IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2020 (Season 13)

carlsson

Here's the summary for Week 17, running from April 20 - 26. We logged 4518 minutes of eligible play, playing 54 games on a total of 11 systems.

Top 10:

1. Legend of Zelda, The (NES/Famicom) - 555 min. (#4)
2. Spy Hunter (Arcade) - 440 min.
3. Tomb Raider II (PlayStation) - 401 min.
4. Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis) - 304 min. (#8)
5. Street Fighter Alpha - Warriors' Dreams (Arcade) - 210 min. (#6)
5. Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Arcade) - 210 min. (#6)
7. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 199 min.
8. Tomb Raider (PlayStation) - 193 min. (#1)
9. RoboCop vs. the Terminator (Genesis) - 167 min.
10. Dolphin (Atari 2600) - 155 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Spy Hunter (Arcade) - 440 min. (PN#2)
2. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 199 min. (PN#4)
3. Dolphin (Atari 2600) - 155 min.
4. Pitfall! (Atari 2600) - 142 min.
5. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 118 min. (PN#6)
6. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 116 min. (PN#3)
7. Spaceman Splorf (Atari 2600) - 95 min.
8. Asteroids (Arcade) - 67 min. (PN#8)
9. Protector (VIC-20) - 66 min.
10. Asteroids Deluxe (Arcade) - 60 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Arcade (1071) (#2)
2. Atari 2600 (1010) (#3)
3. PlayStation (594) (#6)
4. NES/Famicom (573) (#1)
5. Genesis (562) (#4)
6. Atari 7800 (170) (#9)
7. Sega Saturn (165) (#5)
8. Sega Master System (120)
9. TG-16/PC Engine (112) (#7)
10. VIC-20 (66)

This week, Lara is trumped by Zelda and an unnamed agent (perhaps Alec like in the 2001 remake?) which in his turn drives the G-6155 Interceptor long enough to take the pre-NES title by a wide margin. Together with the two Street Fighter Alpha games and a few more, the Arcade platform takes the systems title just ahead of the Atari 2600.

Asteroids (Arcade) becomes #404 in the 1000 Minute Club with a total of 1058 minutes while at the same time Tomb Raider II (PlayStation) enters the 5000 Minute Club with 5162 minutes in total.

Also the classic tracker now has just over 9300 games listed (though a handful of those with 0 minutes played).

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Atari 2600:
Super Breakout - 18 min.

Atari 8-bit:
Los Angeles SWAT - 52 min.

So earlier this week I found that either my Starplex Deluxe Video Controller sometimes crosses lines, or simply that I accidentally push contradicting directions at the same time, which caused L.A. SWAT to crash randomly. First I swapped to my Atari 800 with no difference, then I tried a different joystick and voila the issue was gone. Even after swapping back to my 130XE, the game plays as it should using e.g. a Tac-2 instead. I don't really like to use a "shaft style" joystick but I'll have to do for now. Also I played a little late bedtime Super Breakout on the AFP.

On an unrelated note, my PC worked fine all through Thursday night. Then I had Friday off and didn't have it turned on until later in the evening, when I found it would boot with no image. I spent some time on Saturday trying to restore it to an earlier point of a known good state, which failed the first few times and I was afraid a reinstall would be in order but thankfully I managed to restore it to December 26, 2019 and worked from there to reinstall the network card, apply all updates and reinstall software I have installed since then. Probably I should take a backup of important docs (e.g. like the Excel sheets in this tracker) in case things go bad again.

• Like 5

Here are my times for this past week (April 27th through May 3rd) on classic systems...

Atari 800:

Protector (Synapse) - 43 min.

Protector (Crystalware) - 80 min. in 3 sessions

Commodore 64:

Protector II - 42 min.

TI-99:

Protector II - 132 min. in 4 sessions

This week I played more versions of Protector... first the Atari 800 version by Synapse, then the one by Crystalware which is the actual original version while the Synapse version has been changed a bit (made easier). Then I played the TI-99 version and last the C-64 one. Most versions except for the C-64 one have some quirkiness in scrolling and game speed. The Atari 800 versions start scrolling very slowly as you start a life and then gradually get faster. The TI-99 version is inconsistent in speed in that your ship moves slowly, but speeds up greatly while shooting (!), and the speed is yet different while the level is scrolling. The C-64 is the most consistent one in this respect. The versions are all a bit different from each other also in the level design. They basically play the same title music, but while the Atari and C-64 versions stay monophonic, the TI-99 one becomes polyphonic later on (the piece used is the Solfeggietto in C minor (H 220, Wq 117:2)). This is unusual for Atarisoft because their other titles mostly had rather poor sound compared to other systems' versions. Well, this probably was by a different programmer who probably used TI's Editor/Assembler package to develop the game since some of the sound effects are very similar to those of Tombstone City whose source code was supplied with the E/A package.

So which version is the best? I think I liked the C-64 one most for its consistency, although on that one you sometimes have difficulties picking up people to rescue.

• Like 6

ATARI 2600:

Squish 'Em - 78 minutes

ATARI 7800:

Pac-Man Collection - 86 minutes

EVIDENCES OF THE WEEK:

1) My new high scores on 2600 Squish 'Em, Game 1 B/B

20200428_213013.thumb.jpg.19c56410c6782a097e903d460c60c46b.jpg

20200428_215024.thumb.jpg.d92695eb73b7dba98cba917061b174be.jpg

20200430_222458.thumb.jpg.d461b6e83a22008721a9db928e6782a3.jpg

20200430_222508.thumb.jpg.3882fbe34b0099eafbfc8da175632928.jpg

2) My Pac-Man Collection gameplay footages of the week

Ms. Pac-Attack (normal speed), cherries level

Pac-Man (fast speed), orange 2 level

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 6

My times for the week:

TRS-80 MC-10:
An Adventure in Williamsburg - 56 min.

Famicom Disk System:
Emi-chan no Moero Yakyuuken! - 15 min.

Not much for me, but we did beat a text adventure on an emulated MC-10. It's a very basic BASIC game, but had one or two clever twists.

• Like 6

Arcade

Asteroids Deluxe 72 <- I rarely break 30k, but I managed a high score of 31,300 this week

Spy Hunter 361

The Spy Hunter machine went back to the arcade.  I had a lot of fun with it and managed to set all of the high scores before it left:

SpyHunterScores.thumb.jpg.55136a000162b933eea07b2f742a40bc.jpg

• Like 6

My times are down this week.

Atari 2600:

Spaceman Splorf - 14 minutes - I just keeping wanting to try one-more-game, well at least until my finger gets tired. My high score is still 3,336

Pitfall - 25 minutes - I mapped a couple of early tunnels, tested them and then played a full game. Even though I picked up a money bag on the very last screen I only beat my previous high score by about 10 points (meaning I hit one log for a slightly shorter period of time). I must have passed a treasure during the second tunnel. Ugh!

• Like 5

Another good week for gaming around here this past week, with a pretty heavy focus on the Sega Genesis. Outside of my usual daily routine in Animal Crossing I spent just about all week playing either Kid Chameleon or Streets of Rage 2. First the misses and I did a full play through of Streets of Rage 2 on easy difficulty and beat the game (after failing to complete it last week on normal difficulty), then with a bit more practice under my belt I went back and played through it a couple more times on normal. The spousal unit went back to revisit it a few times too, because it's just such a fun and really darn well designed game. I'm pretty sure Streets of Rage 2 may be my new all time favorite beat 'em up! 

The other big game of the week, Kid Chameleon, was one of my absolute favorite games as a kid but I never managed to beat it back then; mostly because the game is a ridiculous 72 levels long (not including the 30'ish secret levels!) with no saves of any kind, and it's no slouch in the difficulty department either. It's still just as fun to play today as it was when I was growing up though, so I've kind of made it my personal mission to beat Kid Chameleon for the first time this year. Thankfully I've got a few handy resources to help me out this time around! The first is the save state functionality on the Mega SD, so I don't have to spend 10 hours playing through the game in one go and can just save when I'm ready to stop playing and come back to it later when I have the time, and the other is a very useful level map that I found on the Kid Chameleon wiki page: http://images.wikia.com/kidchameleon/images/0/0a/Map.svg

With those two tools at my disposal I think I should be able to beat Kid Chameleon with some practice and perseverance, but times up for this week so striving for that accomplishment will have to wait until next week :)

Ineligible (All Nintendo Switch)

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 575 minutes

Pinball FX3: Aliens vs Pinball - 20 minutes

Sega Genesis

Kid Chameleon - 387 minutes

NBA Jam: Tournament Edition - 17 minutes

Streets of Rage 2 - 477 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,476 minutes (24 hours 36 minutes) [881 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Sega Genesis: 881 minutes

Nintendo Switch: 595 minutes

Edited by Skippy B. Coyote
  • Like 4

Here's the summary for Week 18, running from April 27 - May 3. We logged 3450 minutes of eligible play, playing 33 games on a total of 13 systems.

Top 10:

1. Tomb Raider II (PlayStation) - 722 min. (#3)
2. Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis) - 611 min. (#4)
3. Kid Chameleon (Genesis) - 387 min.
4. Spy Hunter (Arcade) - 361 min. (#2)
5. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 162 min. (#7)
6. Protector II (TI-99/4A) - 132 min.
7. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 102 min.
8. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 86 min.
9. Protector (Crystalware) (Atari 8-bit) - 80 min.
10. Squish 'em (Atari 2600) - 78 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Spy Hunter (Arcade) - 361 min. (PN#1)
2. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 162 min. (PN#2)
3. Protector II (TI-99/4A) - 132 min.
4. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 102 min.
5. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 86 min. (PN#5)
6. Protector (Crystalware) (Atari 8-bit) - 80 min.
7. Squish 'em (Atari 2600) - 78 min.
8. Asteroids Deluxe (Arcade) - 72 min. (PN#10)
9. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 71 min. (PN#6)
10. An Adventure in Williamsburg (Tandy MC-10) - 56 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Genesis (1103) (#5)
2. PlayStation (722) (#3)
3. Atari 2600 (531) (#2)
4. Arcade (433) (#1)
5. Atari 8-bit (175)
6. TI-99/4A (132)
7. Sega Saturn (94) (#7)
8. Atari 7800 (86) (#6)
9. Tandy MC-10 (56)
10. C64 (42)

Two sequels battle for the title this week, in which Tomb Raider II wins over Streets of Rage 2 despite the later has more contributors. The most played pre-NES game yet again becomes Spy Hunter on the arcade, though with fewer other arcade games played this week, the systems title goes to the Genesis.

None of the games exceed the 1000, 5000 or 10000 minute levels.

If anyone was late to post their times, feel free to do so and I'll include them with next week.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Don't know that TR2 will make the top 10 next week.  lol... I kinda soft locked myself on the game.  Health pickups are really rare and I got to the point where I had run out and nothing was dropping them.  Soo... on my last save, I have very little health, no Medi-packs, and about five guys about to attack me.  I could go back and restart an earlier level and try to get back through it with more health or whatever, but I think I'm getting burned out on it.  I stopped and started up Tomb Raider 3 and was starting to get frustrated with it, so that may be it for my TR run.

• Like 3

On 5/3/2020 at 10:12 PM, agb said:

Times for the week 

atari 2600

eggomania 102 mins

entombed 10 mins

seawolf 37 mins

solar fox 71 mins

all good

Hey AGB, I don't know if you are on Facebook, but I thought of you when I saw this:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/Atari2600homebrew/permalink/340394376381735/

That link is to download Solar Fox Remix, but homebrewer Scott Dayton (aka @neotokeo2001) is offering to get a .bin with your initials in the game!  Here the text from his post:

SOLAR FOX REMIX Custom Initials (OFFER ENDS 05-12)

Anyone who wants a custom BIN with their initials as the first field just comment, "Custom Solar Fox **", ** being the two initials and I will message you a custom BIN as soon as I can depending on free time..

We did this in the past but we have a few thousand more members now.

SOLAR FOX REMIX - Get ready for all new levels of solar cell collecting. Earth needs ENERGY, get out there and bring it back!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My times for the week...

Playstation

Tomb Raider 2 - 114 min (Gave up on it, as referenced above.  I'm not completely locked out on it, I could go back and replay earlier levels to try to take less damage and conserve health pickups until later, but it was really just starting to wear on my brain, I think.  I got to the 12th level, so about two thirds of the way through.  I've beaten it before, but I think I cheated using a game shark.  lol)

Tomb Raider 3 - 180 min (So I immediately fired up Tomb Raider 3 thinking it would be a nice change of pace.  lol...  I gave up after three hours.  Just wasn't feeling it anymore.  Think I'm just burned out on Tomb Raider games for a while.)

TurboGrafx - 16

Blazing Lazers - 30 min (Wasn't taking this one too seriously.  Played it as something to do.  Don't remember how far I got, but not as far as I could.)

R-Type - 90 min (Got to the 4th level boss again.  Once.  Just getting past the 3rd level is still kind of a challenge, especially since I insist on getting to the 4th level on my first ship.  Anyway, need to find a good way to practice that 4th level.  I think I'm getting better and learning more of it, but since it sometimes takes a while to get there, it's hard to practice much.)

N64?  PC?

Super Mario 64 PC - 435 min (Not sure how/where you want to put this one.  It's the PC version of Mario 64 that was just recently released by someone.  Not an official version, and I'm sure Nintendo has already been hard at work shutting it down.  Apparently he just took the raw code or files or whatever and recompiled them or something to make it a PC game.  I haven't really researched it much, honestly.  But it works great.  No emulator, just an exe file that you double click and Mario's running.  Anyway, I played until I got 70 stars and went and beat Bowser.)

• Like 4

Atari 8-bit:
Blocks on Legs - 21 min.
Gridrunner - 9 min.
Gyruss - 7 min.
Los Angeles SWAT - 9 min.

(I'll look up that Super Mario 64, it seems strange that even higher level source code in e.g. C would compile straight out of the box into a PC executable, unless there is a Nintendo 64 translation layer library baked into the executable)

Edit: It seems in this particular case the source code was found, and all calls to the N64 graphics hardware was replaced by calls to DirectX 12 (which was released in 2015, so in any case your times belong to the modern tracker) in order to generate 4K resolution. Not shortly afterwards, Nintendo's lawyers sent letters demanding that all evidence of this game must be removed from the Internet: sources, binaries, YouTube videos, Reddit threads etc.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, digdugnate said:

Atari 2600:

Pac-Man 8K -- 67 minutes

Would that be the 8K version by DINTAR816 or the 8K version by Nukey Shay? (Oh, how I wished homebrewers when making new versions of old games gave those strictly unique names instead of borrowing upon legacy titles)

• Like 2

Here are my times for this past week (May 4th through 10th) on classic systems...

Atari 800:

Protector (Synapse) - 67 min. in 3 sessions

Commodore 64:

Protector II - 202 min. in 5 sessions

TI-99/4A:

Protector II - 164 min. in 3 sessions

This week I continued to play various versions of Protector. I managed to complete the easiest missions so that I've rescued all the men with ships remaining. I already went through details concerning the different versions of the game. The TI-99 version does get tougher in further levels (which you have to select by hnd from the title page though).

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
improved paragraph formatting
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, carlsson said:

Would that be the 8K version by DINTAR816 or the 8K version by Nukey Shay? (Oh, how I wished homebrewers when making new versions of old games gave those strictly unique names instead of borrowing upon legacy titles)

the DINTAR816 one- :)  I updated my post to make it accurate.

• Like 3