IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2020 (Season 13)

carlsson

ATARI 2600:

Centipede (for HSC Silver Medal Finals) - 50 minutes

Ice Hockey (for HSC Silver Medal Finals) - 20 minutes

Space Invaders - 7 minutes

My opponent (Deteacher) won the 2600 NEW HSC Season 9 Silver Medal Tournament by his awesome score on Pressure Cooker and Ice Hockey. I won one of 3 games in the finals (Centipede) and got close on Ice Hockey with 38 differential points in my last effort (Deteacher scored 42).

ATARI 7800:

Pac-Man Collection - 118 minutes

EVIDENCES OF THE WEEK:

1) My last scores on Ice Hockey and Centipede for the Silver Medal Finals.

Centipede.thumb.jpg.98f25e1a3c60afc96cb017cf9987d062.jpg

248194318_IceHockey(1981)(Activision)_2.thumb.png.c0205ae3e968d847a5454b18100ff979.png

2) My new high score on 7800 Pac-Man Collection - 254,430 (3 Ms. Pac-Man to start, Plus OFF, Fast ON and Cherries)

(In the face of COVID-19, it's interesting to watch my greatest gameplay footage)

Edited by oyamafamily
Correction
  • Like 4

My times for the week:

Atari 2600:
Assault - 2 min.

NES:
The Adventures of Captain Comic - 42 min.
Castelian - 138 min.
Escape from Atlantis - 68 min.
Fist of the North Star - 117 min.
Kyoro Chan Land - 13 min.
Takeshi no Chousenjou - 226 min.

Beat Fist of the North Star, Takeshi no Chousenjou, and Escape from Atlantis -- all from the category of "games I beat with savestates in the 2000s, and now want to clear legitimately".

Nice to reduce that list by three more entries, and relatively easily at that. I was worried about Escape from Atlantis, since it's an unlicensed prototype (two strikes!), but it turns out to be very playable thanks to a remarkably forward-thinking character death mechanic. Thoughts on those here.

I also beat Castelian on Novice difficulty -- and, ironically enough, did a savestate-assisted playthrough of Captain Comic (for research purposes), though I've beaten it legitimately twice before.

• Like 4

Override (PC Engine) 62 mins

Was trying out my RGB/AV adapter and it's much better than the direct-to-pin cable I was using. My CRT does not have component but it still like great via composite and the audio is much cleaner. Anyway, I got to the end boss of stage 6 in Override (the farthest I have ever gotten in this game). 

• Like 4

I've been spending my Classic Gaming time playing through the Street Fighter games- as from the last few weeks, they're some of my favorite 'mindless' games to play.

The times are all round numbers since I was budgeting the time out right before bedtime.  :)

Arcade:

Street Fighter Alpha -- 210 minutes

Street Fighter Alpha 2 -- 210 minutes

Street Fighter II Turbo -- 15 minutes

Super Street Fighter II -- 15 minutes

Street Fighter III: Third Strike -- 15 minutes

• Like 3

It was a pretty darn big week for gaming around here this week, with lots of time logged in a nice variety of different games! :D

Ineligible

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs (Nintendo Switch) - 445 minutes

Doom 64 (Nintendo Switch) - 660 minutes

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo Switch) - 370 minutes

Sega Genesis

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles - 375 minutes

Thunder Force III - 87 minutes

Sony PlayStation

Tomb Raider III - 242 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

2,179 minutes (36 hours 19 minutes) [704 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 1,475 minutes

Sega Genesis: 462 minutes

Sony PlayStation: 242 minutes

Edited by Skippy B. Coyote
  • Like 4

All times here approximate...  

TurboGrafx-16

Blazing Lazers - 30 min (Was just playing to get some pics to make emotes for Twitch, so didn't play past the third stage or so, but restarted several times because it was difficult to get all the pics I wanted.  Might've been better to do it on an emulator, then use a screen shot, but I was taking pictures of my TV screen with my phone, then putting them in GIMP to manipulate.  Turned out okay.)

Bonk's Adventure - 15 min (Same as above.  Took some pics of Bonk and some enemies, but haven't used them.)

Galaga '90 - 5 min (Same as above.)

R-Type - 10 min (Same as above.  Got the pictures I needed in level 1, but played a little more anyway.)

RTplus112.png

• Like 3

Here's the summary for Week 12, running from March 16 - 22. We logged 3230 minutes of eligible play, playing 48 games on a total of 9 systems.

Top 10:

1. Sonic 3 & Knuckles [aka Complete Version] (Genesis) - 375 min.
2. Tomb Raider III (PlayStation) - 242 min.
3. Drelbs (C64) - 234 min. (#4)
4. Takeshi no Chousenjou (NES/Famicom) - 226 min.
5. Street Fighter Alpha - Warriors' Dreams (Arcade) - 210 min. (#1)
5. Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Arcade) - 210 min. (#1)
7. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 140 min.
8. Castelian (NES/Famicom) - 138 min.
9. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 118 min. (#6)
10. Fist of the North Star (NES/Famicom) - 117 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Drelbs (C64) - 234 min. (PN#1)
2. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 140 min. (PN#9)
3. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 118 min. (PN#2)
4. Thunderground (Atari 2600) - 107 min. (PN#10)
5. Boulder Dash II (Atari 8-bit) - 94 min.
6. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 89 min.
6. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 89 min. (PN#7)
8. Centipede (Atari 2600) - 50 min. (PN#5)
8. Miner 2049er (C64) - 50 min.
10. Breakout (Atari 2600) - 46 min.

Top 9 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (616) (#1)
2. NES/Famicom (604) (#5)
3. Arcade (465) (#2)
4. Genesis (462) (#3)
5. C64 (314) (#4)
6. Atari 8-bit (287) (including XEGS which is an A8 variant)
7. PlayStation (242)
8. TG-16/PC Engine (122)
9. Atari 7800 (118) (#6)

As the classic tracker slowly gears up again, the combination of Sonic 3 & Knuckles gets a solid win by 133 minutes. Two of the winners from last week maintain their title as Drelbs holds almost as large margin, 96 minutes towards Eggomania on the pre-NES list, and a combination of games for the Atari 2600 just barely fends off the NES/Famicom on the systems list.

Squish 'em (Atari 2600) becomes member #399 on the 1000 Minute Club with a total of 1007 minutes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Here are my times for this week on classic systems:

MS-DOS:

Armor Alley - 145 min.

This week I only played one classic game, Armor Alley, and even that is from 1991. It's a game similar to Choplifter where you control a helicopter, but the actual goal is to reach the enemy side of the playfield with a van while the enemy tries to do the same thing, and you can order new units with several keys, as well as fire different weapons. All in all it's much more complex than Choplifter. Actually I played the web version first (more on that in the modern tracker). The MS-DOS version is similar, but does have several differences... the gameplay is somewhat more relaxed in that there are less units on the playfield at one time because you also have to use funds to buy helicopters, and the enemy helicopter seems to be more keen on destroying your men than on attacking you. Also you need several shots to take out enemy men, but also several men to turn a bunker into one of yours. On the other hand, half of the bunkers are yours from the start... but I think I'm going too much into the details of the game.

• Like 4

Atari 2600:
Bowling - 45 min.

Atari 8-bit:
Boulder Dash II - 29 min.
Montezuma Again! - 5 min.

A8 times of course are the result of the HSC. We just finished BD2 and will now revisit Super Pac-Man (last played in January 2017) and have a go at a hacked version of Montezuma's Revenge, once we found a way to bring down the number of lives from 200 (!) to 5.

Also I have been playing my Atari Flashback Portable in bed, just before going to sleep. I didn't keep exact timing but estimate to have spent 45 mins on that in the past week. At best I get around 230 points on the easiest level.

• Like 3

My times for the week:

NES:
The Chessmaster - 15 min.
Jaws - 48 min.
Jimmy Connors Tennis - 2 min.

Karate Champ - 43 min.
The Karate Kid - 24 min.
Sky Kid - 10 min.
Solomon’s Key - 233 min.

Sega Master System:
Sega Chess - 332 min.

Game Gear:
The Chessmaster - 5 min.

Beat The Karate Kid for the first time in about 30 years, after watching a YouTube review that claimed it was punishingly hard or unfair or something. It's...a very, very easy game.

I also beat Karate Champ (by looping all 10 stages), which mostly turns out to be an exercise in ducking and punching. Weirdest controls ever.

I'm still trying to decide whether to say I beat Sega Chess. Certainly I beat the game on several difficulty levels, including the highest nominal difficulty, Grand Chess Master, with the Black pieces. However there's also an Infinite Think mode that allegedly takes up to a full day to come up with its moves...ugh. Sounds like a recipe for turbo boost mode in an emulator, but I'll have to set that up.

Finally, I made a few unsuccessful attempts at Jaws -- a rather tedious game I've never beaten -- and made it to the late game in Solomon's Key, which offers infinite continues (via a legitimate code) but expects you to beat the last eight levels in one fell swoop: continuing puts you back at Room #41, the last Room is #48. I've got #41 and #42 completely down and #43 figured out, but I haven't gotten past #44 yet.

• Like 5

Commodore 64:

Questron - 60 minutes

Ultimate Wizard - 45 minutes

XEGS:

Qix - 30 minutes

Asteroids - 20 minutes

Wizard of Wor - 20 minutes

I've been really impressed with the quality of the 8bit games. I never realized how good they were.

• Like 4

All shooters this week...

NES

1943 - 45 min (Busted out the NES Advantage for this classic.  It's pretty much impossible imo without it.)

TurboGrafx-16

Blazing Lazers - 97 min (Played a couple games of this on stream.  Did not beat or anything.)

Psychosis - 37 min (Would have liked to have beaten this one... or at least the first loop.  I've beaten it before, but I have to do it with one ship as powering back up after a death is too difficult.)

R-Type - 157 min (Getting better slowly at this one.  Can now consistently (somewhat) get past the third level with one ship, but I'm too unfamiliar with the fourth level to get anywhere on it.  I've gotten to the boss of the fourth level before, but that's as far as I've ever gotten and I didn't get there this week.)

Raiden - 24 min (Such a tough version of the game, I think.  I don't think I got past the second stage boss this time around.)

• Like 4

A pretty standard week for gaming around here this past week! I wrapped up Doom 64 on the Switch then decided to do my yearly play through of Tanglewood on the Genesis, but got distracted halfway through by the itch to play Alien: Isolation again. That's where the rest of my week gaming went, meanwhile the misses has been continuing to chip away at Tomb Raider III here and there. The only other games played this past week were a few minutes of Tetris on the Game Boy, and I downloaded and spent a little time checking out Dogurai on the Switch. The latter is a very cool Game Boy and Ninja Gaiden inspired platformer and well worth checking out if you've got a Switch and $2.50 USD to spare. :)

Ineligible (All Nintendo Switch)

Alien: Isolation - 380 minutes

Dogurai - 100 minutes

Doom 64 - 310 minutes

Game Boy

Tetris - 17 minutes

Sega Genesis

Tanglewood - 230 minutes

Sony PlayStation

Tomb Raider III - 123 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,160 minutes (19 hours 20 minutes) [370 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 790 minutes

Sega Genesis: 230 minutes

Sony PlayStation: 123 minutes

Game Boy: 17 minutes

Edited by Skippy B. Coyote
  • Like 4

Here's the summary for Week 13, running from March 23 - 29. We logged 2866 minutes of eligible play, playing 40 games on a total of 14 systems.

Top 10:

1. Sega Chess (Sega Master System) - 332 min.
2. Solomon's Key (NES/Famicom) - 233 min.
3. Tanglewood (Genesis) - 230 min.
4. Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Arcade) - 210 min. (#5)
5. R-Type (TG-16/PC Engine) - 157 min.
6. Pac-Man 4K (Atari 2600) - 155 min.
7. Armor Alley (PC (DOS)) - 145 min.
8. Tomb Raider III (PlayStation) - 123 min. (#2)
9. Tanks But No Tanks (Atari 2600) - 116 min.
10. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 114 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Pac-Man 4K (Atari 2600) - 155 min.
2. Tanks But No Tanks (Atari 2600) - 116 min.
3. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 114 min. (PN#6)
4. Asteroids Deluxe (Arcade) - 108 min.
5. Questron (C64) - 60 min.
6. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 53 min. (PN#6)
7. Bowling (Atari 2600) - 45 min.
7. Ultimate Wizard (C64) - 45 min.
9. Qix (Atari 8-bit) - 30 min.
10. Boulder Dash II (Atari 8-bit) - 29 min. (PN#5)

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (538) (#1)
2. NES/Famicom (451) (#2)
3. Sega Master System (332)
4. Arcade (324) (#3)
5. TG-16/PC Engine (315) (#8)
6. Genesis (230) (#4)
7. PC (DOS) (212)
8. PlayStation (123) (#7)
9. C64 (105) (#5)
10. Atari 8-bit & XEGS (104) (#6)

Sega Chess, which up to now only had 8 minutes of gameplay tracked, jumps straight into #1, about 100 minutes ahead of Solomon's Key and Tanglewood. The pre-NES list is headed by a Pac-Man game, but rather than the usual Pac-Man Collection for the 7800, this time it is the 4K version for the 2600. Speaking of the Atari 2600, it also secures the top spot on the systems list.

No new entries to the 1000 Minute Club etc, but since I'm a bit of a nerd I couldn't help noticing that Eggomania on the 2600 now has obtained exactly 4711 minutes. Cheers! ... or maybe not on second thought.

1200px-4711.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Spent more time with the Commodore 64 last night and today...

Commodore 64:

Spy Hunter - 15 minutes

Jordan vs Bird: One-on-One Basketball - 90 minutes

Atari 2600:

Space Cactus Canyon - 60 minutes

I had forgotten how much fun One-on-One was. I loved Larry Bird as a kid and this was one of the first games I remember buying after getting a C-64. Fouls, Instant Reply, Shattering Backboard with a Cranky Janitor. It's still awesome! It was made by Electronic Arts but the load screen shows EOA. What does the 'O' stand for?

• Like 5