IGNORED

What have you ACTUALLY played tracker - Modern Edition (2020)

carlsson

tl;dr: Play games from 21st century systems and post your times!

For the third season in a row, it is time for the Modern gameplay tracker.

Here are the links to previous seasons of the tracker: 2018 | 2019

So what is this?

The basic idea is to post what games you played during each week, and for how long. You don't have to time it down to the minute (though some of us do), and estimates are acceptable. Then, at the end of the week, the statskeeper (that's me) totals everything up and we find out which games and platforms are seeing the most action. Each week, we have top 10 lists for consoles/computers and for individual games.

Guidelines:

1. Be sure to list the system, the name of the game, and the length of time you play. Please note if the game has any alternate titles by which it's better known. If you list multiple games, please group them by platform. If you play on a backwards-compatible system, e.g. Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One or PS2 games on PS3, the game should be listed under the older platform's name. This also means that games predating 2000 played on a modern system should be posted in the classic games tracker. e.g. PS1 games played on PS2, GB/GBC games played on GBA, Wonderswan played on Wonderswan Color, Windows 95/98 games on a newer PC and so forth.

2. Each week runs Monday through Sunday (at midnight), though exceptions may occur around New Year. Try to post your times no later than night to Tuesday in your local timezone. I will generally wait until Tuesday afternoon/evening Central European Time before compiling the stats. If you post after stats have been posted, your times will be counted for the next week. Feel free to indicate in your post which dates your times relate to.

3. Playing on actual hardware is preferred, although emulators are certainly allowed. In some cases (homebrews in development, rare arcade games) there's no alternative to using an emulator.

4. Our cutoff year is 2000. That is, eligible consoles and computers have to have been first released somewhere in the world after 2000. Basically any systems released around the PlayStation 2, XBox, GameCube, Game Boy Advance or after. Anything released before this time period (including the Sega Dreamcast) please post to the Classic Game Tracker :)

The same goes for computers: we count Windows XP or newer, but not 98 or older; Mac OS X or newer, but not OS 9 or older; and so on.

5. Arcade games released on or after January 1, 2000 are permitted.

6. You don't just have to post a bare list of times -- comments, stories, gripes, and helpful hints are always encouraged! If you're struggling with a level, got a new high score, or have some thoughts about what's great or what stinks about a particular game...well, that's the kind of stuff that makes this fun to read.

How to make the statskeeper's life easier:

- If you post a big list of games, please consider alphabetizing them first (after grouping them by platform).

- Posting your times in minutes, rather than hours + minutes, makes things a little simpler.
- Even if you don't know the exact time, it's better to post a specific number and say it's an estimate. If you say you posted a bunch of games for "between 20 minutes and an hour", I'll just average everything out to 40 minutes, but it's much better to have a sense of which games you played more and which ones you played less.

- If there's room for confusion or ambiguity, please address that in advance so I don't have to research it myself. Non-US releases, homebrews in progress, alternate titles, and expanded re-releases can get especially tricky.

That about covers it.

If you haven't participated before, or if you did and got busy with other things, consider taking part in 2020! You may find that it has some interesting side effects -- I've found that keeping a log dramatically changes how I think about my own gaming, and mostly for the better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Ah . . . here it is.  I looked through the Modern Gaming topic list, but I didn't see this new 2020 thread at first:

PS4

Detroit: Become Human 699

X360

Bioshock Infinite 756

N+ 3

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2 419

XOne

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag 1150

I dug into my modern gaming backlog this week and devoted some serious time to some highly rated titles.  Black Flag is easily my favorite of this group, and I think I need therapy after putting almost 12 hours into Detroit: BH and getting a series of really crappy endings.

• Like 4

I received an Amazon gift from work so part of it was spent on Switch games, woo!  I picked up a couple that have been on my 'wishlist' for a while.

Switch:

River City Girls -- 492 minutes

Torchlight 2 -- 1928 minutes

Torchlight 2 is MUCH improved from release, having received 2 quality-of-life updates- my wife commented watching me that it ran much better than when she bought it initially.  ;) 

I'm most of the way through my first playthrough of River City Girls and having a blast!  The bosses are challenging for me but not impossible- especially if you remember to hit up one of the shops and buy some Stamina stuff ahead of the fight.  One of the fights about midway through is a real pain in the heinie until you figure out his attack patterns.  Without giving spoilers, I'm to the tower now.

• Like 3

Switch

Fire Emblem: Three Houses (2202 min)

Hoo boy, this game has grabbed me. The gameplay is fun, the characters are interesting, and the story is enticing, even if the midgame twist is entirely predictable, due to some very on-the-nose foreshadowing (or at least is was with the house I chose to side with to start the game).

• Like 3

It's been a crazy busy past week around here so I haven't had time to do my household's stat totals for 2019 yet, or even check in to see the final tracker community stats from 2019, but here's my household's times for the first and rather short week of the year. I'm hoping Wednesday I'll have the time to sit down and crunch the numbers for last year's end of year wrap up. :)

Ineligible

Galaga (Arcade, played on Namco Museum Arcade Pac for Nintendo Switch) - 10 minutes

Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar (Sega Genesis) - 86 minutes

Millipede Trak-Ball (Atari 2600) - 8 minutes

Missile Command (Atari 2600) - 16 minutes

Missile Command Trak-Ball (Atari 2600) - 14 minutes

Ms. Pac-Man (Atari 2600) - 11 minutes

Tomb Raider III (PlayStation) - 242 minutes

Nintendo Switch

Starlink: Battle for Atlas - 365 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

752 minutes (12 hours 32 minutes) [365 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 365 minutes

PlayStation: 242 minutes

Sega Genesis: 86 minutes

Atari 2600: 49 minutes

Arcade: 10 minutes

Edited by Jin
  • Like 4

Week 01

Top games

1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch) - 2202 min. *
2. Torchlight 2 (Switch) - 1928 min.
3. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Xbox One) - 1150 min.
4. Bioshock Infinite (Xbox 360) - 756 min.
5. Detroit: Being Human (PS4) - 699 min.
6. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Xbox One) - 534 min. *
7. River City Girls (Switch) - 492 min.
8. Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox One) - 459 min.
9. Microsoft Solitaire Collection (iOS) - 437 min. *
10. Outer Worlds, The (Xbox One) - 427 min.

Top systems

1. Switch - 4987 min.
2. Xbox One - 2570 min.
3. Xbox 360 - 1178 min.
4. PS4 - 859 min.
5. iOS - 437 min.

Total 10031 minutes and 14 different games on 5 different systems.

New year, new games! Only three of the top 10 from the end of 2019 remain at the beginning of 2020, of which Fire Emblem: Three Houses takes the title. Together with Torchlight 2, these two lead the Switch into its first systems title for the year.

And yes indeed, despite being a shorter week it is the second busiest ever counting by number of minutes, only 128 minutes away from the record!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, carlsson said:

Week 01

Top games

1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch) - 2202 min. *
2. Torchlight 2 (Switch) - 1928 min.
3. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Xbox One) - 1150 min.
4. Bioshock Infinite (Xbox 360) - 756 min.
5. Detroit: Being Human (PS4) - 699 min.

5. Detroit: Become Human (PS4) - 699 min.

Small correction there

• Like 2

Switch

Fire Emblem: Three Houses (1190 min)

Lots more Fire Emblem this week.  I'm in the home stretch, probably around 10 or so hours to go.  This game is right up my alley, I'll likely play again in the future with a different house.

I've got an Occulus Quest arriving next week, so I should have a new platform to add to the list...

• Like 2

Dedicated Handheld

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Pinball (by Boardwalk Arcade) 5

PC

Pinball Arcade, The 62

PS4

Detroit: Become Human 201

X360

Bioshock Infinite 433

XOne

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag 1057

I "finished" both Detroit and Bioshock Infinite.  I can't say I was really impressed with either game.  Sadly, Detroit is at its worst when it tries to take on its broadest story material, and I really felt like Infinite was a step back from the original Bioshock both in terms of story and gameplay.  Thankfully Black Flag is probably the best Assassin's Creed game made, so I am happy to finally be digging into it.

• Like 2

Thanks to an update to the Nintendo Switch versions of Doom and Doom II this past week which added a few features that were never present in the original PC-DOS releases, such as a visual weapon carousel for changing weapons and 60 frames per second gameplay (the originals were capped at 35 fps), I'll now be logging all my time spent playing Doom on the Switch under the heading of Nintendo Switch instead of PC-DOS. :) 

Ineligible

Super Monaco GP (Sega Genesis) - 88 minutes

Tomb Raider III (Sony PlayStation) - 166 minutes

Virtua Racing (Sega Genesis) - 17 minutes

Virtua Racing Deluxe (Sega 32X) - 72 minutes

Nintendo Switch

Doom: SIGIL - 280 minutes

Doom II: No Rest for the Living - 315 minutes

Final Doom - 370 minutes

Starlink: Battle for Atlas - 70 minutes

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 215 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,593 minutes (26 hours 33 minutes) [1,250 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 1,250 minutes

Sony PlayStation: 166 minutes

Sega Genesis: 105 minutes

Sega 32X: 72 minutes

• Like 2

Xbox One

The Outer Worlds - 600 min (I'm guessing a bit on this one, but it has to be around 10 hours I played.  I'm not sure how far I am into the game, but I've done a ton of quests and having a blast.  If you haven't played it, I describe it as a cross between Fallout 3/NV, Bioshock, and Mass Effect (and maybe a little Borderlands thrown in, too).  If you like those, you'll like this.)

Playstation 3

Diablo III - 360 min (Again, guessing here, but it took up most of my time yesterday.  A game I've had for a while now, but have never played because I only just recently got a PS3 that has a working disc drive.  I'm having a lot of fun with it, but now I've got this situation where I have to choose what game I'm going to play, because I have several that I am really wanting to play right now.)

Edited by Eltigro
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Eltigro said:

Xbox One

The Outer Worlds - 600 min (I'm guessing a bit on this one, but it has to be around 10 hours I played.  I'm not sure how far I am into the game, but I've done a ton of quests and having a blast.  If you haven't played it, I describe it as a cross between Fallout 3/NV, Bioshock, and Mass Effect (and maybe a little Borderlands thrown in, too).  If you like those, you'll like this.)

Playstation 3

Diablo III - 360 min (Again, guessing here, but it took up most of my time yesterday.  A game I've had for a while now, but have never played because I only just recently got a PS3 that has a working disc drive.  I'm having a lot of fun with it, but now I've got this situation where I have to choose what game I'm going to play, because I have several that I am really wanting to play right now.)

I can't remember how to get to PS4 game played time, but for Xbox, it's this:

1. Boot up your Xbox One. Find the game for which you want to check the hours played on the home screen. Alternatively, you can use the My Games and Apps menu. Highlight the game’s icon.
  2. Use the hamburger menu key on your controller to bring up the App menu.
  3. Then tap on Go To Official Club.
  4. Scroll left or right to access the Progress tab on the new screen you’ll see.
  5. You’ll land on the Achievements tab. Scroll down and select on the Stats tab.
  6. The Stats tab will show you total hours played, and some other interesting game statistics. Here you can click on Compare with Friends and see who spent more hours playing this game.

Not sure why they make it such a PITA to see...

Edited by Agamon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Week 02

Top games

1. Torchlight 2 (Switch) - 1953 min. (2)
2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch) - 1190 min. (1)
3. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Xbox One) - 1057 min. (3)
4. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Xbox One) - 966 min. (6)
5. Outer Worlds, The (Xbox One) - 600 min. (10)
6. Doom: SIGIL / Classic (Switch) - 534 min. (-)
7. Bioshock Infinite (Xbox 360) - 433 min. (4)
8. River City Girls (Switch) - 376 min. (7)
9. Final Doom (Switch) - 370 min. (-)
10. Diablo III (PS3) - 360 min. (-)

Top systems

1. Switch - 5023 min. (1)
2. Xbox One - 2684 min. (2)
3. PS4 - 531 min. (4)
4. Xbox 360 - 433 min. (3)
5. PS3 - 360 min. (-)
6. iOS - 295 min. (5)
7. PC - 62 min. (-)
8. Dedicated Handheld - 5 min. (-)

Total 9393 minutes and 20 different games on 8 different systems.

Torchlight 2 and Fire Emblem switch places, while maintaining the Switch in first place among the systems. For fun I added last week's position in parenthesis, showing how games move up and down on the list each week.

So I presume that the entry for DOOM on Switch (6831 min) is different from the SIGIL / Classic version of Doom logged this week, and furthermore that Doom II and Doom 3 are their own entries, not to mention Final Doom of course? As you know, I'm a bit rusty on all of this...

• Like 2

i see it in my head like below- the Doom with 6831 minutes is the 2016 reboot/updated game.  Doom Sigil / Classic and Doom 2 have been changed enough for the Switch I think they'd merit their own entry for Modern.  If played as a ported or original release, then it'd be Classic.

DOOM (2016)

Doom Sigil / Doom Classic

Doom II

I don't know about the versions of Doom 3 or Final Doom and how much they've been changed when ported to the Switch.

My two cents. :)

• Like 2

PC Windows 7:
Mahjong Titans - 1200 min.

So yes, usually I don't keep track on how much time I spend on various solitaire games or Bubbles in Emacs but this week I found the built-in Mahjong game and started to play it. The time is a rough estimate, based on the number of games I played and the timer running for each game. 20 hours seems like a lot for someone like me, but I wasted a few evenings while watching YouTube next to it so it probably is accurate.

• Like 1