more authentic, or just differently, is kind of a big deal.  A lot of us ColecoVision collectors have been around and collecting for a long time, and basically "already have everything."  So while we all appreciate any new games/ports brought to our beloved ColecoVisions, I think this controller is pretty cool.  Plus a lot of us also probably have a 2600/7800/Phoenix that can play 2600 games, which adds a lot more functionality to this idea...my 3 cents.

12 minutes ago, doubledown said:

Plus a lot of us also probably have a 2600/7800/Phoenix that can play 2600 games, which adds a lot more functionality to this idea...my 3 cents.

I've been meaning to try to put together a list of all the games that I think would work really well with, and I believe there are more games that people think.  And I don't mean games that would "technically" work with it, but games that would work really well!  Games like Space Invaders, Galaxian, Star Castle Arcade, etc, are kind of obvious ones, IMO.  But given your button layout, I think a game like Smurf Rescue would be great! 

And I need to do some more tests with the 2600-Dapter with MAME, but I think about games like Pac-Land where this could also be amazing!

So much potential here!