IGNORED

The most iconic Atari character

ilmenit

On 1/2/2020 at 1:05 PM, zzip said:

Bentley Bear?   That seems like the most logical one to me that could have gone up against Mario/Sonic.   But first he would have needed to be used in more games

Very much this, Atari even had him in Atari Karts for the Jag...

Personally, I think Yar would haven been cooler for hardcore gamers.

• Like 1

My vote agrees with a couple of people before me, Frognum from Draconus.

Oh, him and the Escape character anyway. I've never seen an escape character with it's own graphical representation before, though I am willing to be surprised.

Edited by snicklin

29 minutes ago, Preppie said:

Check out the rich dude! I dream of shopping in Asda, my shopping is done in Aldi :)

I'm sorry, I can't talk to your sort .......

Lol...Rich my backside...Was in Lidl the other day and Aldi but only buy certain things from them, when beans are 9p a tin you just know its going to be watery sauce and tasteless beans...Some of the thursday specials are ok..

As it happens we shop at Tesco but there is a very good reason to do with my daughters diet that we use them.

I'm like yourself, a ticket goes on the lottery so that maybe one day I can buy good stuff :)   Some nice Atari gear would be spot on :)

I almost live int shoe box int middle oh road...

On 1/2/2020 at 10:08 AM, ilmenit said:

Nintendo has Mario, Sega has Sonic. Who would be for you the most iconic Atari character?

Rockford from "Boulder Dash" is very multiplatform, the same with Panama Joe from "Montezuma's Revenge" (this character is even trademarked).

Pitfall Harry? Robbo? Anonymous guy from Zybex? ?

Mario is very multi platform, IBM, C64, Atari, Philips, Intellivision etc

32 minutes ago, kenjennings said:

I like the player from Mountain King, wearing the crown.   But, I'm like one of five people left alive who like that game.

MountainKingDude_X_3.png

Me too! So that's two of us. Too bad it's a CBS game, not from Atari itself. 

Lil crown dude looks better than the fella in the magazine advertisement:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Preppie said:

Check out the rich dude! I dream of shopping in Asda, my shopping is done in Aldi :)0

I love Aldi's.  That's the only place in South Florida that carries awesome groceries from Germany.   (My kid had to explain family heritage for a school project, and we spent days looking for a place to buy spaetzle.)

• Like 1

This just really proves what myself and Rybags were saying, Atari did a great job (some of the time) EXCEPT never having an iconic character to be recognised for...

Apart from the Fuji symbol which is most Atari to Atarians that's it really and as its not really about Atari then its sort of fake.

Shame but it does not detract from the fun of the games...

Berzerk is a licenced game though and not very high profile.

"Shame" ... that sparks the memory.

If not for Star Raiders being the killer app then it probably would have been Shamus.

The Shamus character is pretty cool, albeit a bit simple.  But probably not high profile enough (to the point where I had to edit and enlarge to get this image as I couldn't find him on his own).

Shamus.jpg.0550771ff305cb3bdd6a97758dfe1b1b.jpg

3 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

This just really proves what myself and Rybags were saying, Atari did a great job (some of the time) EXCEPT never having an iconic character to be recognised for...

Apart from the Fuji symbol which is most Atari to Atarians that's it really and as its not really about Atari then its sort of fake.

Shame but it does not detract from the fun of the games...

I think part of the problem is there just weren't enough pixels to create something iconic. Pitfall Harry was one of the earliest games to try to make a humanoid character we could all relate to. It wasn't until the NES came out, that home systems had enough pixels and colors to make something that people could really relate to. I mean, can you think of anything as iconic for other systems prior to NES?

• Like 2

An Atari icon character, to be an Atari icon, must be a character invented by Atari themselves, IMHO. Mr. Robot, Shamus, etc. are not Atari made characters. The best possible Atari icon must be Bentley Bear, there is no other as there is no more recognizable character made by Atari, even if Bentley isn't much of an iconic character, it's the best Atari had.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, toddtmw said:

I think part of the problem is there just weren't enough pixels to create something iconic. Pitfall Harry was one of the earliest games to try to make a humanoid character we could all relate to. It wasn't until the NES came out, that home systems had enough pixels and colors to make something that people could really relate to. I mean, can you think of anything as iconic for other systems prior to NES?

I get where you are coming from but Pacman is as instantly recognisable even with fewer pixels and the asteroid ship again is just 'it'...I think its a case of game depth and other stuff and that would put Alternate reality right up as a perfect Atari thing. But there's the thing, there's all of us with loads of memories between us and we can't seem to find an agreeable definite thing...

Perhaps we should just remember Atari as a brand back then as iconic and not try and narrow it down..Back then we had arcade Atari, home entertainment (Pong) Atari and consoles and computers Atari, there's so much to love from those choices.

On 1/3/2020 at 3:23 PM, Cafeman said:

Atari could have several potential iconic mascot characters.

-  A spaceship shooting an asteroid, with pew-pew-pew sounds. 

- the Centipede. 

- Bentley Bear. picking up gems. 

- the Adventure square holding his “arrow sword” against the duck dragon. 

- pong or breakout paddles hitting the ball. 

How about the mushroom from Centipede ;)

The answer is Gwobby of course! Star of four games and maybe another one one day!

GBSLv16.png.eb88bd6776d1df83afafb9d1b8366360.png

If this is Atari in general, I'd say the square from Adventure. Atari 8 bit? Hmm... Maybe Pitfall Harry? But wait... Harry is from Activision... I think it *might* be... I honestly have no idea. No Atari 8 bit stuff specifically reminds me of Atari.

Edited by bluejay