IGNORED

The most iconic Atari character

ilmenit

Nintendo has Mario, Sega has Sonic. Who would be for you the most iconic Atari character?

Rockford from "Boulder Dash" is very multiplatform, the same with Panama Joe from "Montezuma's Revenge" (this character is even trademarked).

Pitfall Harry? Robbo? Anonymous guy from Zybex? ?

When I think about Atari, I think about very famous video game characters that were originally invented by other companies, but released in the arcade under Atari's name... or become popular in Atari's systems... like Pac-Man (Namco), Dragon's Lair's Dirk (Cinematronics) or Dig Dug (Namco). Even Kangaroo was made by Sun Electronics hehe.

For me its the Robot from the walking Robot demo or the Swan from a similar demo...They say Atari to me in spades...

If it was a game character then indeed, Bounty Bob would be a good choice although the Lode runner load screen is also good but can you really choose a character that has appeared on other computers as 'most Atari'?

• Like 7

That was one of Atari's problems without them realising it.

Despite practically inventing the industry they never really had an iconic character on any platform including arcades.

Also "platform" is the operative word there too.  Most of Mario's and the Kong's early appearances were in platformers or scroll/jump/collect games which were an evolution of platformers.

Sonic from Sega, scroll/jump game.  Crash Bandicoot was probably Sony's icon - 3D jump/collect game.

Microsoft?  Maybe the Halo characters?

Atari?  Not that many games even used recognisable living characters.  Centipede - unclear WTH that thing's supposed to be - a snake head maybe?

The dude from 720?  Too late to become an icon and too minor, plus that game wasn't ported to many Atari home systems.

At least a few of the systems had their killer apps - Star Raiders on the 800, Space Invaders on the 2600.  But I can't really name any for 7800, Lynx or Jaguar.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Gauntlet crossed my mind but it's 4 characters and they're not really that recognisable.  The game itself was probably most renowned for it's D&D shooter flavour and for being 4 player simultaneous action.

How about the bat from Pong?

167344251_Pongactionfigure.thumb.jpg.f040cc22b63761835cf9581c88202d65.jpg

Or the “ball”. Hey, that could do double duty with the thingy in Adventure!

Yeah, ain't that the truth......Just like all those labels who only produced barely budget quality games, as soon as you saw the name you were already doubting the product which usually turned out to be the right choice..

I don't even know who owns the name now, still with infogames (or whatever their name was?)

• Like 1

Actually Atari recognized this problem in the 80's. When they made Gravitar they wanted it to have a "game character". Thus, you have this weird looking alien in the cabinet art.

Unfortunately that awesome game was too difficult for the masses and it offered just too much strategy and finesse for that era. But that interview is interesting.

http://www.cooganphoto.com/gravitar/interview.html

• Mike Hally: The game name was as difficult to agree upon as it was doing the entire game. This was the era when the marketing and sales staff got involved and determined that it was their job to approve of the game name. As you can see (in the project documents) I went through some procedures and spent money doing searches and still the name changed! The reason you change from Lunar Battle is that it was tested and the results were so-so. Rumors in the field are bad and by changing the name it gives it a new life. Look at the status reports to determine when the name switch was made. I don't recall seeing any official documents in the binder about the name change. Oh well.

The guy they added to the artwork is Gravitar. Atari wanted to have a character in the game, (kind of) since character games were becoming popular! As you can see I had to deal with more than just designing a game that people would put money in to play!
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ilmenit said:

Nintendo has Mario, Sega has Sonic. Who would be for you the most iconic Atari character?

C64? ZX Spectrum? Amstrad? BBC Micro? Character shows by You is characters for game console, not for computers. So, I think - for computers choice is not so clear... We can get only Atari games characters? For me good choice will be cat from "Alley Cat". "Robbo"? Not, it was convert for too many platforms. "Zybex", "Draconus" - also for C64, if I remember ZX Spectrum too. I think that is no clear characters for computer platform, but - as said ROger - we have iconic computer...

• Like 2