IGNORED

What have you ACTUALLY played tracker - Modern Edition (2020)

carlsson

I got a bit (not much) of Modern time in during my travels last week- most of it came back in spades this past weekend.  :)

Switch:

Lumines: Remastered -- 121 minutes

Momodora: Reverie under the Moonlight -- 451 minutes

Torchlight 2 -- 1489 minutes

Lumines: Remastered is the remake of the PSP game that was released on several other console platforms- it's a puzzle game where you are matching squares that clear as a line passes over the playfield.  It's heavily rhythm-focused, but a neat game to zone out to.  I actually did have it on the PSP, which in retrospect I realllly wish I had held onto.

Momodora turned out to be a really welcome surprise!  It's a metroidvania-style (i still haven't come to terms with that word, lol) platformer that has neat visuals/sound and not terribly punishing on the 'Casual' difficulty setting.  It took about 7 1/2 hours for me to explore the map and start on a new playthrough.  There's the usual other difficulty settings for folks that want more challenge but that really wasn't I was looking for.  :)

Torchlight 2 is pretty much the same as one would expect from the past few weeks.  I rolled an Embermage and am at the final boss, then rolled an Outlander to level through with a new build since I can't apparently help myself, lol.  I've put over 100 hours in to the Switch version and really only noticed a couple of weird clipping bugs on the latest playthrough.  It really scratches my ARPG itch since I'm a little bored in Diablo 3.

XBox One:

Borderlands 3 -- 276 minutes

I sunk a little over 4 hours into Borderlands 3 yesterday to mix it up from playing Switch.  I do wish that the button configuration for A and B weren't reversed from the XBox controller to the Switch controller, however, because it always makes it hard for me when I switch systems.

I finished out the Moxxi's Heist DLC on True Vault Hunter Mode with my Operative, though the final boss gave me a little bit of trouble.  Since they patched it, I gave the Maliwan raid a try solo, but I'm not quite there gear-wise I don't think (that or I need to use one of my other alts for it).

• Like 4

Another good week for gaming around here this past week! I mostly played Final Doom on the Switch while the misses continued working on the frustratingly difficult Tomb Raider III for the PlayStation (mostly difficult on account of the lack of save points) but I also played a bit of Sega this week too. I got a copy of Shadow Squadron for the 32X in the mail that, while no Star Fox, is still pretty darn cool and I finally beat Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure after having played it off and on since I was problably 8 years old. Awesome! :D

ehEskXL.jpg

Nintendo Switch

Final Doom - 380 minutes

Ineligble

Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure (Sega Genesis) - 199 minutes

Shadow Squadron (Sega 32X) - 144 minutes

Tomb Raider III (Sony PlayStation) - 613 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,336 minutes (22 hours 16 minutes) [380 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Sony PlayStation: 613 minutes

Nintendo Switch: 380 minutes

Sega Genesis: 199 minutes

Sega 32X: 144 minutes

• Like 4

6 hours ago, digdugnate said:

I see you put in some time with TPA :)  Have you played Pinball FX3, as well?  How did you think the two physics engines compared with each other?

Yeah, I have hundreds of hours in TPA especially if you count the other collections that Farsight has put out on various platforms.  Tons of time on Pin FX2 as well.  I've played less of PFX3, Zaccaria, and Stern Pinball arcade, but still double digit hours for sure.

Honestly, when people talk about the "physics" in those games, I tend to tune out.  They aren't real pinball, and I can tell that immediately in every version.  As you know, we have access to lots of pinball in DFW, and I've been able to compare some real games vs their virtual versions.  In some ways, I appreciate the more "video-gameness" in all of them and don't consider hyper realism to be a desirable goal.  For instance, I like that nudging works more predictably in video game pinball.  However, there are some things that jump out in the video game that wouldn't work that way in the real world.

I just consider all of those games a bonus that lets me discover pinball machines that I would otherwise never have a chance of playing.  Or - in the case of Pin FX2/3 inventing imaginary tables that will never exist in real life.  I like them all.  I even go back and play the old Microsoft Pinball arcade every once in a while.  It has a nice version of Spirit of '76 and Haunted House that I don't own in other collections.  I also tend to seek out the pinball games on the classic consoles and computers that I collect for the same reason.  I like it all!

• Like 1

Switch

Fire Emblem: Three Houses (529 min)

XB1

The Talos Principle (655 min)

Oculus Quest

Beat Saber (740 min)

Vader Immortal (110 min)

Okay, so I finished my first playthrough of FE:TH, definitely going to revisit it again with a different house.

Went back to Talos Principle and the puzzles are getting a lot tougher. Not sure if I'm going to force myself to finish this one like I did the Witness last year. I love puzzle games, but when they start getting frustrating, I tend to set them aside.

So, like I mentioned last week, I got my Quest and I'm impressed. Beat Saber is addictive, it'll probably be on my list in some capacity for the foreseeable future. Vader Immortal is cool, I've played the first of three parts. The story mode is short, but immersive, and the Training Mode, which I first thought was just a tutorial, is a game in it's own right with 20 progressively difficult levels (I've only gotten to 9 so far).  While I'm not too interested in shooter/action-y VR games, I'll certainly be getting into more rhythm, fitness, adventure, and puzzle games.

• Like 4

Week 02

Top games

1. Torchlight 2 (Switch) - 1489 min. (#1)
2. Mahjong Titans (PC) - 1200 min. (-)
3. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Xbox One) - 1182 min. (#3)
4. Beat Saber (Oculus Quest) - 740 min. (-)
5. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Xbox One) - 712 min. (#4)
6. Talos Principle, The (Xbox One) - 655 min. (-)
7. Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch) - 529 min. (#2)
8. Momodora: Reverie under the Moonlight (Switch) - 451 min. (-)
9. Overcooked II (Xbox One) - 394 min. (-)
10. Final Doom (Switch) - 380 min. (#9)

Top systems

1. Xbox One - 3386 min. (#2)
2. Switch - 2970 min. (#1)
3. PC - 1278 min. (#7)
4. Oculus Quest - 850 min. (-)
5. iOS - 277 min. (#6)

Total 8761 minutes and 17 different games on 5 different systems.

Torchlight 2 retains the first place, ahead of Chinese tile flipping in Mahjong and the pirate influenced Black Flag. We also welcome a new system to the tracker this week as the Oculus Quest enters, though no system can match the two big elephants Xbox One and Switch this week.

• Like 6

Sick last week, so my times are less probably than usual.  Not sure about Thurs-Sat since I was delirious. ?

I can tell you I played Torchlight 2 during the time, though, so there's that, lol.  The one I *do* know is for Octopath Traveler!

Switch:

Octopath Traveler - 605 minutes

I started Octopath for like the sixth time last week.  I keep starting the game, playing, then setting down, then forgetting where I was.  I will finish it!

• Like 4

It was a pretty laid back and relaxing week for gaming around here this past week, with some noteworthy accomplishments to mention! After playing Final Doom on the Switch for the last couple weeks I finished the TNT Evilution episode this week, so now I've just got The Plutonia Experiment to tackle, but I decided to take some time off from Doom to play a little Sega. First I checked out Jurassic Park on the Sega CD, which plays a lot like Myst except you get to shoot dinosaurs. :lol: It's a neat game, though like may point and click adventure games some of the puzzles are way too cryptic for their own good. I never ended up finishing the game, I kinda burnt out on the obtuse puzzles, but I may get back to it at some point. 

What I did finish this week was the Sega Genesis version of Jurassic Park, which was especially cool since it's a game I've played off and on since I was 7 years old and was one of my childhood favorite video games! It's not a particularly good action platformer game, the controls are pretty flakey, the level design can be brutally difficult, and there's some big slowdown here and there; but it's a game a played a lot growing up a so I still like it. You can play as either a velociraptor or Alan Grant, and while I had beaten it with the raptor before I hd never beaten it with Grant until this past week; so another childhood nemesis defeated! :D

The only other game played around here this past week was Tomb Raider III on the PlayStation, which the misses is just about halfway through at this point I think. That's all the news that's fit to print for this week! Until next week, and as always, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours. 

Ineligible

Jurassic Park (Sega CD) - 558 minutes

Jurassic Park (Sega Genesis) - 229 minutes

Tomb Raider III (Sony PlayStation) - 297 minutes

Nintendo Switch

Final Doom - 275 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,359 minutes (22 hours 39 minutes) [275 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Sega CD: 558 minutes

Sony PlayStation: 297 minutes

Nintendo Switch: 275 minutes

Sega Genesis: 229 minutes

• Like 5

XB1

Children of Morta (341 min)

Oculus Quest

Beat Saber (546 min)

Still having fun with Beat Saber, playing 1-1.5 hours a day, it's a pretty decent workout. My FitBit has never been this happy with me in month of January, lol.

Children of Morta is a pretty cool indie game, kind of a Diablo-style RPG roguelike.  It's tough getting past the first few bosses, but I understand that the game moves along a lot quicker as the characters get more powerful.

• Like 4

Week 04 (and yes, last week was 03, not 02 for the second time in a row)

Top games

1. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Xbox One) - 778 min. (#5)
2. Octopath Traveller (Switch) - 605 min. (-)
3. Beat Saber (Oculus Quest) - 546 min. (#4)
4. Overcooked II (Xbox One) - 372 min. (#9)
5. Microsoft Solitaire Collection (iOS) - 351 min. (-)
6. Children of Morta (Xbox One) - 341 min. (-)
7. Mahjong Titans (PC) - 299 min. (#2)
8. Final Doom (Switch) - 275 min. (#10)
9. Star Wars: Fallen Order (PS4) - 180 min. (-)
10. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Xbox One) - 157 min. (#3)

Top systems

1. Xbox One - 1831 min. (#1)
2. Switch - 880 min. (#2)
3. Oculus Quest - 546 min. (#4)
4. iOS - 351 min. (#5)
5. PC - 299 min. (#3)
6. PS4 - 180 min. (-)

Total 4087 minutes and 14 different games on 6 different systems.

While the total is lower than usual, and Torchlight 2 is missing this week, the following games #2 - #5 plus #9 and #10 from last week remain on the top list. Our old hero PUBG takes the title ahead of Octopath Traveller. Systems wise were are up by one from last week and the Xbox One dominates with 45% of the gameplay.

In case anyone was late to post, feel free to add your minutes for next week!

• Like 5

Here are my times for this past week (January 27th through February 2th) on modern systems...

Browser based:

Funny Pizza - 120 min.

This week, on modern systems I rediscovered a game I played back in 2011 if I remember right, Funny Pizza, where you get to open your own pizzeria, buy recipes and make pizzas. This is a classic browser game in that not the whole game runs in one canvas embedded in a page which always stay the same, but you basically press buttons to submit your moves and get presented with different HTML pages depending on what you do in the game. It's actually much like we build our web apps at work. I don't know if this style of game is actually considered a different "system" from games which run on Javascript or other languages embedded in a HTML page.

Sadly, the 120 minutes don't include today's times because I didn't get to tally them up yet... I hope I'll make it tomorrow. Today's times aren't complete anyway since, like a Tamagotchi, there are certain things that can happen any time in the game so that you are supposed to return to it and do something about it. You might say it runs in real time, so some more minutes may be added even after I post this.

• Like 5

Oculus Quest

Beat Saber (462 min)

PC

Cities: Skylines (1250 min)

XB1

Children of Morta (85 min)

Still playing Beat Saber every day for at least an hour. Beat the campaign after getting stuck on a level for a while.

Played a couple runs of CoM earlier in the week before getting a hankerin' to build a city after reading a blog about Will Wright and the creation of SimCity, so I loaded up Cities: Skylines again. I've always been frustrated by traffic problems with this game, so I watched a couple tip videos and things are running relatively smoothly at 25k people.

Edited by Agamon
  • Like 4

The lion's share of my Modern gaming was played on the Switch with Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch this week.  Little bit of Octopath, but from Friday on it was Ni No Kuni.  :)  I have been grinding through Torchlight II at bedtime nightly to wind down.

Switch:

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch -- 1051 minutes

Octopath Traveler --  587 minutes

Torchlight II -- 846 minutes

• Like 4