IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2020 (Season 13)

carlsson

On 9/29/2020 at 6:35 PM, Nintendo64 said:

It seems like the both you of really like to play the Atari 2600 allot. I really need to try to play some of the Atari compilation games I have this week.

The 2600 is my favorite system. I have lots of systems in my house but the 2600 is my favorite. I think competing in the high score club is the best part of playing the 2600. So much fun competing with others on this site. Give it a shot, you won’t regret it. 

• Like 2

On 9/30/2020 at 4:29 AM, carlsson said:

Yes, released in 1978 so just after the Atari 2600. Some people claim it came out already in 1976 but that mostly is a combination of misunderstanding and urban legends. Actually it is a whole family of software compatible consoles in the 1292 Advanced Programmable Video System (APVS). I don't think they either of those were sold in America though. These also are predecessors of the Emerson Arcadia 2001 which has slightly better graphics but otherwise very similar hardware.

The Tandy MC-10 is a home computer released in 1983, with the intention to compete on the very lowest end of the market. Unfortunately there already were computers on the market that were both cheaper and better, so it was relatively short lived. Tandy already had the Color Computer series which was higher end. While the two models are not directly compatible, they're similar enough to let some software be portable.

Thanks for that information, as this is very interesting to know. I know little to nothing about any consoles released before the NES, and I appreciate you taking the time to explain this information about these two machines.

17 hours ago, Atarian7 said:

:lol:  It's all I have.  I might try some other systems someday, but like I said before, there are lots of good Atari 2600 games I never got to try when I was a kid.

Also there are some very good homebrew games and more constantly being made.

This week I will definitely try to play some of this console. I always like the homebrew market because it keeps old systems alive with new content.

7 hours ago, agb said:

The 2600 is my favorite system. I have lots of systems in my house but the 2600 is my favorite. I think competing in the high score club is the best part of playing the 2600. So much fun competing with others on this site. Give it a shot, you won’t regret it. 

Thanks for that information, I should really try to attain more Atari games, and I have been given some good links in the past. I currently only have compilation games for the Atari on other systems that I own.

On 9/29/2020 at 7:12 PM, wongojack said:

The Collectorvision Phoenix is a homebrew console!  Pretty amazing right?  It plays original Coleco carts as well as homebrews that require the Super Game Module or the FA18 upgrade chip.  You can order a Phoenix if you want to from the Collectorvision website.  They are going to do another run of Xhundred consoles to give another set of people to have access.

That is pretty neat. I really like to play homebrews and hacks of games because people take the time to recreate games for systems that they really like to play. This homebrew console sounds pretty interesting, and thanks for that information pertaining to it.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 3

Classic gaming...

Jaguar

Tempest 2000 - 281 min (My favorite game I have for my Jaguar.  The "Top Guns" screen is full of my scores... except the top one.  I just can't seem to break the 500,000 point barrier.)

Ultra Vortek - 30 min (Looked up some moves for Volcana, who I always play as, and actually got past the "practice" difficulty.  I never play fighting games and joke that this is the only one I've ever streamed.)

tempest scores.png

Ultra Vortek.png

• Like 4

ATARI 2600:

Centipede - 27 minutes

Dishaster - 76 minutes

Laser Gates (for HSC) - 40 minutes

Rampage - 1 minute

Space Invaders - 41 minutes

ATARI 7800:

Choplifter (for HSC) - 10 minutes

EVIDENCE OF THE WEEK: My Dishaster gameplay footage, games 3 and 4

(of note: the cartridge inserted on my 7800 console is named Mr. Chin)

• Like 3

As promised a while back, SG-1000 Choplifter is here! So is Master System Choplifter! One controls much better and the other looks much better. Which version do YOU prefer? Also spent a decent amount of time with an unexpected Saturn find, which cut into my times for modern side this time. Speaking of modern, I need to go calculate my times for StarCraft II and Mary Skelter so I can post them.

SG-1000
Choplifter - 25

Mark III/Master System
Choplifter - 20

Saturn
Akumajou Dracula X ~Gekka no Yasoukyoku~ - 337

The romanized title on the spine actually says AKUMAJO DRACULA X ~GEKKA NO YASOUKYOKU~ just like that in all capitals with the 2 ~ thingies on either side, but as I prefer to actually write ou as ou instead of o and just pronounce it as ou, as it's supposed to be, I'll use the ou romanization here instead. Interesting that they put the long ou in Yasoukyoku but not in Akumajou.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei - 2
Princess Crown - 23
Thunder Force V - 8

Neo Geo AES/MVS
Garou Densetsu Special - 11
Samurai Spirits - 14

• Like 3

Here are my times for this past week (September 28th through October 4th) for classic systems:

Arcade:

Jr. Pac-Man - 85 min. in 7 sessions

Mario Bros. - 19 min.

I got to play a bit this week, though I try to keep my sessions short with only 1 or 2 games each. I played Jr. Pac-Man a few times and Mario Bros. once (which was a single game).

I also looked into more modern games, especially Factorio, but I think this would use up too much of my time for now.

• Like 3

Here's mine:

Atari 2600

Tapper- 8 minutes

Taz- 7 minutes

The Smurfs Rescue at Gargamel's Castle- 6 minutes

Q*bert- 7 minutes

Burgertime- 8 minutes

Frogger (Starpath version)- 6 1/2 minutes

Star Wars: Empire strikes back- 10 minutes

California games- 9 minutes

MS-DOS

Fallout 1- 18 minutes

Game Boy

Megaman Dr. Wily's revenge- 10 minutes

NES

Klax (unlicensed)- 10 minutes

Megaman 4- 14 minutes

Dragon Warrior 1- 16 minutes

Pacmania (unlicensed)- 10 minutes

Big Nose the Caveman (unlicensed)- 7 minutes

NARC- 8 1/2 minutes

• Like 3

Atari 2600:

Dragonstomper - 65 minutes - I've never played this game before and wanted to see what this RPG for the 2600 looked like. I thought it was interesting while my brother was totally uninterested. Anyhow, I made it to the final stage but never reached the dragon. The poison darts kept coming out and taking my strength until they finally killed me. I'll probably give it another shot sometime in the near future but will spend more time acquiring gold so I can buy more heals.

• Like 4

Colecovision:

Antarctic Adventure 51

Front Line (Standard Controller Edition) 24

JETPAC 8

King & Balloon 14

Monkey Academy 34

Moonsweeper 25

Pacar 9

River Raid 9

Skiing 3

Smurf Gargamel's Castle 13

Subroc Super Game 7

Sydney Hunter Caverns of Death 117

Sydney Hunter Sacred Tribe 36

Threshold 30

Time Pilot 33

Txupinazo! 15

Zaxxon Super Game 67

Lots of time in SHCOD, but I got to one part where the jumps off of ropes with a rising lava floor was really hard.  I guess I may try again someday, but I also might go looking for a code to just skip that level.  A surprise in this list was Monkey Academy.  It is a game that combines arithmetic and platforming.  I was skeptical, but I really kind of enjoyed doing division problems and simultaneously playing a simplistic version of DK Jr.

• Like 3

Back to posting on time this week! :lol: There isn't a whole ton to share for my household this week. I spent most of the week doing wht I'm pretty sure was my third play through of Alien: Isolation for the year, though this time was the time that I had ever completed the game on Hard difficulty. It was a ton a of fun, if not a bit exhausting on the adrenal glands, but that's a good part of what makes Alien: Isolation my all time favorite video game. With most horror games you can play through them 2 or 3 times, learn where all the items and enemy locations are, then feel fairly relaxed and at ease on all future play throughs. Not with this game. No matter how many times I play Alien: Isolation it always feels like a genuinely frightening experience that never lets the player relax at all through it's 30 odd hour story; and every minute of those 30 hours feels like a master class in horror game design. 

Outside the Alien fun/anxiety, I also put in a bit of time with the current Atari 2600 High Score Club game and did a play through of Mortal Kombat on the Genesis with Sonya Blade. She's a character I rarely play as but she's got a pretty cool move set and I'm making it a point to practice and get skilled with every character in the game, since I'm hoping to find and pick up an Arcade1Up Mortal Kombat cabinet (with riser) as a Christmas treat for myself this year. :)

Ineligible

Alien: Isolation (Nintendo Switch) - 1,715 minutes 

Atari 2600

Laser Gates - 59 minutes

Sega Genesis

Mortal Kombat - 32 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,806 minutes (30 hours 6 minutes) [91 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 1,715 minutes

Atari 2600: 59 minutes

Sega Genesis: 32 minutes

• Like 4

On 10/4/2020 at 5:19 PM, Steven Pendleton said:

Akumajou Dracula X ~Gekka no Yasoukyoku~ - 337

The romanized title on the spine actually says AKUMAJO DRACULA X ~GEKKA NO YASOUKYOKU~ just like that in all capitals with the 2 ~ thingies on either side, but as I prefer to actually write ou as ou instead of o and just pronounce it as ou, as it's supposed to be, I'll use the ou romanization here instead. Interesting that they put the long ou in Yasoukyoku but not in Akumajou.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this any different from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night in Japanese version? I.e. would there be merits to list these two versions separately (which isn't uncommon in the tracker) or under the same entry? Input from anyone is welcome.

Wikipedia writes this, which perhaps merits two entries in case the western version of the same game doesn't have the same player character choices.

In 1998, a port of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was released in Japan for the Sega Saturn. In this version, Maria Renard is both a fully playable character as well as a boss fight, and Richter is available to play at the start of the game.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 2

I didn't play much this week, but like I stated last week, I wanted to try out some atari games on the compilation discs I have.

PS1

Atari Anniversary Edition Redux -                                                   25 minutes         I played black widow, which I really enjoyed. This game is a fun shooter, that I used a PS2 controller with, where you press the buttons to shoot in different directions.  I also played Centipede, another shooter which I really enjoyed  but I was not good at this game and found it pretty difficult as well. Lastly I played pong, which I really got into, and can understand how people could get  into the competitiveness of this game when it was first released.

Midway Presents Arcades Greatest Hits The Atari Collection 2 -   10 minutes  I played Roadblasters which is a really fun game where you drive around shooting cars and trying to obtain gasoline to keep progressing through the levels. This game kind of reminded me of Spyhunter, another game that I really enjoy, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Doesnt Count, but I also played the PS2 Activision Anothology for     10 minutes.  I played Moonsweeper which is on the Atari 2600, and I really enjoyed this game. This was a really fun game that I wish I found a long time ago, and I will definitely be revisiting this game.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, carlsson said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this any different from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night in Japanese version? I.e. would there be merits to list these two versions separately (which isn't uncommon in the tracker) or under the same entry? Input from anyone is welcome.

Wikipedia writes this, which perhaps merits two entries in case the western version of the same game doesn't have the same player character choices.

Gekka no Yasoukyoku is the Japanese subtitle for all versions of Symphony of the Night. Saturn version never got released outside Japan and as such that specific version only has a Japanese title, which is why I used it instead of Symphony of the Night.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Nintendo64 said:

I didn't play much this week, but like I stated last week, I wanted to try out some atari games on the compilation discs I have.

PS1

Atari Anniversary Edition Redux -                                                   25 minutes         I played black widow, which I really enjoyed. This game is a fun shooter, that I used a PS2 controller with, where you press the buttons to shoot in different directions.  I also played Centipede, another shooter which I really enjoyed  but I was not good at this game and found it pretty difficult as well. Lastly I played pong, which I really got into, and can understand how people could get  into the competitiveness of this game when it was first released.

Midway Presents Arcades Greatest Hits The Atari Collection 2 -   10 minutes  I played Roadblasters which is a really fun game where you drive around shooting cars and trying to obtain gasoline to keep progressing through the levels. This game kind of reminded me of Spyhunter, another game that I really enjoy, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Doesnt Count, but I also played the PS2 Activision Anothology for     10 minutes.  I played Moonsweeper which is on the Atari 2600, and I really enjoyed this game. This was a really fun game that I wish I found a long time ago, and I will definitely be revisiting this game.

With compilations like this where they are emulating (or attempting to emulate) the original system, we usually just log the time for the original game and the original platform.

BTW Black Widow is brilliant if you can play it as a twin stick game.  It is an overlooked classic.  Centipede on the other hand is a classic that NOT underrated - very well known.

The Activision Anthology for PS2 is pretty awesomesauce.  I love the soundtrack that plays during that one, and the game selection is great.  I still go back and play it every once in a while even though the emulation is a bit outdated now.  If you have that collection, you should definitely try more of the Activision classics for the 2600.  Some of my top games are HERO, Megamania, Seaquest, Pitfall!, Pitfall II, Frostbite, Beamrider, and Chopper Command, but there are a ton of great games on there including some of the other Imagic classics like Demon Attack, Atlantis, Cosmic Arc and . . . well Moonsweeper.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Saturn version never got released outside Japan

Ok, I see. The thing is someone previously tracked this game (with English title) for the Saturn, which is why I wondered if there would be a difference. No problem listing it separately, but if there really doesn't exist an US/European version of Castlevania: Symphony for the Night for Sega Saturn, that entry should be modified.

Edit: This page agrees with you so I suppose some editing of the tracker is in order.

https://castlevania.fandom.com/wiki/Castlevania:_Symphony_of_the_Night/Saturn

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Nintendo64 said:

I wanted to try out some atari games on the compilation discs I have

Like Wongojack commented, in cases where we can assume full emulation, we try to list games per original format. Sometimes it is difficult to tell if games are just remade to look like the original ones rather than fully emulated, and then are listed on the system they're played (i.e. as part of a compilation). Since you played multiple games on the Atari Redux compilation, I added it as a whole, while the other two I added as Arcade and Atari 2600 separately.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

Ok, I see. The thing is someone previously tracked this game (with English title) for the Saturn, which is why I wondered if there would be a difference. No problem listing it separately, but if there really doesn't exist an US/European version of Castlevania: Symphony for the Night for Sega Saturn, that entry should be modified.

Edit: This page agrees with you so I suppose some editing of the tracker is in order.

https://castlevania.fandom.com/wiki/Castlevania:_Symphony_of_the_Night/Saturn

Yeah, it only got released in Japan. When the Saturn version was released, the Saturn was long dead outside Japan and the Dreamcast released in Japan only a few months after this version of this game did, so it's not really surprising that it never made it overseas.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, carlsson said:

Ok, I traced down the previous entry to BurritoBeans in 2017. The entry will be reversed with the Jap title first and the Western title in parenthesis. Thanks for clearing this up.

Sure, no problem. I know I'm always playing all sorts of Japanese variants of games, both old and modern, and playing Japanese versions specifically whether there is an international version or not, so I'm not surprised if there's some confusion occasionally~

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wongojack said:

With compilations like this where they are emulating (or attempting to emulate) the original system, we usually just log the time for the original game and the original platform.

BTW Black Widow is brilliant if you can play it as a twin stick game.  It is an overlooked classic.  Centipede on the other hand is a classic that NOT underrated - very well known.

The Activision Anthology for PS2 is pretty awesomesauce.  I love the soundtrack that plays during that one, and the game selection is great.  I still go back and play it every once in a while even though the emulation is a bit outdated now.  If you have that collection, you should definitely try more of the Activision classics for the 2600.  Some of my top games are HERO, Megamania, Seaquest, Pitfall!, Pitfall II, Frostbite, Beamrider, and Chopper Command, but there are a ton of great games on there including some of the other Imagic classics like Demon Attack, Atlantis, Cosmic Arc and . . . well Moonsweeper.

I really enjoyed Black Widow as well. The funny thing is after I played the game, I wondered what the original control mapping for this game was. Are you saying for the Atari 2600 they use two controllers? One joystick on the first controller to move, and the other joystick and the second controller to shoot the weapon in whatever direction you pointed it in?

Its also funny that you pointed out the soundtrack, because that was one of the first things I noticed while playing Moonsweeper. I thought the track playing was really good and it instantly gave an 80's feel to the game. Thanks for the other suggestions, I will try some of them out this week.

5 hours ago, carlsson said:

Like Wongojack commented, in cases where we can assume full emulation, we try to list games per original format. Sometimes it is difficult to tell if games are just remade to look like the original ones rather than fully emulated, and then are listed on the system they're played (i.e. as part of a compilation). Since you played multiple games on the Atari Redux compilation, I added it as a whole, while the other two I added as Arcade and Atari 2600 separately.

That is good to know. So should I list it as (PS1) Atari Anniversary Edition Redux - (black widow), or should I have just listed it as Atari 2600 - Black widow? I just want to make it easier on you to tally the total game times for the week. Thanks for adding up the game minutes for the week, I really appreciate it.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 2