IGNORED

The most iconic Atari character

ilmenit

In the late 70's and early 80's, iconic characters were not in games that I can recall, except PacMan (not Atari obv). It was about the gameplay. The game itself. The problem with an iconic character is that it can pigeon hole your company. It's as if the PS4 or XB would be associated with one character. I don't even think Minecraft has an 'iconic character' does it? Never played it.

However Pitfall Harry symbolized Atari even if it wasn't their creation. Also the Asteriods ship. The whole Pong screen.  There were many games, as in being a gaming platform. The combat tank or planes...

Fuji was THE iconic Atari character.

Edited by Sugarland
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I think that key issue is that Atari from early on tried to not create sequels, their arcade and home output was largely a string of unique games.

Unlike the later companies who both in the arcades and the home market recognised that familiar fare made purchasing/playing decisions easier for consumers - ooh Super Mario Bros. II, I loved the first one, so it's a no-brainer purchase/play...

From that position there is no possibility of a mascot helming a series of games.

Also add to the fact that creatively Atari Games were not story driven, largely, and characters need a world in which to live, to explore and be expanded by games and fans alike.

This is something Nintendo recognised very quickly and supported their mascots with numerous games, a cast of characters with intentions, needs and goals and world/lore that made it seem like a living breathing place - something we all love, from TV shows to books, to comics, to movies...

sTeVE

• Like 1