IGNORED

Asteroids Controller - Interest Check Poll (PLEASE READ FIRST POST!)

Pixelboy

Asteroids Controller - Interest Check Poll (PLEASE READ FIRST POST!)  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in buying this proposed 150$US Asteroids controller?

• Yes, with a ColecoVision pack-in game
    • Yes, without a ColecoVision pack-in game
    • Not at that price point
    • Not really interested at all
  2. 2. Assuming you're interested, which model do you prefer?

• Asteroids Upright Edition - VVG Enhanced Controller (color artwork)
    • Asteroids Cabaret Edition – VVG Enhanced Controller (black and white, with woodgrain side decorations)
  3. 3. Where should the sixth button be placed?

• In the center, under the "HYPERSPACE" button
    • On the right side, next to the "FIRE" button
  4. 4. What length of cable do you think would be ideal for this controller?

• 8 feet
    • 10 feet
    • 12 feet
  5. 5. About the ColecoVision pack-in game cartridge, what would you prefer?

• Asteroids only (cheapest solution)
    • Multicart with Asteroids and other compatible ColecoVision games
    • Other (please specify by posting in this thread)
    • I would not want the pack-in cartridge
  6. 6. Would you agree to pay an advanced deposit with your official pre-order?

• Yes, whatever amount is needed
    • Yes, as long as it's reasonable
    • No
    • I'd like to suggest something (please elaborate in this thread)
  7. 7. Would you be interested in Asteroids as a complete-in-box ColecoVision game, without the Asteroids controller?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Any chance there could either be included USB or Bluetooth support, or that available as an additional option?

That would make it more interesting/open to a wider market, including emulators.

(We have been having lots of fun with an 8bitDo Fight Stick and our Vectrex emulator on Android and I could see supporting this later this year when we do Coleco support)

In the realm of the universe, I would say anything is possible...but at this point in time and space, USB or Bluetooth is nothing that is being considered as part of this project.  All it would do is complicate what will be a "simple" controller, and raise the price even higher.  I understand that there are people that exist that play games in emulation for some reason, but I like real hardware.  TPR had tested a ColecoVision controller with a 2600-dapter with RetroPie (whatever these things are), and said with minor controller mapping tweaks it worked.  (Post #46)  And as this controller will also be a ColecoVision controller it would work as well with a 2600-dapter with RetroPie (again, whatever these things are) if that helps at all.  

• Like 2

I could see myself paying up to $200 for the controller bundled with a boxed Asteroids multi-cart. Barring that, I'd personally be OK with making just the ROMs available to those who purchase the ~$150 controller. I do feel like the $150 controller cost is a bit on the high side, though. I think I'd psychologically feel better if it was no more than $125.

• Like 1

Undoubtedly a "cheaper" controller could be made, which I understand, could/would open the door for more people to be able to purchase one.  But I take a substantial amount of pride in my work, and in the hardware that I offer.  With the "beefed up" aluminum enclosure and "legitimate" arcade controls, this will be a controller that will probably outlive any console you use it with.  What I'm not interested in, is offering is an "affordable for everyone" version that is so cheap, either due to poor build quality, cheaper components, or poor ergonomics, that nobody wants to use it because of how crappy it is, or can't use it because it broke somehow and/or doesn't work properly.  Would you rather pay $50 for a controller you don't/won't/can't use because its terrible/broken, or pay $150 for a controller that is robust and arcade authentic?  How many of us have a box of 3rd party controllers that we purchased to "save some money" when compared to the OEM versions, only to not use them because they suck?

• Like 5

Is it possible to utilize magnet overlays on new games that come out for the controller?  I would be great to get the asteroids artwork mounted to the controller but when a new game comes out that supports it a buying option can be for an overlay for the controller that magnetically attaches to it.  Of course this is all going on the assumption that the controller housing is going to be made out of metal.

Just a suggestion, I think the Arkanoid controller was going to use something like that if my memory is not incorrect.

25 minutes ago, Mr. John ColecoVision said:

Too many...way too many

Preach!  Years ago I remember, my buddy has his Playstation and was going to buy a 2nd controller so that we could play together.  We went wherever...and being younger with less money he didn't want to pay for an official controller so bought some cheap "gold" knockoff which included a matching "gold" memory card.  For the most part the controller worked fine, but there was an issue with the Turbo button, where it would contact the PCB and turn on the Turbo feature when not wanted.  We had to disassemble the controller and physically remove the button (with it's carbon dot) so that it couldn't turn on when not wanted.  It was a real nice "piece."  

7 minutes ago, imstarryeyed said:

Is it possible to utilize magnet overlays on new games that come out for the controller?  I would be great to get the asteroids artwork mounted to the controller but when a new game comes out that supports it a buying option can be for an overlay for the controller that magnetically attaches to it.  Of course this is all going on the assumption that the controller housing is going to be made out of metal.

Just a suggestion, I think the Arkanoid controller was going to use something like that if my memory is not incorrect.

The housing is in fact metal, but aluminum, and thus non-magnetic.  

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 9:57 AM, doubledown said:

Undoubtedly a "cheaper" controller could be made, which I understand, could/would open the door for more people to be able to purchase one.  But I take a substantial amount of pride in my work, and in the hardware that I offer.  With the "beefed up" aluminum enclosure and "legitimate" arcade controls, this will be a controller that will probably outlive any console you use it with.  What I'm not interested in, is offering is an "affordable for everyone" version that is so cheap, either due to poor build quality, cheaper components, or poor ergonomics, that nobody wants to use it because of how crappy it is, or can't use it because it broke somehow and/or doesn't work properly.  Would you rather pay $50 for a controller you don't/won't/can't use because its terrible/broken, or pay $150 for a controller that is robust and arcade authentic?  How many of us have a box of 3rd party controllers that we purchased to "save some money" when compared to the OEM versions, only to not use them because they suck?

Quality over quantity, IMO.  

As of today, you've got 50 controllers to build.  That is a lot as it is!  I would personally rather pay MORE for a high quality controller, that I know will be built with high standards, than to cheapen the entire experience and the processes.  I know how these things work. If your controller was half the cost, but sold double the units, you'd have to make some sacrifices in the production process, because you're building twice the number of units and still only making the same amount of money.

People don't realize that part of the cost is someone's hard-earned "time" that goes into a project. And I would prefer to pay more money knowing that more time is being spend on each build with a focus on quality in mind.

• Like 1

I can assure all those reading this, that the "quality" aspect of this controller will not be sacrificed, not if I'm building it.  In all honesty there isn't a lot of possible cost to cut out of this type of controller.  Cheaper key-switch or micro-switch buttons can be had that could save approximately $10 cost, a shorter cord (or simply purchasing a cheap-o Chinese-made db-9 extension cable) could save a few bucks, but other than that, that's about it...shy of replacing the aluminum enclosure with a cardboard shoe-box, or some such similar item.  I haven't "timed" the build time of one of these yet, but modifying/reinforcing the enclosure alone takes about 1-1.5 hours, then machining the enclosure, printing/laminating/trimming/applying adhesive to, then applying the CPO, measuring out and making up the cable, installing and orienting the push-buttons and installing the leaf-switches, wiring and testing the controller, final assembly of the enclosure housing, and then packaging.  It'll probably be in the 3.5 - 4.0 hour range per controller.  And while I'm happy to help out the community and offer these controllers, I need something for my time.  At currently approximately 50 controllers @ 4 hours each, that's 200 hours.  When you go in to work tomorrow, tell your boss that for the next 5 weeks of full time work, you're working pro bono...to give you some sort of idea of the time required.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, doubledown said:

(or simply purchasing a cheap-o Chinese-made db-9 extension cable) 

Off topic, for my own interest.  do you make your own cables?  or if not can I ask where you get them?  thanks

topic back on

and I can understand the time to build controllers.  I built 7 intellivision and 2 CV paddle controllers, and that was a lot of work!

4 hours ago, doubledown said:

As of now, this is just an interest check poll.  There will be some sort of official type of announcement to follow.  

And you can find that announcement here:

Thanks to everyone who have participated in the poll! Voting in this poll is now pointless, since we're officially going ahead with the project. If you want to pre-order the Asteroids Controller and/or the Asteroids ColecoVision game, go to the topic linked above for more info!  :D 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, evg2000 said:

Off topic, for my own interest.  do you make your own cables?  or if not can I ask where you get them?  thanks

For DB-9 cables, I currently make my own.  I use to salvage Genesis controller/extension cables, but their prices are getting "out of hand" for what they are, and the wiring inside the cables is a pain to work with.  I tried some of the cheap-o Chinese-made extension cables that are littered all over ebay, and they were even worse garbage.  The cable I use now is 9-conductor, 28 AWG, 7/36 strand, with a super flexible outer PVC jacket.  Plus now I can make controller cables any length I want, I'm not limited to a 6' cord minus the internal controller length loss.  Then there's the advantage of the new controller ends that aren't all jacked up from years of use and abuse.  It's not cheap though.  The cable costs about $1.10 per foot, if ordering less than 500' at a time, then the Hood, Connector, Sockets/Pins, and Strain Guard combined cost just shy of $7.00...all plus shipping.  Additionally there are 2 separate specialty crimp tools required, 1 for the sockets/pins, and one for the strain guard.  But it's made my life so much more enjoyable, not dealing with old cables, I won't go back.  

• Like 2

Count me interested in one.   I want the QUALITY.   For the people looking for the cheap version, They made two different versions for the 2600 back in the day.   Did you see them back then?  Do you see them now?    I wonder why??    

37 minutes ago, scotty said:

Count me interested in one.   I want the QUALITY.   For the people looking for the cheap version, They made two different versions for the 2600 back in the day.   Did you see them back then?  Do you see them now?    I wonder why??    

Please check post #88 above.  :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, scotty said:

I did have to hunt to find my two starplex controllers and they are not the best quality.

17 hours ago, christo930 said:

$150 is OUTRAGEOUS for a 5 (or 6) button control panel.  It's not even just $150. There's going to be at least another 20-$40 or more for shipping, assuming it is big and heavy to command a $150 price point.

Feel free to go purchase the cheaper equivalent at your local Wal-Mart.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, christo930 said:

$150 is OUTRAGEOUS for a 5 (or 6) button control panel.  It's not even just $150. There's going to be at least another 20-$40 or more for shipping, assuming it is big and heavy to command a $150 price point.

I realize that $150 is a lot of money for "what it is," but I don't think much of anything in this community is thought of like that.  This isn't something mass marketed.  We can add up all the parts to see what the bottom line is, but on top of that is the assembly time (including the reinforcement of the case, drilling holes, wiring) that has to be done for each unit, printing the panels, proofing, etc.  As shown by this thread, there is interest at that price.  Nobody's twisting the arms of the buyers.  If it's not worth $150 to you, you don't have to buy it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mingus said:

I realize that $150 is a lot of money for "what it is," but I don't think much of anything in this community is thought of like that.  This isn't something mass marketed.  We can add up all the parts to see what the bottom line is, but on top of that is the assembly time (including the reinforcement of the case, drilling holes, wiring) that has to be done for each unit, printing the panels, proofing, etc.  As shown by this thread, there is interest at that price.  Nobody's twisting the arms of the buyers.  If it's not worth $150 to you, you don't have to buy it.

I wasn't saying they were ripping people off, just that it is too expensive.  After shipping the price is probably going to be the best part of $200 which seems very expensive to me for a 5 button controller.  I'm not saying it doesn't have a high cost of production, just the economics don't work for me.

On 1/22/2020 at 9:45 PM, christo930 said:

Is someone forcing you to buy one?  No?  That's what I thought... 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, christo930 said:

I wasn't saying they were ripping people off, just that it is too expensive.  After shipping the price is probably going to be the best part of $200 which seems very expensive to me for a 5 button controller.  I'm not saying it doesn't have a high cost of production, just the economics don't work for me.

For what it is worth I can say I held one of these controllers the other day as well as many of his other controllers for other systems. They are all great quality and well thought out for playability. 

• Like 2