IGNORED

What have you ACTUALLY played tracker - Modern Edition (2020)

carlsson

Week  29

Top games

1. Two Point Hospital (Xbox One) - 2041 min.
2. Call of Duty Modern Warfare (Xbox One) - 1803 min. (#1)
3. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch) - 535 min. (#4)
4. Minecraft Dungeons (Xbox One) - 485 min.
5. Beat Saber (Oculus Quest) - 407 min. (#5)
6. Minecraft (Vita) - 332 min.
7. Doom 3 (Switch) - 295 min.
8. Minecraft [Digital version] (Xbox One) - 267 min.
9. Minecraft: Xbox One Edition [Physical version] (Xbox One) - 232 min.
10. Last of Us Part II, The (PS4) - 204 min. (#3)

Top systems

1. Xbox One - 5188 min. (#1)
2. Switch - 830 min. (#4)
3. Oculus Quest - 476 min. (#6)
4. Vita - 377 min.
5. PS4 - 328 min. (#2)
6. iOS - 100 min. (#9)
7. Xbox 360 - 85 min. (#8)
8. Wii U - 47 min. (#7)

Total 7431 minutes and 24 different games on 8 different systems.

From "nowhere" arrives the Two Point Hospital and swoops the first place, right ahead of Call of Duty Modern Warfare. Then there is a large gap down to Animal Crossing followed by a selection of games including no less than four versions of Minecraft, which looks something like the Pac-Man of modern systems. Speaking of modern systems, the Xbox One of course is dominant this week with almost 70% of the total amount of gaming.

• Like 4

PC Windows:
Mahjong Titans - 286 min.

I've been playing those various Mahjong, Spider Solitaire, Freecell, Purble Place, Emacs Bubbles etc every now and then for the last couple of weeks/months without logging times so I haven't bothered, but this week I roughly kept count for how long I've played so I have a number to report at least. It is much easier with retro games, as I play those on purpose and start my timers for each game, but with modern casual gaming I rarely think about keeping track.

• Like 1

PS2 Tomb Raider Anniversary.  14 hours.  I think I spent 5 hours on just one stage, the one with that infuriating rope grapple jump in the Damocles sword room, which itself took  1 or 2 hours.  Otherwise I am enjoying the game. It took me a while to understand how to beat the Centaurs at the end of Saint Francis Folly in this version but once I got it, it wasn't hard.   I'm in Egypt now shooting Panthers and mummies. 

• Like 3

I've finally decided to pay attention to my times starting last week, although not playing old games that don't have timers for save files helps. Today's Monday in my time zone, so I might as well start now. Lots of Compile Heart last week.

PS2

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne: 50 minutes

Estimate. I didn't play this game for fun, but rather to use it to test my PS3's fan speeds before and after cleaning it, but I suppose I should count it.

DS

Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey: 130 minutes (and 57 seconds)

I absolutely hate this game's music. I also hate this game's battle system. I've had this game since like 2013 and never made it past the first 4~5 hours because I hate it, but it is a real Shin Megami Tensei game, so I'm sure there is some interesting story about the war between Law and Chaos in here somewhere.

PS4

Kangokutou Mary Skelter 2: 780 minutes

Japanese version. Not sure how I should track this one since I was technically playing the remake of the first game that you unlock in the second game after finishing it, but I suppose you still launch 1 through 2, I'll count it as 2 instead of 1. Time is an estimate; I wasn't tracking specifically, but on Monday my time on the remake save file was about 40 hours and after finishing it on Wednesday, my time is around 53 hours, so I'll just say I played for 13 hours and leave it at that to keep it simple. I had an interesting glitch that I recorded on Monday where an invincible boss randomly spawned as I was crossing a bottomless pit, causing me to lock in place over the pit, fall, take damage, respawn over the pit, fall again, and game over, loosing at least 3 hours of progress to a glitch. What the hell, Compile Heart.

Switch

Mary Skelter 2: 209 minutes

US English Switch version. After finishing the PS4 version, I played the US Switch version for a little bit just to marvel at its 60 FPS frame rate, which the PS4 version, which struggles to hit 25 FPS, lacks. It's not exactly a straight upgrade, though; Switch version is considerably more blurry, has way worse textures, lacks the post-processing effects that the PS4 version has, and likes to crash, unlike the PS4 version. I wish I'd been paying attention to my times for this game after putting 235 hours into the US Switch version and about 120 into the PS4 version, but too late now. I might get the Japanese Switch version and play it in Japanese again, but maybe not. As a totally random aside, after playing the remake of 1 for 53 hours and then going back to 2, holy crap the first regular battle music in 2 is absolutely amazing.

PC

Death end re;Quest: 600 minutes

Estimate. Horribly optimized for PC. I should be able to absolutely destroy this game and my GPU and CPU both run at less than 50%, but it frequently slows down in battle. I literally only bought this game because it was written by Kedwin, who of course created and wrote Corpse Party. Not sure how the hell he got involved with Compile Heart, though. The RPG part is boring and tedious and the real-life parts, which are far less frequent, are way better and actually seem like something Kedwin would create. It's very nice to hear Sugita's voice in this game. I wonder if Compile Heart cast him themselves, but he's good friends with Kedwin, so I suppose it's possible that Kedwin asked for him or whatever.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 2

It was a pretty small week for gaming for me this past week, mostly on account of spending 5 days of the week doing a rather huge housecleaning and furniture rearranging project so I didn't have a whole lotta time for gaming. Still, I managed to get in a bit here and there doing short check ins in Animal Crossing, continuing my yearly game of Doom 3, and playing some Enduro for the Atari 2600 high score club. I did set a new personal best high score of 1,284.5 in Enduro this week though, which was pretty awesome! :)

Ineligible

Enduro (Atari 2600) - 183 minutes

Nintendo Switch

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 135 minutes

Doom 3 - 595 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

913 mintes (15 hours 13 minutes) [730 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 730 minutes

Atari 2600: 183 minutes

• Like 2

XB1

Life Is Strange: Before the Storm (510 min)

Two Point Hospital (621 min)

Oculus Quest

Beat Saber (343 min)

BoxVR (88 min)

2PH is pretty cool, but I think I've played enough. I may come back to it, but each new level it gets old setting up the same starting rooms to get things going.

I played the original Life Is Strange back in the summer of 2013 and really liked it, so I picked up Before the Storm a couple years ago, and then never played it, so I decided to fix that. Max's time rewind gimmick from the first game is replaced in this one by Chloe's big mouth, lol. It's a mini game where you have insult, distract, confuse, or otherwise verbally one up someone by picking the correct response to what they say to you. That's pretty much it for "game" in this game, but the story is top notch, apparently written by Ashley Birch, VA for Chloe (and a million other video game characters).

Blew through it over the weekend, it's not that long, but I think I'll revisit the original this week. Lots of callbacks in the prequel, and I'm sure there's a lot I didn't pick up having forgotten a lot of the original game.

• Like 2

Week 30

Top games

1. Call of Duty Modern Warfare (Xbox One) - 1470 min. (#2)
2. Minecraft: Xbox One Edition [Physical version] (Xbox One) - 1215 min. (#9)
3. Tomb Raider Anniversary (PS2) - 840 min.
4. Kangokutou Mary Skelter 2 (Mary Skelter: Nightmares) (PS4) - 780 min.
5. Two Point Hospital (Xbox One) - 639 min. (#1)
6. Death end re;Quest (PC) - 600 min.
7. Doom 3 (Switch) - 595 min. (#7)
8. Life is Strange: Before the Storm (Xbox One) - 510 min.
9. Beat Saber (Oculus Quest) - 343 min. (#5)
10. Mahjong Titans (PC) - 286 min.

Top systems

1. Xbox One - 3898 min. (#1)
2. PC - 1010 min.
3. Switch - 939 min. (#2)
4. PS2 - 890 min.
5. PS4 - 780 min. (#5)
6. Oculus Quest - 431 min. (#3)
7. Vita - 139 min. (#4)
8. DS - 131 min.
9. iOS - 68 min. (#6)
10. Xbox 360 - 40 min. (#7)

Total 8326 minutes and 21 different games on 10 different systems.

Two games for the Xbox One are battling for first place, which is awarded to Call of Duty Modern Warfare. Both these two games would on their own win the systems category, and together with the other Xbox One games the system dominates the list.

Overall the tracker exceeds 250,000 minutes for this year and 775,000 minutes since the beginning, ordered over a total of 866 titles.

Welcome to all new and recurring participants, and in case anyone reads this but haven't yet posted, feel free to join any time!

• Like 4

On 7/21/2020 at 12:22 PM, carlsson said:

Week  29

Top games

1. Two Point Hospital (Xbox One) - 2041 min.
2. Call of Duty Modern Warfare (Xbox One) - 1803 min. (#1)
3. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch) - 535 min. (#4)
4. Minecraft Dungeons (Xbox One) - 485 min.
5. Beat Saber (Oculus Quest) - 407 min. (#5)
6. Minecraft (Vita) - 332 min.
7. Doom 3 (Switch) - 295 min.
8. Minecraft [Digital version] (Xbox One) - 267 min.
9. Minecraft: Xbox One Edition [Physical version] (Xbox One) - 232 min.
10. Last of Us Part II, The (PS4) - 204 min. (#3)

BTW, THIS is usually referred to as "Bedrock" edition

• Like 2

So, looks like BoxVR is getting a big update tomorrow that comes with a name change: FitXR. Not sure I've ever seen that before, same game, new name. How we going to work with that, just update the name in the database, I guess?

Edited by Agamon

5 hours ago, carlsson said:

I suppose the one you have in physical form is the Legacy Console Edition? I understand there also is the Java Edition etc.

The one I played exclusively this week is the Xbox One Edition.  There is also an Xbox 360 edition, a Nintendo Switch Edition, and a Playstation 4 edition.  I believe the idea was to unify all the console editions into one under the Bedrock edition back in 2017.  Yabba Dabba Doo

Some info: https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Xbox_One_Edition

Edit - here's an undated article about the change to Bedrock.  Looks like I'm not the only one who prefers the console specific edition.  This is probably from 2017.  You have to turn off your adblocker to read it :(
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/minecraft-players-are-choosing-the-xbox-one-edition-over-the-better-together-version#:~:text=If you go to the Microsoft Store page,this version is literally a port from PC.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Agamon said:

So, looks like BoxVR is getting a big update tomorrow that comes with a name change: FitXR. Not sure I've ever seen that before, same game, new name. How we going to work with that, just update the name in the database, I guess?

I suppose if BoxVR no longer is possible to obtain, it is just a matter of renaming the game in the Excel sheet. If the new game would be a fork but the old version still live on for people who like to play it instead, we'd generate a new entry.

7 minutes ago, carlsson said:

I suppose if BoxVR no longer is possible to obtain, it is just a matter of renaming the game in the Excel sheet. If the new game would be a fork but the old version still live on for people who like to play it instead, we'd generate a new entry.

The thing is BoxVR = FitXR, it's a rename, not a different game.

The company's name is FitXR, so I guess they're just changing it to that.

Edited by Agamon
  • Like 1

It's Monday here, so here are my times for last week. I didn't play any games at all on Monday or Tuesday for any system, old or new, for some reason. I didn't get much done aside from Death end re;Quest on modern side this time.

Switch
Kangokutou Mary Skelter Finale - 15

This game isn't even released yet! Does it count? I took a day off of work to play this for 15 minutes at an event in Akiba on Saturday, which is why I spent some time in the arcade waiting for my turn, as reflected over in the pre-2000 tracker. This game seems to basically be more of the same but also totally different, which is great. The music is beautiful, as always, but I do have some general complaints about how the game seems to be balanced (seemingly not very well, in this case). Since the game doesn't even get released until October, maybe things will change. Looking forward to playing it for more than 15 minutes when it gets released.

PC
Death end re;Quest - 982

Finally finished with this 50% boring 50% great game after playing it basically non-stop on Wednesday along with a bunch of time on Thursday and Friday, putting me directly in front of the (very easy) last boss, which I saved for Sunday. I enjoyed Kedwin's writing, as usual, but the gameplay and the story in the RPG part of the game is super boring. The real-life parts are great, though, and as you get further into the game, it's quite clearly written by Kedwin, but still not quite as good as what he's done in the past. Will probably never play it again, but I'll be getting the sequel maybe here in a few weeks after the PC version is released.

StarCraft II - 154

Easy to track times for this game since the game records every game you play and displays the game times to the second in the menu, so no effort required aside from some basic addition!

DS
Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey - 60

Still a boring game (so far) with bad music. If you want to play Shin Megami Tensei, play Shin Megami Tensei III or IV instead since those are literally better in every way possible. IV is also my choice for best game of the past decade, as well.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

This game isn't even released yet! Does it count?

Usually we count WIPs and own games as long as they're in a playable state so you don't really spend time debugging it, rather play testing it in a somewhat playable state. If it was displayed at a public event, I'm sure it has gone past WIP and alpha testing, though of course they might tweak some details before it launches, so I'll count it in the tracker. We also count demo versions of games, sometimes separately from the full version and sometimes the two are combined depending on how early the demo is compared to the released game.

13 hours ago, carlsson said:

Usually we count WIPs and own games as long as they're in a playable state so you don't really spend time debugging it, rather play testing it in a somewhat playable state. If it was displayed at a public event, I'm sure it has gone past WIP and alpha testing, though of course they might tweak some details before it launches, so I'll count it in the tracker. We also count demo versions of games, sometimes separately from the full version and sometimes the two are combined depending on how early the demo is compared to the released game.

Alright, thanks again, as always. This also lets me know what to do about Star Citizen in case I feel like playing it.

A slightly smaller than usual week around here in terms of play time, but with some new and very cool games played! Outside of all the racing fun in the Atari 2600 High Score Club, the big highlight of the week for me was discovering the relatively new homebrew/hack Venture Reloaded. This absolutely amazing update to the classic Venture for the Atari 2600 adds in the 3rd level along with a huge amount of graphical updates, level transitions, a treasure collection screen, and music for every room to make it just as good (if not a little better) than the ColecoVision version. When I was growing up, Venture on my older brother's ColecoVision was my favorite game, but even as an adult I've never owned a ColecoVision (just an Atari 2600 for me) so it's just incredibly wonderful to finally have a version of Venture on the 2600 that's every bit as good as the ColecoVision port I that I loved as a kid. :)

For the misses gaming time this past week, her birthday was on Sunday and one of the things I got her this year was Untitled Goose Game for the Switch. She's been really enjoying it, but my goodness... I had no idea she could be such a hilariously terrible person. This game really brings out the best of the worst in people :lol:

Eea-mRRWAAMqij1.thumb.jpeg.e9570698149151e577a7a91ac3f8d686.jpeg

Ineligible

Dragster (Atari 2600) - 38 minutes

Enduro (Atari 2600) - 41 minutes

New Pac-Man (8k Version, Atari 2600) - 27 minutes

Pole Position (Atari 2600) - 139 minutes

Super Castlevania IV (Super Nintendo, played on Castlevania Anniversary Collection for Nintendo Switch) - 10 minutes

Venture Reloaded (Atari 2600) - 112 minutes

Nintendo Switch

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 145 minutes

Doom 3 - 355 minutes

Untitled Goose Game - 85 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

952 minutes (15 hours 52 minutes) [585 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 585 minutes

Atari 2600: 357 minutes

Super Nintendo: 10 minutes

• Like 2