IGNORED

Considering a 5200 system

Wayne2072

@Wayne2072

If you go for 5200 system, don’t limit yourself to only the 69 original releases.

Make sure you get the ports from Atari 400/800/XE(GS), and good homebrews.

Check out AtariAge store and 

Good Deal Games

Get (at least)

- Pac Man Jr.

- Super Pac Man

- Encounter

- Blaster

- Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr.

(and others).

Edited by Giles N

• 1 month later...

I owned an Atari 5200 and I gotta say it was a good system.  If you are wanting to get into it from a collecting aspect, it is great and really not terribly difficult to get a (near) full set.  That being said, you would probably be better off getting an Atari 8-bit computer overall, such as an 800 or 800 XL.  They have a lot more games and you will avoid the whole controller issue that the 5200 comes with.  Either way, best of luck!

• 11 months later...
On 1/9/2020 at 1:49 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

@Cafeman It sounds like you need your 5200 and your controllers re-calibrated to each other. It was because of something similar on mine that I eventually ended up buying the controller loop back board along with the diagnostic cart to test and correct for this. You have to do them all together because it doesn't do any good to adjust the pokey to factory values if the pots in the controllers are also slightly off as well.

I do have the issues you mentioned with Gyruss and Bounty Bob so I would like to attempt to calibrate my 5200 and controllers. I just purchased an Atarimax and have the diagnostic cart ROMs copied over to it.

Are there detailed instructions on how to use these diagnostics tools to calibrate everything together? Also, where does one obtain the loop back board that you mentioned?

Thank you!

1 minute ago, bikeguychicago said:

I do have the issues you mentioned with Gyruss and Bounty Bob so I would like to attempt to calibrate my 5200 and controllers. I just purchased an Atarimax and have the diagnostic cart ROMs copied over to it.

Are there detailed instructions on how to use these diagnostics tools to calibrate everything together? Also, where does one obtain the loop back board that you mentioned?

Thank you!

I got my loopback board from Best Electronics several years ago. At the time they only had the 4 port version available but if you remove the top cover on the 2 port units, the 4 port loopback can still be used without issue. 

The instructions for calibration are in the 5200 service manuals. What I basically have found is that with the loopback board plugged in, I go into the calibration portion of the controller test where it shows the values in real time and then adjust the pokey until the values read within the service manual +/- a few. Even calibrated to the service manual specs, I've still found that the controller pots themselves might need to be adjusted before all games work properly. If I can get Bounty Bob to move left and right and up and down without too much issue, then I can pretty sure that the controller and system are calibrated correctly to each other. 

But that is another important thing to note here. When you adjust the console to factory, that doesn't mean that every controller themselves will just work and most of them have to be adjusted separately by forcing the trimmer arms on the pots beyond where they are pressed onto the shafts a smidgen to have them match up to the expected readings.

But yes, look to the service manuals on how to do this. There are also eyeball methods other use like adjusting the trimmer until the crosshair in missile command is centered as an example.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

But yes, look to the service manuals on how to do this. There are also eyeball methods other use like adjusting the trimmer until the crosshair in missile command is centered as an example.

I found the service manual online at lunch and looked up the Pokey Adjust. It said that the Horizontal for port 1 should be 112 + or - 1. Mine is at 92 :) . I guess I know where I'm going to start when I look at it later :)

I got interested in the 5200 just in the last few years and wound up buying an av modded system from a user here.  The machine itself works great - I'd suggest a two port over a four port as well so you have an easier time hooking it up.  Also, while there are some expensive 5200 games, much of the library is very affordable for loose carts, in case you're interested in collecting carts over getting a flash cartridge.

The huge downside to the 5200 is the analogue controller. Aside from the fact that it can get a little flakey or break over time, imo many of the games are just not designed for analogue controls, so I feel like using the analogue controller is a hindrance to being good at the game.  I can play something like megamania or space invaders on a digital d-pad or my keyboard on an emulator and blast through much of it like a pro - its frustrating then, to play it with the actual 5200 controller and play much worse due to the less precise movement of the analogue joystick with these games that ordinarily use digital input on other systems.

I think there are some expensive alternate controllers and controller converters you can get for the 5200 (a Jaguar controller adapter sounds perfect, not sure if anyone makes one commercially though), but maybe the best alternative, as someone mentioned, is to get an atari 8 bit computer (or the 8 bit console), which would let you more easily use digital controls for many of the same games on the 5200....  Let's face it though, this is more about owning a giant piece of plastic that looks like it came out of 1970s star wars rather than playing the games, right ;)  in that case, you're going to want the 5200 over the 8 bit systems or emulating things on your pc.

5200's one you just gotta' want.  I grew up with one, always loved it.  Always will.  Obviously, the 8-bits have all kinds of advantages on it other than the price of getting a machine and a good collection of games, and if I had to choose between them, I'd stick with my 800s even though I didn't get into them until about 10 years ago.

Colecovision would be its real main competitor, and had/has many advantages over the 5200 in terms of games, but it has many hardware issues of its own, the games that really give it the edge are, sadly, the rarer ones.  Plus, it's just an ugly system compared to the 5200.  The sounds are more grating, the colors are harsh, the scrolling is brutal (except on Atarisoft games, oddly), the stock font is ugly... 

As for the 5200 hardware, I never had a problem with the original 2-port I got handed down.  When I lost that and got a new one years back, I've had no real issues that prevented me from enjoying the games.  People bitch and moan about those controllers constantly, and I never understood it.  Cut yourself some tin foil squares and get some Fun-Tac.  Takes maybe an hour to do two controllers.  I had this last me for decades without having to open the controllers back up.  There are a couple of pots you may have to open the console to adjust from time to time, but it doesn't take that long.  I don't even bother with a Masterplay at this point.  I play the same games on the 5200, 800, and emulators, and my scores aren't much affected by the controller I use.  If you learn to use the CX52, it's fine for nearly all games available.  

But it does need more regular fiddling than an old NES or Genesis, and the game library is limited if you don't have a flashcart, with some of the best games having some stupid eBay prices.  So, you really gotta' want this particular system and be cool with its quirks.  If you do, you're in for a good time, and there are some really good homebrews for it.  Adventure II, Ratcatcher, and Magical Fairy Force go a long way toward closing the game library gap with other consoles, and the some of the best 8-bit stuff has been ported over and you can get cartridges of those for a decent price.  Qualified recommendation, but I would still recommend it.

You need to play the system or the controllers stop working properly. The 5200 does take upkeep, but it isn't like a Vectrex or an Astrocade. Also, I have had good luck with the system, while the Colecovision is what I finally said no more repairs to and I pre-ordered a Phoenix. The 5200 is my favorite console. The carts and the manuals and everything just showcases Atari in its prime. On the other hand, the 7800 with its black and white manuals and sad cart labels make you realize Atari was in decline. Also, except for Bounty Bob, you can fairly easily collect a complete collection. It's a quirky beast that is more than worth it to me. 

1 hour ago, 4300 said:

Wonder if he ever bought one???

The only thing I have to add to this old thread is find another option for the controller. No matter how well the original controller has been refurbished, it's still a steaming pile of dogshit.

Here are my three controller options:

(ahem, not cheap):

50726FA6-AFD8-4230-9163-CD502B1B0ACA.jpeg

06E5B655-F522-4C73-86C2-AD815B2A8161.jpeg

60D75B23-B413-433D-A9FE-6B3BD8BB0659.jpeg

23 hours ago, 4300 said:

Or just use the what's-his-face adapter to use a genesis controller. 

All these optional joy-sticks/pads and converter-pieces are rare and costly, thats the problem...

- - -

Perhaps AtariAge should begin producing joystic-converters, for use with old PC-joysticks.

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Giles N said:

All these optional joy-sticks/pads and converter-pieces are rare and costly, thats the problem...

- - -

Perhaps AtariAge should begin producing joystic-converters, for use with old PC-joysticks.

Perhaps let's not go down the path of suggesting what others should do. Plenty of people have volunteered their time and talents in the past and will no doubt continue to do so in the future. If someone is troubled by the 5200 controllers there are plenty of solutions out there if one looks, and plenty of friendly people on AtariAge from whom to ask for help.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, john_q_atari said:

Perhaps let's not go down the path of suggesting what others should do. Plenty of people have volunteered their time and talents in the past and will no doubt continue to do so in the future. If someone is troubled by the 5200 controllers there are plenty of solutions out there if one looks, and plenty of friendly people on AtariAge from whom to ask for help.

Ok, get your point & fair ‘nough...

I think I should have used wordings like ‘it could perhaps be an option worth considering if this or that...’

My impression from

the AtariAge store is that there is an interest in providing quality-controllers.

So, on that note, combined with the many threads regarding the 5200 controllers I threw it out as something to consider, not like ‘ought to’.

Edited by Giles N

3 minutes ago, Keatah said:

I think this is a growing problem across many platforms, not just the 5200.

I’ve a spent a small fortune on my Command Control-sticks, the modded Neo-Geo Stick and the modded Jaguar-pad.

Now, of course I’m well of as to playing my 5200, but new gamers for this, in many ways underrated system,

may be put off by the controller-issue, which is a bit sad, a tiny shame really...

Edited by Giles N

1 hour ago, Giles N said:

I’ve a spent a small fortune on my Command Control-sticks, the modded Neo-Geo Stick and the modded Jaguar-pad.

Now, of course I’m well of as to playing my 5200, but new gamers for this, in many ways underrated system,

may be put off by the controller-issue, which is a bit sad, a tiny shame really...

Yeah I talked to the guy that made that neogeo stick mod in the past. It's nice but like anything custom it is necessarily pricey. I've spent more time building controllers and adapters than actually playing my 5200! Well maybe not but it's close! Since we are on the topic, what do you think would be most helpful to newcomers to the 5200? A cheap (what pricepoint?) masterplay clone for using a 2 button 9 pin plug joystick, or a genesis pad that works (both buttons) with the 5200, or something else?

11 hours ago, john_q_atari said:

Yeah I talked to the guy that made that neogeo stick mod in the past. It's nice but like anything custom it is necessarily pricey. I've spent more time building controllers and adapters than actually playing my 5200! Well maybe not but it's close! Since we are on the topic, what do you think would be most helpful to newcomers to the 5200? A cheap (what pricepoint?) masterplay clone for using a 2 button 9 pin plug joystick, or a genesis pad that works (both buttons) with the 5200, or something else?

I think it would be helpful with high availability of masterplays or converter-pieces enabling the use of PC-joystics from the 90ies which has grades of movement/analog movement but are of high quality.

I don’t thing the Y-split cables are so rare or costly.

Edited by Giles N

• 1 month later...
On 2/10/2021 at 1:29 PM, sirlynxalot said:

The huge downside to the 5200 is the analogue controller. Aside from the fact that it can get a little flakey or break over time, imo many of the games are just not designed for analogue controls, so I feel like using the analogue controller is a hindrance to being good at the game.  I can play something like megamania or space invaders on a digital d-pad or my keyboard on an emulator and blast through much of it like a pro - its frustrating then, to play it with the actual 5200 controller and play much worse due to the less precise movement of the analogue joystick with these games that ordinarily use digital input on other systems.

I disagree.  Many of the games are great for me on the original controller and I have the scores to back it up.  People that didn't grow up on the system and that are used to digital sticks may have a hard time but games like Galaxian, Centipede, Star Raiders, Space Dungeon and a slew of other games make the 5200 controls really fun and easy for me. 

Edited by phuzaxeman

On 1/2/2020 at 2:56 PM, Keatah said:

Ever consider going the 8-bit computer route? As that's what a 5200 is, an 8-bit computer with minimal BIOS and no keyboard. Otherwise the graphics and sound is exactly the same. And so is the software library, 99% of the stuff has been ported from one to the other.

The thing you gain by going the 5200 route is the easier access to games. No computery stuff to get in the way. And of course the analog controls - if you like that sorta thing.

There are games that you cannot replicate the eperience on the 8bit that's on the 5200.  For example, the experience playing Real Sports Baseball using analog sticks and a keypad is great.  To bunt, you swing the stick half way.  You can't do that on a regular joystick.  To throw a curveball, you press the keypad.  Everything is all in your hand. 

5200 Star Raiders is a better experience and much more challenging than the 8bit version.

When you play the arcade Star Wars, the controls are analog.  The 5200 also uses the analog controls too.  It has a similar feeling.  Same thing with centipede.  The 5200 trackball was the best designed trackball in that era.  

Don't get me wrong, the 8bit is a great computer.  I've had mine since 84, but its my 5200 that gets more playing in 2021.  It's just easier to load up and I have my 2600 adapter setup ready to fire up if I want to play the 2600 games.

Edited by phuzaxeman
  • Thanks 1