IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2020 (Season 13)

carlsson

i mixed it up this week and played a few different games in addition to the usual.  :)

Arcade:

Asteroids -- 42 minutes
Centipede -- 24 minutes
Battle Circuit -- 30 minutes
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike -- 30 minutes
Street Fighter Alpha -- 210 minutes
Street Fighter Alpha 2 -- 210 minutes

Genesis:

Streets of Rage 2 -- 127 minutes

• Like 4

Here's the summary for Week 16, running from April 13 - 19. We logged 4695 minutes of eligible play, playing 50 games on a total of 11 systems.

Top 10:

1. Tomb Raider (PlayStation) - 549 min.
2. Tomb Raider (Sega Saturn) - 373 min. (#1)
3. Kirby's Adventure (NES/Famicom) - 355 min.
4. Legend of Zelda, The (NES/Famicom) - 335 min.
5. Sonic 3 & Knuckles [aka Complete Version] (Genesis) - 221 min.
6. Street Fighter Alpha - Warriors' Dreams (Arcade) - 210 min. (#7)
6. Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Arcade) - 210 min. (#7)
8. Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis) - 190 min.
9. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (Genesis) - 171 min.
10. Donkey Kong Jr. (NES/Famicom) - 157 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Deadly Duck (Atari 2600) - 155 min. (PN#10)
2. Spy Hunter (Arcade) - 132 min. (PN#2)
3. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 127 min. (PN#4)
4. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 97 min. (PN#6)
5. Boing! (Atari 2600) - 90 min.
6. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 83 min.
7. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 48 min.
8. Asteroids (Arcade) - 42 min.
9. Peril (WIP) (Atari 2600) - 31 min.
10. Enduro (Atari 2600) - 30 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. NES/Famicom (1216) (#4)
2. Arcade (716) (#3)
3. Atari 2600 (709) (#2)
4. Genesis (582) (#10)
5. Sega Saturn (553) (#1)
6. PlayStation (549)
7. TG-16/PC Engine (125)
8. Famicom Disk System (107)
9. Atari 7800 (91)
10. Atari 8-bit (27) (#9)

Tomb Raider on the Saturn gets pushed down from #1 to #2 place by ... Tomb Raider on the PlayStation! I don't have stats for how often that happens but it can't be too common. On the pre-NES list, Deadly Duck makes a strong advance from #10 to #1 in a week, and systems wise it was a good NES week, in particular if we consider the FDS that is listed separately but mostly has the same chipset.

Lara Croft also gets to celebrate as Tomb Raider (Sega Saturn) becomes member #403 on the 1000 Minute Club with 1349 minutes. The PlayStation version already was part of that club since 2017 and now sits at 3177 minutes, halfway to the 5000 Minute Club. This is the 6th game in the Tomb Raider series to surpass 1000 minutes of playing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, carlsson said:

Here's the summary for Week 16, running from April 13 - 19. We logged 4695 minutes of eligible play, playing 50 games on a total of 11 systems.

Top 10:

1. Tomb Raider (PlayStation) - 549 min.
2. Tomb Raider (Sega Saturn) - 373 min. (#1)
3. Kirby's Adventure (NES/Famicom) - 355 min.
4. Legend of Zelda, The (NES/Famicom) - 335 min.
5. Sonic 3 & Knuckles [aka Complete Version] (Genesis) - 221 min.
6. Street Fighter Alpha - Warriors' Dreams (Arcade) - 210 min. (#7)
6. Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Arcade) - 210 min. (#7)
8. Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis) - 190 min.
9. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (Genesis) - 171 min.
10. Donkey Kong Jr. (NES/Famicom) - 157 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Deadly Duck (Atari 2600) - 155 min. (PN#10)
2. Spy Hunter (Arcade) - 132 min. (PN#2)
3. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 127 min. (PN#4)
4. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 97 min. (PN#6)
5. Boing! (Atari 2600) - 90 min.
6. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 83 min.
7. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 48 min.
8. Asteroids (Arcade) - 42 min.
9. Peril (WIP) (Atari 2600) - 31 min.
10. Enduro (Atari 2600) - 30 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. NES/Famicom (1216) (#4)
2. Arcade (716) (#3)
3. Atari 2600 (709) (#2)
4. Genesis (582) (#10)
5. Sega Saturn (553) (#1)
6. PlayStation (549)
7. TG-16/PC Engine (125)
8. Famicom Disk System (107)
9. Atari 7800 (91)
10. Atari 8-bit (27) (#9)

Tomb Raider on the Saturn gets pushed down from #1 to #2 place by ... Tomb Raider on the PlayStation! I don't have stats for how often that happens but it can't be too common. On the pre-NES list, Deadly Duck makes a strong advance from #10 to #1 in a week, and systems wise it was a good NES week, in particular if we consider the FDS that is listed separately but mostly has the same chipset.

Lara Croft also gets to celebrate as Tomb Raider (Sega Saturn) becomes member #403 on the 1000 Minute Club with 1349 minutes. The PlayStation version already was part of that club since 2017 and now sits at 3177 minutes, halfway to the 5000 Minute Club. This is the 6th game in the Tomb Raider series to surpass 1000 minutes of playing.

Very nice write-up this week Carlsson, it reminds me that I really should play the Saturn version of Tomb Raider some day since the PlayStation version is one of my all time favorite games. I did have a little correction to make though!

The Sonic game my household played this week, Sonic 3 Complete, is actually a different game from Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Sonic 3 Complete is a fan made remake of Sonic 3 & Knuckles with all sorts of enhancements and additional features that the original lacked. :)

• Like 3

Ok. Earlier on I read on some reputable site the following Genesis games exist:

Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic 1 & Knuckles [aka Blue Sphere]
Sonic 2 & Knuckles [aka Knuckles the Echidna]
Sonic 3 & Knuckles [aka Complete Version]
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3

So now there are two different Complete versions, or did the source I found mix things up? I'll fix that accordingly.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

Ok. Earlier on I read on some reputable site the following Genesis games exist:

Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic 1 & Knuckles [aka Blue Sphere]
Sonic 2 & Knuckles [aka Knuckles the Echidna]
Sonic 3 & Knuckles [aka Complete Version]
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3

So now there are two different Complete versions, or did the source I found mix things up? I'll fix that accordingly.

It's not wrong, in development Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles were originally intended to be one game but ended up getting divided into two separate games with a lock-on connector on the top of the Sonic & Knuckles cart to combine them into one complete game. So, when they're combined together they could be accurately described as the complete version of the game, but "Sonic 3 Complete" is the name of a fan made homebrew project that takes Sonic 3 & Knuckles and adds in new cutscenes along with restoring the original zone order that the two games were intended to have when they were originally in development as one game. Also added in was a bunch of tweaks, bug fixes, and little improvements here and there as well. Hopefully that clears things up!

• Like 3

Thanks. I will adjust your posted times for the past ... two weeks I think, will check Excel.

Edit: In weeks 11 and 12, you played Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and in weeks 15 and 16 you played this new Sonic 3 Complete, which as you described already on April 13 is a different game than the previous combination of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 with Sonic & Knuckles. This means I'll update the times for the past 2 weeks.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 3

Here are my times for this past week (April 20th through 26th)...

VIC-20:

Protector - 66 min.

As last week, this week I only played one game... Protector on the VIC-20. It took me several attempts to complete the missions, but I still lost 1 or 2 men more than necessary. I think I'll try the Atari 8-bit original next.

• Like 5

Atari 2600:
Bowling - 27 min.

Atari 8-bit:
Gridrunner - 16 min.
Los Angeles SWAT - 15 min.

For some reason I never got back to playing another round of the games in the previous round of the A8 HSC (Blueprint and Laser Gates), but now on Sunday evening I played a round of the ones in the current round. Unfortunately SWAT randomly crashes on my PAL 130XE after trying almost a dozen different versions, so either I'll try it on my NTSC 800 or resort to emulation which isn't how I prefer playing games.

That said, I had some late night Atari Flashback Portable gaming, getting back to Bowling. At the default game setting, I can top around 230 points in a series which is OK but not great.

I was kind of planning to play some MC-10 too but never got around dragging out the Alice, as I spent most of my spare time closing all the sales deals I've had on Facebook, packing and shipping stuff. I call it my Corona sales, fully expecting the world economy to crash in six months including the prices on retro games.

• Like 4

ATARI 2600:

Pac-Man - 20 minutes

Space Invaders - 1 minute

Squish 'Em - 24 minutes

ATARI 7800:

Pac-Man Collection - 118 minutes

EVIDENCES OF THE WEEK:

1) My 2600 Squish 'Em score on Game 1 B/B - So close to my personal best score (55K)

20200425_220417.thumb.jpg.3c98ec62bc542b379c2cca9cb4431060.jpg

2) My 7800 Pac-Man Collection gameplay footage, with Pac-Man Turbo and strawberry starting level

• Like 5

My (very minimal) time for the week:

Famicom Disk System:
Emi-chan no Moero Yakyuuken! - 44 min.

Spent a modest amount of time trying to beat the predecessor to the FDS pirate game I beat last week. I normally wouldn't bother since this game is utter garbage, but it's the only FDS game left on my "played through it with savestates, now try to beat it legitimately" list, so it'll bug me as long as it goes unbested.

• Like 5

Raided more tombs this week...

Playstation

Tomb Raider - 193 min (Finished up Tomb Raider on the Playstation.  Again, very similar to the Saturn version.  Water and save points are different graphically.  Someone in chat also said that they saw where the PS version had more save points or had them in a different location or something.  I didn't notice anything too far off, but didn't go area by area to compare.  Overall, it took less time to finish than the Saturn version, which makes sense, seeing as I knew what to do for the most part from having just played it.  But some areas actually took longer the second time around.  For example, The Great Pyramid, which is the last level, took me over 10 minutes longer the second time through.  But this is just based on the reported times at the end of level stats.  And those could be recorded differently... and I don't think they count all the time that I replayed stuff because I died.)

Tomb Raider 2 - 401 min (Started up Tomb Raider 2 right as I finished TR1.  Now, it's been a really long time since I played this one.  I had played TR1 a little here and there because I had that Saturn copy.  But I just recently bought TR2 on the Playstation 3 through the PSStore.  I had TR2 back in the day, but it got lost with most of my other PS1 games.  Anyway, going blind again.  Started off okay, then died and realised I hadn't saved yet.  Restarted and died again before hitting a save point.  Restarted a third time and got a little farther than I got the previous times... only to finally figure out that, unlike TR1, this Tomb Raider game didn't have set save points in the levels and I could save anywhere from the menu.  Sigh... wasted time. lol)

I posted that highlight of me figuring out the saving situation on YouTube.  ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I received a bunch of games in the mail last week and actually spent some time playing them this weekend...

Atari 2600:

Spaceman Splorf - 95 minutes - It's easy to learn and the game goes very quickly. At one point our whole family (of 5) was taking turns trying to beat the high score. Graphics are good, the music is catchy and you keep wanting to play just one more game. This would be a great party game. Our high score was 3,336.

Pitfall - 142 minutes - Pitfall has always been one of my favorite games but I'm feeling like I've somehow been underrating it. I hated going underground as a kid and always avoided it. After going 20 minutes and scoring 89k+ this weekend, I started using them and mapping the screens (I know I could just look it up). Pitfall is a combination of a platform, puzzle and tiny bit of RPG (since there's a quest to find all the treasures) all wrapped into one marvelous game.

Space Game - 30 minutes - I received this from AtariAge on Saturday. I like it. Well done with power ups that can help or hinder you. Lots of fun!

2048 2600 - 25 minutes - I've had this cart for awhile but haven't played it much. It plays well and is a bunch of fun if you like 2048.

1 vs 1 Baseball - 18 minutes - I enjoyed it. I like the aspect of just pitching or hitting and letting the fielding occur automatically. It's a bit like playing Mattel's handheld baseball game. I was leading 3-2 going into the 6th inning where I proceeded to hit 4 homeruns to blow the game wide open. I feel like this game could be even better with a few tweaks but it's still pretty fun. My favorite of the 1 vs 1 series.

1 vs 1 Basketball - 11 minutes - I was hoping for something a little closer to one-on-one Jordan vs Bird but it's a little like that but not quite there. If someone could take the best of Atari Basketball, Double Dunk and this game we'd have a big winner.

1 vs 1 Tennis - 5 minutes - It's okay but I think the other two tennis games are substantially better, especially graphically.

Pro Golf - 6 minutes - I didn't really spend enough time with this one to form an opinion. I need to get the instructions out and give it another shot.

Rootbeer Pong - 3 minutes - I couldn't really tell what I was doing so I need to find the instructions (it didn't come with any)

Atari 7800:

Rikki & Vicki - 21 minutes - I played Rikki solo. This game amazes me each time I play it. I wish there was someone else around who really wanted to spend a couple hours or more really getting into the two player version.

Super Cobra - 15 minutes - A lot of fun. I didn't even know this game existed.

Fat Axl - 7 minutes - A version of Fast Food on the 7800. I didn't know this existed until recently either.

Roof Pooper - 5 minutes - It's kind of fun throwing poop at people for about 5 minutes.

Lava Lamps and 8-track Theatre - 4 minutes - Not sure what was going on here. Another game that I need to find the instructions for the next time I play.

Turbo Grafx-16

Final Lap Twin - 35 minutes - I beat the champ of Aronto to get the 3rd (out of 6) special parts.

• Like 4

On Saturn collection:

Arcade Bubbles - 30 minutes.   I play rounds until I beat 200k.

Arcade Robotron - 30 minutes.  I play rounds until I beat 200k. 

Saturn Manx TT - 15 minutes.  The horizon tilt in first-player-perspective mode is WILD!  

Saturn NiGHTS - 60 minutes. Got a bunch of A's.

Saturn Virtua Racing - 30 minutes.  Played a while, then I'd had enough. :)

• Like 4

Arcade 

Spy Hunter 440 

Atari 2600 

Fall Down 49 

Kaboom Deluxe 19 

Oink 3

I've almost replaced every HS on the Spy Hunter machine I'm renting.  The last remaining score is at something like #7.  The game goes back this week, so I'm on a quest.   Just gotta get like 4 more higher scores to make every score MINE!

• Like 5

i spent some classic time between Atari arcade games, my usual Street Fighter Alpha, and some Streets of Rage 2 prepping for SoR 4 coming out soon.

Arcade:

Asteroids -- 67 minutes

Asteroids Deluxe -- 60 minutes

Centipede -- 44 minutes
Street Fighter Alpha -- 210 minutes
Street Fighter Alpha 2 -- 210 minutes

Tempest -- 40 minutes

Sega Genesis:

Streets of Rage 2 -- 276 minutes

• Like 4

It was a pretty darn fun week for gaming this week! First I finally beat the original Legend of Zelda for the first time in about a decade and started in on the second quest, though it wasn't long before the second quest got a bit tougher than I would have liked and I moved on to other games. I ended up playing a bunch of different games together with the misses over the course of the rest of the week, but the highlights were Pinball FX3: Aliens vs. Pinball that I picked up on sale on the Switch eShop and RoboCop Versus the Terminator on the Genesis.

Aliens vs Pinball is a compilation of three digital pinball tables themed after the movie Aliens, the game Alien: Isolation, and the Alien vs. Predator film. The Alien: Isolation and AvP tables were okay, but holy heck the Aliens table is awesome! You can definitely tell which table the vast majority of their development ideas and resources went into, because the Aliens table just plain rocks. The other highlight game for me this week, RoboCop Versus The Terminator, was a game that I absolutely adored as a kid but could never get farther than a few levels into. It's still every bit as fun to play today, and for the first time ever I actually beat the game this week! Man does it ever feel good when you can vanquish a childhood gaming nemesis! :D

WyvQKaW.jpg

Ineligible (All Nintendo Switch)

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 765 minutes

Dogurai - 105 minutes

Pinball FX3: Aliens vs Pinball - 150 minutes

NES (Played on Nintendo Switch Online)

The Legend of Zelda - 555 minutes

Sega Genesis

Predator 2 - 42 minutes

RoboCop Versus The Terminator - 167 minutes

Sonic 3D Blast: Director's Cut - 49 minutes

Sega Master System