IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2020 (Season 13)

carlsson

It was a pretty laid back and relaxing week for gaming around here this past week, with some noteworthy accomplishments to mention! After playing Final Doom on the Switch for the last couple weeks I finished the TNT Evilution episode this week, so now I've just got The Plutonia Experiment to tackle, but I decided to take some time off from Doom to play a little Sega. First I checked out Jurassic Park on the Sega CD, which plays a lot like Myst except you get to shoot dinosaurs. :lol: It's a neat game, though like may point and click adventure games some of the puzzles are way too cryptic for their own good. I never ended up finishing the game, I kinda burnt out on the obtuse puzzles, but I may get back to it at some point. 

What I did finish this week was the Sega Genesis version of Jurassic Park, which was especially cool since it's a game I've played off and on since I was 7 years old and was one of my childhood favorite video games! It's not a particularly good action platformer game, the controls are pretty flakey, the level design can be brutally difficult, and there's some big slowdown here and there; but it's a game a played a lot growing up a so I still like it. You can play as either a velociraptor or Alan Grant, and while I had beaten it with the raptor before I hd never beaten it with Grant until this past week; so another childhood nemesis defeated! :D

The only other game played around here this past week was Tomb Raider III on the PlayStation, which the misses is just about halfway through at this point I think. That's all the news that's fit to print for this week! Until next week, and as always, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours. 

Ineligible

Final Doom (Nintendo Switch) - 275 minutes

Sega CD

Jurassic Park - 558 minutes

Sega Genesis

Jurassic Park - 229 minutes

Sony PlayStation

Tomb Raider III - 297 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,359 minutes (22 hours 39 minutes) [1,084 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Sega CD: 558 minutes

Sony PlayStation: 297 minutes

Nintendo Switch: 275 minutes

Sega Genesis: 229 minutes

• Like 3

Here's the summary for Week 04, running from January 20 - 26. We logged 3714 minutes of eligible play, playing 28 games on a total of 10 systems.

Top 10:

1. Breath of Fire III (PlayStation) - 802 min. (#2)
2. Jurassic Park (Sega CD) - 558 min.
3. Canyon Bomber (Atari 2600) - 367 min.
4. Tomb Raider III (PlayStation) - 297 min. (#1)
5. Elevator Action (Arcade) - 240 min.
6. Jurassic Park (Genesis) - 229 min.
7. Musashi no Bouken [The Adventures of Musashi Jr] (NES/Famicom) - 172 min. (#8)
8. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 129 min. (#3)
9. Draconian (Atari 2600) - 115 min.
10. Tempest 2000 (Atari Jaguar) - 91 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Canyon Bomber (Atari 2600) - 367 min.
2. Elevator Action (Arcade) - 240 min.
3. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 129 min. (PN#1)
4. Draconian (Atari 2600) - 115 min.
5. Commando (Atari 7800) - 87 min.
6. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 78 min.
7. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600) - 71 min.
8. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 69 min. (PN#4)
9. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 57 min. (PN#7)
10. Squish 'em (Atari 2600) - 47 min. (PN#10)

Top 10 systems:

1. PlayStation (1099) (#1)
2. Atari 2600 (890) (#2)
3. Sega CD (558)
4. NES/Famicom (279) (#3)
5. Arcade (272) (#4)
6. Genesis (229) (#5)
7. Atari 7800 (187)
8. Atari Jaguar (118)
9. Sega Saturn (45)
10. Atari 8-bit (37) (#7)

Breath of Fire III has now moved from #10 through #2 into #1, well ahead of all the other games in the classic tracker including two versions of Jurassic Park and also ahead of all the games in the modern tracker (though PUBG was not very far behind, if the two trackers would be combined). The pre-NES title is won by Canyon Bomber and the most played system for another week is the PlayStation.

This week we have two new entries to the 1000 Minute Club:

#392 Breath of Fire III (PlayStation) - 1443 min.

#393 Musashi no Bouken [The Adventures of Musashi Jr] (NES/Famicom) - 1002 min.

Also Tomb Raider III (PlayStation) enters the 5000 Minute Club with a total of 5080 minutes.

In case anyone forgot to post their minutes, we'll include those for next week. Also everyone reading this thread are welcome to participate, for a single week or for rest of the year if they like.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Atari 8-bit:
Joust - 47 min.

Oric-1/Atmos:
Don Juan - 35 min.

Sord M5:
Mince - 4 min.
Pooyan - 11 min.
Reversi - 13 min.
Tetris [Jan Jelinek/ROS/FSoft] - 41 min.
Up Up Balloon - 6 min.

So the first round of the A8 HSC is just about to end, and while I've constantly improved my Joust scores, I'm starting to hit my theoretical max.

For some reason, earlier this week I started to look up dating simulation games and came across this French game Don Juan for the Oric and Amstrad CPC computers, which also exists in English translation. Despite I cheated and wrote down the whole vocabulary list, I didn't manage to get any far in the game but it was quite hilarious, almost like a crap game that doesn't intend to be crap. Here are some screenshots for those who like to see pretty women.

Then I was part of a Sord M5 discussion and got access to a repository of tape images. This Japanese home computer is mentioned in plenty of websites, but usually very briefly and it is hard to find a single site that contains a complete listing of cartridges, tapes, hardware specs etc. Pooyan and Up Up Balloon are well known cartridge games and Reversi at least is on the SirMorris multicart, so not to write about those. Mince is a Lights Out type of game played on a 4x4 grid that I didn't manage to solve, but rather nice. The Tetris game is of the Soviet type meaning that you can only rotate blocks in one direction and they end up a bit dislocated in the rotation. When you drop blocks you can't move them and if you press the wrong button you'll increase the speed. There is no bonus for removing multiple lines at a time, but overall quite OK implementation, at least until someone makes an even better one.

• Like 5

Here are my times for this past week (January 27th through February 2nd) on classic systems...

Arcade:

Elevator Action - 128 min. in 7 sessions

Channel F:

Golf - 3 min.

I continued to play Elevator Action, but I can't for the life of me beat the 3rd level. The enemies get pretty tough by the end of it.

I also tried Golf for the Channel F which is a homebrew game by Atari2600land and eFrog5. It's not as flexible as other Golf games though... the ball only ever moves in one of 8 directions, for instance.

I also thought of developing a game of my own - an adventure game possibly for the TI-99. It would be something for geeks though... I'd incllude several rooms where you meet various Atariage forum regulars who talk the way they do here in the forum and give you appropriate hints and things. Some of the things you have to do might be helping out with their projects by bringing some contributions from one member to another. ;-)

• Like 5

My times for the week:

Playstation

Breath of Fire III - 445 min (Moved the game forward to "adult" Ryu now.  Reunited with Rei and everyone is back together again (Ryu, Garr, Peco, Momo, Nina, and Rei.)  Just about to see what's going on at the plant.  Trying to level a little before moving forward, but it's slow going.)

Saturn

PGA Tour 97 - 84 min (Played two rounds, one on each course.  No eagles this time.)

• Like 5

My times for the week:

NES:
Devilman - 235 min.
Kouryuu Densetsu Villgust Gaiden - 1 min.
Musashi no Bouken - 211 min.

Game Boy:
The Smurfs’ Nightmare - 2 min.

Beat Musashi no Bouken and Devilman -- both games I savestated through in the 2000s, so it's nice to beat them legitimately.

By the way, The Smurfs' Nightmare is the actual Game Boy monochrome version (i.e. not the far more common GBC release), or so the ROM file tells me. I'd like to play through it at some point, but -- at least today -- playing on that tiny GBA screen was just not happening. I guess I've gotten spoiled by the Super Game Boy 2...

• Like 6

This was one horrifying, stressful week for gaming around here... and that's because I picked up Alien: Isolation for the Switch and did a complete playthrough of it over the weekend! :D

vZhmwwy.jpg

Ineligible

Alien: Isolation (Nintendo Switch) - 1,375 minutes

Sega Genesis

Jurassic Park - 118 minutes

Sony PlayStation

Tomb Raider III - 183 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,676 minutes (27 hours 56 minutes) [301 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 1,375 minutes

Sony PlayStation: 183 minutes

Sega Genesis: 118 minutes

It's been a long while since I did a big marathon playthrough of a game, but I downloaded Alien: Isolation on Friday evening then spent almost all day Saturday and Sunday playing through it. I had played it once before a couple years ago when I owned an Xbox One so I still remembered most of where to go and what to do, but it was still just as nerve wracking and anxiety inducing as it was to play the first time around; which for a horror game is a really good thing! To this day Alien: Isolation is still the most genuinely terrifying game I've ever played, and definitely in contention for the title my all time favorite video game in any genre. 

Outside of my brain frying Alien: Isolation marathon I also took the time to play through Jurassic Park on the Genesis again earlier this week, beating it with the velociraptor this time around, and the misses logged a few more hours in Tomb Raider III on the PlayStation once again. Looking ahead to next week I think I'll probably be playing through the extra content in Alien: Isolation, though I may take a break to play something a little less stressful and decompress for a while lol Some Sega time might do me good.

That's all the news that's fit to print for this week, so until next week and as always, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours! 

P.S.: Huge thanks to Carlsson for running both of the trackers once again this year! I know I haven't been super active on the forum for quite a while, but I still really enjoy popping in to participate in the trackers every week. :)

• Like 4

Here's the summary for Week 05, running from January 27 - February 2. We logged 2465 minutes of eligible play, playing 30 games on a total of 15 systems.

Top 10:

1. Breath of Fire III (PlayStation) - 445 min. (#1)
2. Devilman (NES/Famicom) - 235 min.
3. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600) - 216 min. (PN#7)
4. Musashi no Bouken [The Adventures of Musashi Jr] (NES/Famicom) - 211 min. (#7)
5. Tomb Raider III (PlayStation) - 183 min. (#4)
6. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 132 min. (PN#6)
7. Elevator Action (Arcade) - 128 min. (#5)
8. Jurassic Park (Genesis) - 118 min. (#6)
9. Jr. Pac-Man (Atari 2600) - 110 min.
10. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 96 min. (PN#8)

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600) - 216 min. (PN#7)
2. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 132 min. (PN#6)
3. Elevator Action (Arcade) - 128 min. (PN#2)
4. Jr. Pac-Man (Atari 2600) - 110 min.
5. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 96 min. (PN#8)
6. Centipede (TI-99/4A) - 92 min.
7. Fantastic Voyage (Atari 2600) - 63 min.
8. Joust (Atari 8-bit) - 47 min.
9. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 42 min. (PN#3)
10. Tetris [Jan Jelinek/ROS/FSoft] (Sord M5) - 41 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. PlayStation (628) (#1)
2. Atari 2600 (565) (#2)
3. NES/Famicom (447) (#4)
4. Atari 7800 (142) (#7)
5. Arcade (128) (#5)
6. Genesis (118) (#6)
7. TI-99/4A (92)
8. Sega Saturn (84) (#9)
9. SNES (84)
10. Sord M5 (75)

Once again, Breath of Fire III takes the overall title with a fairly close battle for spots #2 - #5. Pre-NES it is one of the HSC games Donkey Kong which is the most played on a list that to 80% is dominated by Atari systems, as it should be on a mostly Atari oriented forum. The top two systems from last week, the PlayStation and Atari 2600 retain their spots with some minor shuffling further down the list and a couple "new" entries.

This week sees no new entries to the 1000, 5000 or 10000 Minute Clubs.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, RedThunder said:

Quick question.  Are PC games allowed ?

and I assume Atari and other games on a PC emulator = atari, amiga, snes :)

PC games up to 1999... so games for DOS, Windows 3.1, and Windows 95/98 (though I think only Win 95/98 games released before 2000). 

• Like 1

@RedThunder: Yes, PC games that are runnable on Windows 98 or earlier. Sometimes there is a discrepancy there, so perhaps it should be added "below 1 GHz" to be on the safe side. However there is a parallel modern games tracker in case you're uncertain how new the games are.

Anyway, here are my times for the week, the beginning of the second HSC round. It is not a favorite game of mine, but I'm slowly getting to get a grip on it, though I'm far behind all the others in scoring.

Atari 8-bit:
Donkey Kong - 49 min.

• Like 2

Here are my times for this past week (February 3rd through 9th) on classic systems...

Arcade:

Elevator Action - 81 min. in 4 sessions

Tetris (Atari Games) - 10 min.

Handhelds:

Game & Watch: Mario's Cement Factory (New Wide Screen) - 60 min.

I continued playing Elevatoir Action and finally managed to beat the 3rd level. The 4th level, unsurprisingly, is even harder...

Then I also played one game of Atari Game's Tetris machine.

Last, but not least, I learned that quite a few handheld games are now emulated in MAME. This has been trickling in over the last 2-3 years. I selected one of my favorite games, Mario Bros. Unfortunately, the MAME version required for this doesn't run on my normal PC anymore which is still on Windows XP, so I ran it on my notebook which has Windows 10 64-bit, but it's rather slow... without tweaking, it runs at about 20% of its normal speed, but with frameskips you get full speed. The question is what in the emulation of such a primitive game takes so much CPU time?

Anyway, I also took a peek at the code of this game (since it runs on the same MCU as Mickey & Donald, which I disassembled before), and there are more differences between the two games code-wise than I expected. I expected some common subroutines doing the same thing and being in the same place, but this doesn't seem to be the case... at least not in the places I looked at.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
forgot min.
  • Like 4

Only a couple times this week for the classic tracker...  Took my Gameboy with me to do laundry.

Gameboy

The Smurfs - 17 min (It's funny how a game obviously geared towards kids can be so tough.  Furthest I've ever gotten is the fourth level.  Not sure how many there are... a forest level, a riding a log level, a bridge level, and a swamp level with frog head platforms and hanging vines.)

Tetris - 60 min (I've never been great at Tetris.  Don't remember my best score, but do remember that it was level 9 with 99 lines.)

• Like 4