IGNORED

What have you ACTUALLY played tracker - Modern Edition (2020)

carlsson

Xbox One

PUBG: 1,099 minutes

Forza Horizon 4: 463 minutes

iOS

Microsoft Sudoku: 387 minutes

Microsoft Solitaire Collection: 145 minutes

As an aside, I managed to unlock 99 XBL achievements in February, my most productive month since August 2016 (104). It feels good to diversify my gaming. :) 

• Like 3

It was another pretty excellent week for gaming around here! I beat the arcade version of Splatterhouse on the Switch for the first time ever, then beat Splatterhouse 2 on the Genesis, wrapped up my play through of DOOM (2016), and did a full play through of Alien 3 on the Genesis together with the misses; swapping the controller between levels. I also got some more arcade gaming in, meeting up with a friend late Friday night at GameWorks in the Mall of America to play some games and hang out. :)

Ineligible

Alien 3 (Sega Genesis) - 223 minutes

The House of the Dead 2 (Arcade, Classic) - 5 minutes

Ms. Pac-Man (Atari 2600) - 10 minutes

Plaque Attack (Atari 2600) - 9 minutes

Splatterhouse (Arcade, Classic. Played on Namco Museum Arcade Pac for Nintendo Switch) - 180 minutes

Splatterhouse 2 (Sega Genesis) - 154 minutes

Virtua Racing (Sega Genesis) - 27 minutes

Arcade

The House of the Dead 4 - 20 minutes

Jurassic Park Arcade - 10 minutes

Space Invaders Frenzy - 5 minutes

World's Largest Pac-Man - 20 minutes

Nintendo Switch

DOOM (2016) - 125 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

788 minutes (13 hours 8 minutes) [180 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Sega Genesis: 404 minutes

Arcade (Classic): 185 minutes

Nintendo Switch: 125 minutes

Arcade (Modern): 55 minutes

Atari 2600: 19 minutes

• Like 5

XB1

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (737 min)

Oculus Quest

Beat Saber (475 min)

So this week looks a lot like last week for me. I'm in the 3rd act of SotTR, but I'm also going back to do all the tombs and crypts I missed and gather the collectibles, so that's extending the game a bit. I don't usually bother doing that anymore, but I did it for the first two games in the series.

I'm kind of in a frustrating spot in BS, where I feel I should always be able to beat Expert and Hard is getting a tad too easy, but that often isn't the case. Not all songs are equal, so rationally, I know that isn't necessarily true, but I still get annoyed when I fail to pass 3 songs in a row. It takes focus, too, and some days are better than others for that, so that's a thing, too.  Still enjoying it overall though.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Agamon said:

XB1

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (737 min)

Oculus Quest

Beat Saber (475 min)

So this week looks a lot like last week for me. I'm in the 3rd act of SotTR, but I'm also going back to do all the tombs and crypts I missed and gather the collectibles, so that's extending the game a bit. I don't usually bother doing that anymore, but I did it for the first two games in the series.

I'm kind of in a frustrating spot in BS, where I feel I should always be able to beat Expert and Hard is getting a tad too easy, but that often isn't the case. Not all songs are equal, so rationally, I know that isn't necessarily true, but I still get annoyed when I fail to pass 3 songs in a row. It takes focus, too, and some days are better than others for that, so that's a thing, too.  Still enjoying it overall though.

I was also planning to play "Shadow" as part of GamePass, but alas, it is gone now.  I really enjoyed "Rise" A LOT!

• Like 2

Week 09

Top games

1. Moonlighter (Switch) - 1340 min.
2. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Xbox One) - 1099 min. (#4)
3. Shadow of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One) - 737 min. (#3)
4. Celeste (Xbox One) - 480 min. (#10)
4. Sonic Mania Plus (PS4) - 480 min.
6. Beat Saber (Oculus Quest) - 475 min. (#5)
7. Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox One) - 463 min. (#2)
8. Microsoft Sudoku (iOS) - 387 min.
9. Shenmue III (PS4) - 300 min.
10. Microsoft Solitaire Collection (iOS) - 145 min.

Top systems

1. Xbox One - 2977 min. (#1)
2. Switch - 1465 min. (#2)
3. PS4 - 780 min. (#4)
4. iOS - 532 min. (#5)
5. Oculus Quest - 475 min. (#3)
6. PC - 125 min.
7. Arcade - 55 min. (#8)
8. Gamecube - 50 min. (#6)

Total 6459 minutes and 22 different games on 8 different systems.

The number of games and systems are the same as last week, but the actual games played differ a little. I understand as much as Moonlighter is a rouge-lite game about the shopkeeper Will who dreams about becoming a hero. My personal experience with shopkeepers in rogue games is mostly limited to playing NetHack and back then you should not mess with them unless you had something like a tame centaur (all hail polymorphing your pet) which could do the dirty work for you and leave the shop empty to pillage afterwards.

Otherwise it is a standard mix with now two Microsoft titles played on an Apple product... while not entirely unthinkable even back in the days, it is a little spectacular. Also systems wise the Xbox One holds onto the title for one more week.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, carlsson said:

The number of games and systems are the same as last week, but the actual games played differ a little. I understand as much as Moonlighter is a rouge-lite game about the shopkeeper Will who dreams about becoming a hero. My personal experience with shopkeepers in rogue games is mostly limited to playing NetHack and back then you should not mess with them unless you had something like a tame centaur (all hail polymorphing your pet) which could do the dirty work for you and leave the shop empty to pillage afterwards.

Otherwise it is a standard mix with now two Microsoft titles played on an Apple product... while not entirely unthinkable even back in the days, it is a little spectacular. Also systems wise the Xbox One holds onto the title for one more week.

Thanks!  I usually give a breakdown but was just too tired this week to provide anything of real use.  :)

Moonlighter is a pretty niche-y title, though it satisfies several itches depending on the kind of game you like.  At its heart, there are two main cycles of game play: 1) Going to the dungeon-crawling to get loot and 2) Selling your loot in your store.  There's a 'story' of sorts, but it's largely lost I feel in the cycles of the gameplay.  It's compelling to me because of the grind involved; there's just enough difficulty that you have to upgrade your gear (which means more dungeon-crawling and more selling stuff, because you have to have mats to build the stuff and its EXPENSIVE to upgrade your gear), and there's grinding a bit because you have to upgrade your shop to make the most efficient work of your dungeon-crawling (which means.. more dungeon-crawling and more selling stuff).

I guess, too, if you want to imagine what it's like to be an NPC in an RPG it'd be pretty apt!

• Like 2

PC:

Darkest Dungeon 150

Hand of Fate 2 62

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series 530

Monaco GP Remake 58

Pinball Arcade, The 42

Pinball FX 3 77

Thimbleweed Park 340

Warsaw 94

Zaccaria Pinball 35

Xone:

Celeste 580

Outward 131

Supermarket Shriek 52

I played a bunch of different stuff this week.  A lot of my PC gaming was inspired by the fact that I got a new computer last week.  Telltale's Guardians of the Galaxy didn't work on my old machine, so it was fun to play through that.  It was exactly what you'd expect from a late Telltale game.  I'm sure most of the story was re-hashed from the comics, but I've never read a Guardians comic, so it was really a fun way to get to know those characters via this game, AND the soundtrack was great (even though it seems like it may have gotten watered down since the original release).

I played Thimbleweed Park through Xbox Game Pass for PC.  I've been meaning to play this game for a while, but it took the warning that it would soon be removed from Game Pass to motivate me.  They've really brought the classic Lucasfilm point and click adventure forward with this one (in a good way).

And of course, there's Celeste.  What an enjoyable beating this game is!  I have finished the main story and am going back through for some collectibles.  There seems to be almost 3 extra games worth of content here to unlock, and while that's amazing, I don't think I can handle that many beatings . . . enjoyable as they are.  I'll probably last another few hours or so.

• Like 4

Xbox One

PUBG: 1,044 minutes

Forza Horizon 4: 947 minutes

iOS

Microsoft Sudoku: 1,222 minutes

Microsoft Solitaire Collection: 60 minutes

I didn't think I spent that much time playing Sudoku last week, but apparently I did. I managed to earn the majority of the achievements, including the one for reaching Level 250, which involved a lot of grinding on the Grandmaster level. That number will decrease dramatically going forward.

Edited by StormSurge
  • Like 4

Two games on the the Modern tracker this week, both Switch titles.  :)  Maybe I'll see some XBox One time once the BL3 xpac drops later this month.

Switch:

Moonlighter -- 728 minutes

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX -- 1294 minutes

I trudged on last week with the 'NPC simulator' in Moonlighter- I'm at the next-to-last dungeon of the game and was working on building up gear (somewhat).

The new pickup is the remake of a Pokemon game with a crazy long name, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX (Turbo Hyper Fighting Edition, ha).  The game is charming with its presentation and characters- the only caveat is that if you are looking for a grand adventure and something that's not samey and grindy, you're going to find it sorely lacking.  If you don't mind the grind and exploring the dungeons with your Pokemon pals, it's a pretty solid game so far.

• Like 4

It was a pretty standard week around here in terms of gaming time logged, though the time was divided over just a few games. First I did a play through of Double Impact, the new Doom expansion that was recently released for classic Doom on the Switch, then after a quick run through of Samurai Shodown on the Genesis I spent the rest of the week doubling down on my efforts to finally finish The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I'm on the 4th and final Divine Beast at this point, so after I complete that dungeon all that's left to do is finish finding all of Link's lost memories then go fight Ganon... though I'm sure I'll get distracted by a bazillion sidequests along the way and exploring the parts of Hyrule I have yet to venture out to. :lol:

Ineligible

Samurai Shodown (Sega Genesis) - 56 minutes 

Nintendo Switch

Doom: Double Impact - 420 minutes

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 950 minutes

1,426 minutes (23 hours 46 minutes) [1,370 minutes eligible]

Nintendo Switch: 1,370 minutes

Sega Genesis: 56 minutes

• Like 3

XB1

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (729 min)

Oculus Quest

Beat Saber (415 min)

Synth Riders (58 min)

Continued my SotTR game. I'm working on the DLC challenge tombs (which I didn't realize I needed to download for the definitive edition of the physical disc).

Still playing Beat Saber, but I also tried Synth Riders, which is similar and pretty cool, but alas, its no Beat Saber, lol.

• Like 3

Week 10

Top games

1. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX (Switch) - 1294 min.
2. Microsoft Sudoku (iOS) - 1222 min. (#8)
3. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Xbox One) - 1044 min. (#2)
4. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) - 950 min.
5. Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox One) - 947 min. (#7)
6. Shadow of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One) - 729 min. (#3)
7. Moonlighter (Switch) - 728 min. (#1)
8. Celeste (Xbox One) - 580 min. (#4)
9. Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series (PC) - 530 min.
10. Doom: Double Impact (Classic expansion) (Switch) - 420 min.

Top systems

1. Xbox One - 3483 min. (#1)
2. Switch - 3392 min. (#2)
3. PC - 1388 min. (#6)
4. iOS - 1282 min. (#4)
5. Oculus Quest - 473 min. (#5)

Total 10018 minutes and 23 different games on 5 different systems.

The top game this week is a 2020 remake of a 2005 Pokémon game, which means in theory both could've been at the top of the tracker. Rescue Team DX however takes the title only by a margin of 72 minutes ahead of Microsoft Sudoku. On the systems list, the margin is almost as close - 91 minutes between the Xbox One and Switch.

Also 10018 minutes is the second highest count this year and third highest ever, despite only five participants. Perhaps we'll break a record next week?

• Like 4

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out this as well, if it is some custom Raspberry Pi based handheld. As I wrote in the classic tracker thread, there were two 1993 arcade games called Metamorphic Force and Ninja Baseball Bat Man, but I haven't seen any sequels to those, and I've got no clue what Black Baseball League would be in terms of a video game.

We usually count games on the original system in case they are an exact emulation, or the current system if those appear to be reimplementations rather than entire emulations though sometimes it is hard to tell. Of course if you have a custom handheld that plays some form of MAME, you can assume it is emulating the older arcade games.

1 hour ago, digdugnate said:

black.. handheld?

54 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out this as well, if it is some custom Raspberry Pi based handheld. As I wrote in the classic tracker thread, there were two 1993 arcade games called Metamorphic Force and Ninja Baseball Bat Man, but I haven't seen any sequels to those, and I've got no clue what Black Baseball League would be in terms of a video game.

We usually count games on the original system in case they are an exact emulation, or the current system if those appear to be reimplementations rather than entire emulations though sometimes it is hard to tell. Of course if you have a custom handheld that plays some form of MAME, you can assume it is emulating the older arcade games.

No it plays games without the use of emulation or original carts. All new hardware and games. 6 face buttons, 2 analog sticks, 8 hours of battery life

(sorry about the different fonts - it is harder to keep track when editing stuff like that on this new version of the forum)

PC:

Human Resource Machine 779

Painter's Guild 173

Slay the Spire 173

Thimbleweed Park 441

X360:

Fable: Heroes 144

Xone:

A Way Out 34

Celeste 255

Old Man's Journey 154

Edit to add some commentary:

Human Resource Machine - I'm not sure when I bought this, but it was probably part of a Humble Bundle at some point.  The game consists of various programming challenges that you solve through the use of simple commands that the game gives you.  Stuff like "Copyto" to initialize variables and "Jump" to use looping.  I really got pulled into a few of the optional challenges that are harder than the base game.  I'm not sure how they have actually made this fun, but I'm really enjoying it.  Could be a "lightning in a bottle" situation here as describing it doesn't do it justice.

Celeste - I've described this before as a series of enjoyable beatings.  I played through each of the initial levels and the epilogue at least once.  I collected 4 of the crystal hearts which are kind of like hidden optional prizes in each level.  I consider myself to be done with the game, BUT is it "Beaten?"  Not really.  This game now has almost triple the original content thanks to a recent free DLC called "Farewell."  I tried some of the Farewell content and it . . . beat me - LOL.  I may go back to Celeste at some point, but I'm definitely done with it for a while.

Thimbleweed Park - I opted for an easier route on this one too as it is about to leave XBox gamepass on Tuesday.  I finished the game on "Casual" difficulty and only had to use the built-in hint system 2x.  A very quick glance at some online walkthroughs reveals that there is A LOT more content on the harder difficulty, so I guess I have that to look forward to if I ever buy a copy of this game outside of gamepass.  I'll say that the game really did feel like an old school point and click with some quality of life improvements.  I liked the story in that I didn't see the twist coming.  However, I think they sort of buried the best character into a supporting role.  My favorite character was Delores, and we weren't introduced to her until several hours into the game.  By contrast, the two agents who are on all the game art and you control from the beginning felt kinda bland.  The actors also made choices to limit their vocal performances which made them less dynamic and interesting.

Old Man's Journey - If you don't know about this game, you should check it out.  It is a short story driven adventure with no dialog.  The game action consists of typical mouse-based "click here to move" type stuff with some ability to move around the scenery.  It was enjoyable and only took about 2.5 hours.

• Like 3

Xbox 360: 

Hydro Thunder Hurricane. 2 hours.  Actually unlocked a new X boat on my nearly 10 year old save file.

Virtua Fighter 5. 1 hour. 

Serious Sam HD. 1 hour. 

PS4: 

Injustice 2.  2 hours. Playing story mode. I don't have my head wrapped around the fighting controls yet. Great visuals. 

• Like 3

Xbox One

PUBG: 743 minutes

**Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: 575 minutes

Forza Horizon 4: 223 minutes

Doom 2016: 180 minutes

iOS

Microsoft Solitaire Collection: 128 minutes

Microsoft Sudoku: 85 minutes

**Modern Warfare clarification. I strictly played the Warzone gametype, which was released as a free to play stand-alone game, as well as an add-on to anyone who owns Modern Warfare (which I do). I just wanted to mention it in case others download the standalone game.

So Microsoft Sudoku stopped loading as of Friday for me & is also not registering on my Screen Time tracker, so that's just an estimate (fairly accurate).

• Like 2

I mixed it up with two different consoles and a handful of games :)  I finished out Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and hit level cap on my Operative in Borderlands 3.

I picked up the Digital Deluxe of Starlink this weekend and spent some time messing with it.  So far, it seems like a pretty cool space ship shooty game.

Switch:

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX -- 1083 minutes

Starlink: Battle for Atlas -- 970 minutes

XBox One:

Borderlands 3 -- 679 minutes

• Like 2

XB1

Borderlands 2 (161 min)

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (718 min)

Oculus Quest

Beat Saber (481 min)

Vader Immortal (44 min)

Not quite done SotTR yet. Caught up on all the stuff I missed before the final map, now to finish the game. Also finally got back to continuing my co-op game of BL2 with my brother.

More Beat Saber, blah, blah. Also got to the 2nd part of Vader Immortal, pretty immersive, but the gameplay is a bit lacking. Force throwing is not very reactive and fighting with the lightsaber isn't very saber-like as you kind of need to stab with it to hit the fast moving targets.

• Like 2

It was a pretty exciting week hardware wise around here this past week, because the Mega SG and it's partner in crime the Mega SD commeth! :D 

bZLKVkK.jpg

Ineligible

Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar (Sega Genesis) - 10 minutes

Mortal Kombat (Sega Genesis) - 15 minutes

Samurai Shodown (Sega Genesis) - 18 minutes

Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Genesis) - 15 minutes

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Genesis) - 207 minutes

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (Sega Genesis) - 10 minutes

Splatterhouse 2 (Sega Genesis) - 5 minutes

Star Fox (Super Nintendo) - 51 minutes

Virtua Racing (Sega Genesis) - 10 minutes

Nintendo Switch

Amnesia: The Dark Descent (Played on Amnesia Collection) - 465 minutes

Amnesia: Justine (Played on Amnesia Collection) - 35 minutes 

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 615 minutes

1,456 minutes (24 hours 16 minutes) [1,115 minutes eligible]

Nintendo Switch: 1,115 minutes

Sega Genesis: 290 minutes

Super Nintendo: 51 minutes

I tried out a dozen or so different games on the Mega SG for a few minutes here and there, but ended up settling on doing a playthrough of my old favorite Sonic 2 with the misses to really see what it could do. 

Outside of the world's fanciest Sega Genesis / Mega Drive I also spent some time this week making progress in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and at this point in the game I could just go fight Gannon and be done with it if I wanted but there's still a few little side questy things I'd like to do first. The only other game I played this past week was Amnesia: The Dark Descent on the Switch, since I've been wanting to play Amnesia for the better part of a decade since it first came out on PC and I noticed the Amnesia Collection was on sale for $11.99 USD on the Switch eShop this past week so I picked it up.

I'm not sure if you would prefer to log the 3 games in the Amnesia Collection individually or just lump them together as "Amnesia Collection" @carlsson, since they were never released individually on the Switch and only came out as a bundle, but I've listed the two I played individually for now in case you want to split them up. :)

• Like 3