IGNORED

Atari Flashback X Deluxe Firmware Updates

The programming language APL is distinctive in being symbolic rather than lexical: its primitives are denoted by symbols, not words. These symbols were originally devised as a mathematical notation to describe algorithms.[1] APL programmers often assign informal names when discussing functions and operators (for example, product for ×/) but the core functions and operators provided by the language are denoted by non-textual symbols.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2020 at 5:15 AM, Draxxon said:

Atari Flashback X Deluxe: Special Edition (MODEL NO: AR3060S)
V.0.1.5 official firmware update (released on Feb 12, 2020)

## Highlights
-Fixed audio delay issues
-Enabled Firmware update from external USB drive
-Enabled add-ons from external USB drive
-Added APL function

## Miscellaneous
-Updated UI

https://firmwareupdate.atgames.n

Just upgraded and it really looks like the lag is a little lower.

I wonder what those add-ons from external USB drive means. Maybe finally the game boxarts and screenshots?

• 2 months later...

So.... I done did bricked by Flashback X, kinda sorta. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but I tried to update it to add USB support. I followed the steps here, https://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2019/10/21/atari-flashback-x-2019-upgrade-to-support-external-usb-drives/ and flashed it via the Android flasher thing. Again, I'm not sure exactly what happened, but I don't actually have a Y cable yet, I just wanted to flash it while I had the thing unscrewed. I may have possibly also flashed the deluxe firmware from  https://firmwareupdate.atgames.net/registration to see if the 10 bonus games would magically show up. They did, kinda, but had no box art and weren't playable. Then I discovered that NONE of my games were playable anymore. I went back and flashed the non deluxe firmware and tried the USB firmware again. My menus are back to normal, but none of the games run. Selecting a game will either result in black screen that only cutting the power will "fix" or it does nothing at all. I emailed AT Games and they simply linked me to this forum and https://firmwareupdate.atgames.net/registration as well as instructions for a unit that takes SD cards, which of course the X mini does not. Anyone have a backup of the ENTIRE firmware, including the roms? Because I think I erased the roms. 

Also, I'm guessing it's still not possible to rip Frogger and Space Invaders and play them on anything else, like a Raspberry Pi?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 5 months later...

So I bought the AR3060S. It came with fw ver 0.1.7.  On atgames the version for this model is 0.1.5.  I tried to see if games showed up since this at first appearance would be a newer firmware?  However, no luck.  I also can seem to get the RK Dev tool to recognize it when rebooting in recover mode.  Couple of other interesting things are the reset but on mine was relocated to the underside of the board and accessible through a reset hole on the bottom.  I am able to get to recovery mode ... with HDMI connected I get a menu with Reboot, reboot to bootloader, apply update from adb, apply update from SD card, factor reset, etc.

Not sure what is going on here but thought I would check if upgrading to 0.1.5 makes sense before I blow away 0.1.7?  Also, is there some trick to flashing this revision?

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Heatvent said:

Not sure what is going on here but thought I would check if upgrading to 0.1.5 makes sense before I blow away 0.1.7? 

Maybe this is a more recent Atari Flashback X Deluxe Special Edition with firmware not yet released on their website? I wouldn't downgrade the software without contacting their support.

So I goofed on may have downgraded thinking this was just a bad numbering scheme.  I actually bought two of these and I initially tried using the USB with 0.1.7 but I think it was the USB stick on why it didn't work.  I up/downgraded to 0.1.5 and didn't work either so I ended up formatting a few sticks and got one to work.  I went back to the other flashback which still has 0.1.7 and it worked on that one too.  

Is there any way to download the firmware from the flashback so I can flash back to the one I up/down graded?  I sent a request into At Games to update their website so hopefully at some point 0.1.7 will be available if that doesn't work. Not sure what the differences are but seems like the same interface and games so it must be behind the scenes bug fixes.  Probably for performance / lag improvement if I had to guess looking at some of the complaints.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Draxxon said:

there is an image file in the rom folder that the built in frogger needs to work.
Maybe you renamed it or deleted it? here it is...

Frogger.bmp 76.05 kB · 1 download

So that is what that bmp is for.  

I try to stay nastolgic when it comes to my classic mini consoles and just use the original retail versions of games that go to that system.

I tried numerous froggers and none of them worked until I came across the Frogger2600.a26 rom in some pack.

It wasn't the original version I wanted, So I found the frogger rom that I wanted to use and added the 2600 to the filename and it worked!

I just find it a little neat and interesting trick.