IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2020 (Season 13)

carlsson

Atari 2600:
Breakout - 10 min.
Super Breakout - 60 min.

Atari 8-bit:
Super Pacman - 5 min.

The times on the Atari Flashback Portable are very rough estimates, as I played this before going to sleep over the course of several days. I don't think the AFP is the perfect console for those breakout games, but then again neither of them rank among my all time favorite breakout games to begin with. Then a very little bit of A8 HSC. Mostly I've been lazy, and spent the extended Easter weekend (Friday - Monday over here) doing very little, both in terms of gaming and other chores. See, I just listed playing video games as a chore!

• Like 4

Intellivision:

Anthropomorphic Force (AF) - 20 minutes

TNT Cowboy - 205 minutes

Both of these games are by KAI Magazine and are really really good. I "finished" TNT Cowboy (you can continue playing and the difficulty increases but I count it as finished since I completed each level once and the game scrolls through the credits). It combines elements of two of my favorite games; Final Fantasy and Bomberman. Super cool.

• Like 6

Here are my times for this past week (April 6th through 12th) on classic systems...

Apple II:

Rescue Raiders - 177 min. in 3 sessions

Atari 2600:

Choplifter - 3 min.

Chopper Command - 12 min.

Omicron - 10 min.

Atari 800:

Fort Apocalypse - 73 min.

Survivor - 21 min.

Commodore 64:

Fort Apocalypse II - 72 min. in 3 sessions

This week I continued to play "Rescue Raiders" on the Apple II until I managed to win the first battle, then I continued playing other games, many of them having a helicopter as the main character:

"Choplifter" on the Atari 2600 is a homebrew effort which isn't quite authentic

"Chopper Command" is the well-known Activision game. You don't get to pick up men in this one.

"Omicron" isn't a helicopter game at all, but I saw them playing it on a Youtube video.

"Fort Apocalypse" is another helicopter game, this time I played the original Atari 8-bit version which I had never played before. I managed to complete it after some failed attempts.

"Survivor" is said to have been Synapse's first game on the Atari 800 (their original target platform), and it plays quite well. Surprisingly, it just ends after winning a level instead of continuing on harder difficulty.

"Fort Apocalypse II" is basically a remake of the C-64 version on the C-64 itself by a German programmer with the same graphics but an expanded play area. It adds two more caves to the existing two, and due to being reprogrammed, there are other subtle differences as well. Most notably, there isn't an enemy helicopter and you can adjust how aggresive the enemy tanks should be. The whole game feels less "floaty" than the original version.

• Like 6

My times for the week:

NES:

Dark Lord - 12 min.

Jimmy Connors Tennis - 13 min.
Marvel’s X-Men - 14 min.

Tashiro Masashi no Princess ga Ippai - 16 min.

Game Boy:
After Burst - 23 min.
Bases Loaded - 4 min.

Neo Geo MVS:
Art of Fighting - 53 min.
Art of Fighting 2 - 3 min.
NAM-1975 - 30 min.

• Like 6

A really good week for gaming here this past week! Outside of the life consuming wonder that is Animal Crossing: New Horizons, I finished up my second play through of Alien: Isolation for the year and got some retro gaming in as well. With the aid of the Mega SD flash cart I played some Crime Patrol and Mortal Kombat for the Sega CD, the latter of which was especially cool since the Mega SD chops down all the constant load times to next to nothing, then played a little Super Mario Bros. for the NES on the Switch. For the misses's gaming time this past week she played Final Fight CD on the Mega SD (which is sadly one of the few games that's still bugged on it and crashes every time on the second level) then had a lot more fun of a time playing the Genesis hack Sonic 3 Complete.

Sonic 3 Complete takes Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic & Knuckles and mashes them together into one game with the original prototype stage order from when they were in development as one game, adds in new and very well thought out transition sequences between stages, and a whole bunch of other nice features like being able to stop and restart Super Sonic mode at will once you have all the chaos emeralds and not having to listen to the invincibility music every time you go Super Sonic. Until Tanglewood came along, Sonic 3 & Knuckles was my all time favorite Genesis game and from what I've seen so far Sonic 3 Complete sure seems like the very best way to play it. :)

Ineligible (All Nintendo Switch)

Alien: Isolation - 350 minutes

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 915 minutes

NES (Emulated on Nintendo Switch)

Super Mario Bros. - 45 minutes

Sega CD

Crime Patrol - 20 minutes

Final Fight CD - 40 minutes

Mortal Kombat - 49 minutes

Sega Genesis

Sonic 3 Complete - 98 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,517 minutes (25 hours 17 minutes) [252 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 1,265 minutes

Sega CD: 109 minutes

Sega Genesis: 98 minutes

NES: 45 minutes

• Like 4

Here's the summary for Week 15, running from April 6 - 12. We logged 3762 minutes of eligible play, playing 59 games on a total of 14 systems.

Top 10:

1. Tomb Raider (Sega Saturn) - 921 min.
2. TNT Cowboy (Intellivision) - 205 min.
3. Spy Hunter (Arcade) - 188 min. (#2)
4. Rescue Raiders (Apple II) - 177 min. (#3)
5. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 175 min.
6. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES/Famicom) - 126 min.
7. Street Fighter Alpha - Warriors' Dreams (Arcade) - 120 min. (#6)
7. Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Arcade) - 120 min. (#6)
7. Williams Arcade Classics (Sega Saturn) - 120 min.
10. Asteroids Deluxe (Arcade) - 117 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. TNT Cowboy (Intellivision) - 205 min.
2. Spy Hunter (Arcade) - 188 min. (PN#1)
3. Rescue Raiders (Apple II) - 177 min. (PN#2)
4. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 175 min. (PN#4)
5. Asteroids Deluxe (Arcade) - 117 min. (PN#6)
6. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 93 min. (PN#10)
7. Lock N Chase (Atari 2600) - 91 min. (PN#9)
8. Fort Apocalypse (Atari 8-bit) - 73 min.
9. Fort Apocalypse II (C64) - 72 min.
10. Deadly Duck (Atari 2600) - 65 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Sega Saturn (1071)
2. Atari 2600 (671) (#3)
3. Arcade (606) (#1)
4. NES/Famicom (249) (#2)
5. Intellivision (225)
6. Apple II (177) (#5)
7. Game Boy (169)
8. Sega CD (109)
9. Atari 8-bit (99) (#8)
10. Genesis (98) (#7)

Lara Croft with all her pointy polygons returns to the tracker, putting Tomb Raider on the Saturn into a clear #1 place, followed by four pre-NES games of which the recent Intellivision homebrew TNT Cowboy by Kai Magazine becomes overall #2 and pre-NES #1, though only by a margin of 17 minutes ahead of the arcade version of Spy Hunter. Systems wise, the Saturn gets enough minutes to take the title ahead of the rest, primarily challenged by the 2600 and the arcade games.

We have three new members to the 1000 Minute Club:

#400 Spy Hunter (Arcade) - 1070 min.

#401 Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Arcade) - 1017 min.

#402 Lock N Chase (Atari 2600) - 1039 min.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Atari 8-bit:
Blueprint - 13 min.
Laser Gates - 14 min.

Only one session of gaming this past week, playing the two games in the current HSC round. While the games are different, they have in common that neither were sold separately for the Atari 8-bit computers: Blueprint is converted from the Atari 5200 version (so borderline case how it should be counted) and Laser Gates was part of the Imagic 1-2-3 floppy disk compilation rather than a separate release.

• Like 4

Here are my times of this past week (April 13th through 19th)...

Atari 2600:

Juno First - 9 min.

Atari 7800:

Choplifter - 8 min.

This week I didn't play much... the last helicopter game as a continuation of last week, Choplifter, and then Juno First, one of the games that support the Atarivox. I was far more busy completing my sound conversion utility which converts sound files to the TIA. Doing so, the utility picks from all the possible waveforms and attempts to match the spectrum of the original file as closely as possible with those limited resources. However, actually often the sound contains a wide spectrum which is best matched by a noisy waveform, out of which you can't make out much of individual tones anymore, only noise with about the correct average pitch.

• Like 5

Just one game again for me this week... but this time, with a twist!  It's on two different consoles!

Sega Saturn

Tomb Raider - 373 min (Finished up the game.  Some really tough jumping and trap filled sequences near the end took a while.  And my Saturn started glitching near the end so I had a blue bar taking up a portion of the far left side of the screen, and every time I went to a menu, instead of being able to see the level and Lara and stuff in the background, it was all blue and white.  Just random blue stuff everywhere.  On the final cutscene, you could see the cutscene okay, but instead of having a black border... you guessed it... blue.  Anyway, it was a bit confusing as I wasn't sure if I had reached the end or if my Saturn finally quit.  There were no credits or "congratulations" screen or anything.  Just didn't seem to actually be wrapped up in the end.  Lara just stole a boat and sped away.  Looked it up online to see that, yes, that is the only ending.  But it was kinda anticlimactic by then.  Oh well.)

Sony Playstation

Tomb Raider - 549 min (Started playing this one after finishing the Saturn version.  I'm playing this on my PS3 after having bought Tomb Raider from the Playstation store.  It of course looks better because it's all HDMI instead of composite, but it's really very similar to the Saturn version.  The only thing I've really noticed is the water is different.  The Saturn version looked like it was moving... like there were waves on the surface or something.  The Playstation version is flat.  And once underwater, on the Saturn version, the textures are kinda wavy like they're being distorted by the water.  But on the Playstation, that's not there.  The only other difference I've noticed is the save points.  On the Saturn, they are flat shaded, blue diamond shaped polygons.  But on the Playstation, they are kind of clear... a darker blue and you can see the area behind them being refracted through them like they are actual crystal or something.  So...  Saturn has better water, Playstation has better save points.  No other big differences noticed so far.)

• Like 5

I played Saturn and PS Tomb Raider through a few times, too.  My gameplay:

Sega Saturn. 

Shinobi Legions - 120 minutes. Can't beat it yet, but I've learned how to play better including doing the roll which is not documented in the manual from what I've seen!  Quarter circle up/forward. Follow it with a sword stab!

Sega rally - 60 minutes. Got 1st place , but only 2nd place on the bonus Lakeside race.  This is one of the most fun racers for me. 

Atari 5200 Kaboom - 20 minutes. 

• Like 6

My times for the week:

Arcade:

64th Street - 3 min.

Gyruss - 3 min.
Hot Shots Tennis - 9 min.

Mad Planets - 8 min.
Markham - 10 min.
Ninja Baseball Bat Man - 5 min.

NES:
Jimmy Connors Tennis - 90 min.
Marvel’s X-Men - 75 min.
SkyKid - 146 min.

Famicom Disk System:
Yakyuuken II: Gal’s Dungeon - 107 min.

Beat X-Men and a FDS hentai/dungeon crawler/rock-paper-scissors game (!), as well as Jimmy Connors on Intermediate. In between, I banged my head against the wall that is SkyKid.

Also had a nice run on Mad Planets, one of my all-time favorite arcade games. Just found out there was a spiritual sequel to it on SNES that, sadly, went unreleased but is around as a prototype -- I'll have to play it!

• Like 6

It was definitely one of the busier weeks for gaming around here, mostly on account of me seriously needing a break from all the stress and anxiety of the whole COVID-19 situation. With that in mind I decide to take the weekend off from any and all adult responsibilities and pretty much just played video games all day Saturday and Sunday. First I decided to put that $20 a year Nintendo Switch Online subscription to good use and fired up the built-in NES emulator to play through one of my all time favorite NES games that I hadn't played in years, Kirby's Adventure. 

Kirby was delightful as ever, and after that was finished I did a little further exploration into my large digital library of Sega Genesis games that I've never played on the Mega SD & Mega SG combo. It took a couple tries to beat it but I did a full play through of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist, and holy heck what an awesome beat 'em up that was! The misses and I also tried out Streets of Rage 2 for the first time, and while we didn't manage to beat the game it was still a fantastic experience. The music is just phenomenal in that game too! 

Rounding out the week, the spousal unit finished up her play through of Sonic 3 Complete for the Genesis and I started in on a timeless NES game that I haven't played in the better part of a decade, the original Legend of Zelda! It's been so long since I played it that I don't remember where to go or where almost anything is, so it's been a lot like playing it for the first time and I'm going to see if I can make it all the way through and beat the game with no resources other than the instruction manual and pack-in map. I'm on Level 5 at this point so wish me luck! :)

mPtXbbi.jpg

Ineligible

Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo Switch) - 600 minutes

NES (Played on Nintendo Switch Online)

Kirby's Adventure - 355 minutes

The Legend of Zelda - 335 minutes

Sega Genesis

Sonic 3 Complete - 221 minutes

Streets of Rage 2 - 63 minutes

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist - 171 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,745 minutes (29 hours 5 minutes) [1,145 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

NES: 690 minutes

Nintendo Switch: 600 minutes

Sega Genesis: 455 minutes

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Eltigro said:

I didn't realize until the other day that there was a Kaboom for the 5200.  Any experience with that version?  Better?  Worse?  Is there a paddle controller to use or is it just the analog stick?

Cons

• You have to make your own paddle controller
  • It plays a song during game that some find annoying

Pros

• There are 2 player game modes that offer more than just simple "take turns" playing options (ex Pitch and Catch)
  • The analog joystick offers a new control experience without completely ruining it

You can kind of experience the 5200 version on the 2600 now thanks to "Kaboom Deluxe"  

• Like 6