IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2020 (Season 13)

carlsson

From what I could tell, the Atari Anniversary Edition Redux (PS1) actually plays the Atari arcade versions of the included games, not the Atari 2600 versions so if you want to list minutes separately, you would divide those 25 min into the arcade versions of Black Widow, Centipede and Pong.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nintendo64 said:

I really enjoyed Black Widow as well. The funny thing is after I played the game, I wondered what the original control mapping for this game was. Are you saying for the Atari 2600 they use two controllers? One joystick on the first controller to move, and the other joystick and the second controller to shoot the weapon in whatever direction you pointed it in?

Its also funny that you pointed out the soundtrack, because that was one of the first things I noticed while playing Moonsweeper. I thought the track playing was really good and it instantly gave an 80's feel to the game. Thanks for the other suggestions, I will try some of them out this week.

That is good to know. So should I list it as (PS1) Atari Anniversary Edition Redux - (black widow), or should I have just listed it as Atari 2600 - Black widow? I just want to make it easier on you to tally the total game times for the week. Thanks for adding up the game minutes for the week, I really appreciate it.

41 minutes ago, carlsson said:

From what I could tell, the Atari Anniversary Edition Redux (PS1) actually plays the Atari arcade versions of the included games, not the Atari 2600 versions so if you want to list minutes separately, you would divide those 25 min into the arcade versions of Black Widow, Centipede and Pong.

Regarding Black Widow - it was never released for the 2600, 5200, 8-bit computers, Colecovision, 7800, or any other home system that I know about.  I've only ever played it as an arcade game.  The original control scheme was like Robotron where the left stick controlled movement and the right stick allowed you to fire in 8 directions.  I've had a lot of fun playing it in MAME with a real arcade control panel and in the Xbox 360 Gameroom where you can use the twin sticks on the 360 controller.

If it was me, I would have just listed that time individually for the games maybe like:

Arcade

Black Widow 15

Centipede 10

Pong N

Road Blasters N

Atari 2600

Moonsweeper N

• Like 4

Here's the summary for Week 40, running from September 28 - October 4. We logged 2862 minutes of eligible play, playing 72 games on a total of 16 systems.

Top 10:

1. Akumajō Dracula X: Gekka no Yasōkyoku (JP version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night) (Sega Saturn) - 337 min.

2. Tempest 2000 (Atari Jaguar) - 281 min.

3. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 189 min. (#8)

4. Beamrider (Atari 2600) - 121 min.
5. Pac-Man Championship Edition (NES/Famicom) - 120 min.
6. Sydney Hunter and the Caverns of Death (ColecoVision) - 117 min.
7. Laser Gates (Atari 2600) - 104 min.
8. Bases Loaded (NES/Famicom) - 103 min.
9. Pac-Man Arcade (tep392) (Atari 8-bit) - 90 min.
10. Jr. Pac-Man (Arcade) - 85 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 189 min. (PN#4)
2. Beamrider (Atari 2600) - 121 min.
3. Sydney Hunter and the Caverns of Death (ColecoVision) - 117 min.
4. Laser Gates (Atari 2600) - 104 min.
5. Pac-Man Arcade (tep392) (Atari 8-bit) - 90 min.
6. Jr. Pac-Man (Arcade) - 85 min.
7. Dishaster (Atari 2600) - 76 min.
8. Zaxxon Super Game (ColecoVision) - 67 min. (PN#10)
9. Dragonstomper (Atari 2600) - 65 min.
10. Antarctic Adventure (ColecoVision) - 51 min.
10. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 51 min. (PN#3)

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (789) (#1)
2. NES/Famicom (497) (#2)
3. ColecoVision (495) (#8)
4. Sega Saturn (370)
5. Atari Jaguar (311)
6. Arcade (114)
7. Atari 8-bit (106)
8. Genesis (32) (#9)
9. Neo Geo AES/MVS (25) (#4)
9. PlayStation (25)
9. SG-1000 (25)

The game that up until yesterday simply was listed as Castlevania: Symphony of the Night but now also is listed under its Japanese title, becomes the most played this week, with Tempest 2000 in a strong second place. The pre-NES title is grabbed by Solar Fox ahead of Beamrider and Sydney Hunter and the Caverns of Death. For another week the Atari 2600 dominates the systems list, though second place is a very tight race between NES/Famicom and ColecoVision, only two minutes apart!

No new entries to the 1000, 5000, 10000 minute clubs. Overall most numbers are almost identical to last week: 10 minutes more played this week, 2 more games, same number of systems.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So, yeah, I mentioned before over on modern side that there is something that I find interesting to classify as modern or old and didn't want to get into it, but I became curious and changed my mind.

It's Castlevania Requiem on the PS4. So basically the way it works is that apparently it emulates the PSP version of Dracula X Chronicles, which apparently emulates both PC Engine Rondo of Blood and PS1 Symphony of the Night. Rondo is not the problem with Requiem, though; it would fall under PC Engine since it's emulating the PSP emulating the PC Engine version of the game... supposedly.

The problem is Symphony of the Night. The PS4 version emulates the PSP version which emulates the PS1 original, but then there's Maria. She's not playable in the PS1 version, I guess. She is playable on the Saturn (she was actually the first person I played as on Saturn, but then switched to Alucard after a while and just finished the game with him today. Switched back to Maria again not long ago on a fresh save file), but then they made her playable in the PSP version, but she's completely different from how she is on Saturn and instead plays like how she does in Rondo.

From what I understand, this would basically make the PSP version an emulated ROM hack of the PS1 version, so I am curious about if someone was to play the PSP/PS4 version of Symphony of the Night if it should count as PS1 or PSP. Apparently the PS4 version emulates the PSP version, so I'm guessing that it would probably not count as PS4 but PSP instead.

Again, I'm not entirely sure if the PS4 version does in fact emulate the PSP version, which itself is an emulation, but from what I have found from my research, this is essentially what might be going on with it, as apparently this is how the PS4 version of PaRappa works, the performance of Rondo is exactly like the PSP version, which is inaccurate to the PC Engine version in at least one place that I know of, and apparently there have been reports of leftover elements from the PSP version that were cut from the PS4 version discovered because someone's game glitched out and displayed stuff from the PSP version that it shouldn't have (the PSP version's menu... or something. It's been a while and I forgot the exact details) .

Edited by Steven Pendleton
formatting and stuff
  • Like 2

My head spins...

If there exists a ROM hack for PS1 or Saturn that lets you play Symphony like the PSP version does, I suppose it goes here. If no such hack is known to exist, I suppose it mainly is a PSP game, thus modern. Generally I don't think we're trying to split hairs, but to be somewhat faithful to the original games, to keep apart what is emulation of the old games and what are very accurate reimplementations.

• Like 2

On 10/6/2020 at 8:44 AM, carlsson said:

Ok great, thank you. It makes sense I'll try and remember if it emulates Arcade games or if it emulates old system games I will try to put it under the original system's category. Sorry If I make the mistake in the future and list the compilation games wrong.

On 10/6/2020 at 9:41 AM, wongojack said:

Regarding Black Widow - it was never released for the 2600, 5200, 8-bit computers, Colecovision, 7800, or any other home system that I know about.  I've only ever played it as an arcade game.  The original control scheme was like Robotron where the left stick controlled movement and the right stick allowed you to fire in 8 directions.  I've had a lot of fun playing it in MAME with a real arcade control panel and in the Xbox 360 Gameroom where you can use the twin sticks on the 360 controller.

If it was me, I would have just listed that time individually for the games maybe like:

Arcade

Black Widow 15

Centipede 10

Pong N

Road Blasters N

Atari 2600

Moonsweeper N

That is good information to know, as for I didn't know that Black Widow was only an Arcade game. Both of those games, Black Widow and Robotron, would seem like a lot of fun to play with the controller setup that you mentioned. That is such a good suggestion to use the twin sticks on a Xbox 360 controller for those games. I will have to try to map out that controller setup with a PS2 controller for Robotron and Black Widow the next time I play those games.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, carlsson said:

My head spins...

If there exists a ROM hack for PS1 or Saturn that lets you play Symphony like the PSP version does, I suppose it goes here. If no such hack is known to exist, I suppose it mainly is a PSP game, thus modern. Generally I don't think we're trying to split hairs, but to be somewhat faithful to the original games, to keep apart what is emulation of the old games and what are very accurate reimplementations.

Yeah, sorry... that is why I didn't really want to get into it in the first place, but eventually my desire to know got too strong and I had to ask. I'll stick to playing the Saturn version for now anyway, especially since I kind of like all of the exclusive stuff in that version, even if it does run terribly pretty much all the time. It truly is a terrible port and far from my favourite Castlevania game, but none of that that prevents it from being a good game.

• Like 3

Colecovision

Sydney Hunter Caverns of Death 178

I think I'm done with this game.  I made it to level 7 of 10, but every level ends with a sequence where you have to jump from vertical ropes while lava rises below.  The controls are extremely precise and it is incredibly easy to NOT catch the ropes (and die).  Plus, the sequences require you to memorize the layout and enemies to be successful.  That combination of being forced to repeat and memorize while a core game mechanic is extremely touchy makes for some very unenjoyable gameplay.  I just don't think I can make myself do it anymore.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, wongojack said:

Colecovision

Sydney Hunter Caverns of Death 178

I think I'm done with this game.  I made it to level 7 of 10, but every level ends with a sequence where you have to jump from vertical ropes while lava rises below.  The controls are extremely precise and it is incredibly easy to NOT catch the ropes (and die).  Plus, the sequences require you to memorize the layout and enemies to be successful.  That combination of being forced to repeat and memorize while a core game mechanic is extremely touchy makes for some very unenjoyable gameplay.  I just don't think I can make myself do it anymore.

That sounds very similar to the SNES version, but that one had passwords. Still, those rope-jumping sequences pretty much ruin the game, which is otherwise fun and very nice-looking (at least on the SNES).

And the physics also made no sense, because the enemies scrolled with the screen, rather than with the game world -- a lot like the ghosts in the famously disastrous staircase sequence in Ghostbusters NES.

I don't know why, or how, a game with so much obvious TLC allowed something so fundamentally joyless to be part of the final build.

• Like 3

So yeah, I work part-time, which is how I normally have these huge times at the end of the week (mostly on modern side, anyway), but I ended up in the office all day every day this week, so I didn't get a whole lot done.

Saturn
Akumajou Dracula X ~Gekka no Yasoukyoku~ - 293

Yay, finished the game as Alucard~ Now I will eventually get around to it as Maria and then Richter. Eventually.

Neo Geo AES/MVS
Neo Turf Masters - 21
Shock Troopers - 16

• Like 4

1 hour ago, thegoldenband said:

That sounds very similar to the SNES version, but that one had passwords. Still, those rope-jumping sequences pretty much ruin the game, which is otherwise fun and very nice-looking (at least on the SNES).

And the physics also made no sense, because the enemies scrolled with the screen, rather than with the game world -- a lot like the ghosts in the famously disastrous staircase sequence in Ghostbusters NES.

I don't know why, or how, a game with so much obvious TLC allowed something so fundamentally joyless to be part of the final build.

There is a password system that allows you to start at the beginning of a level.  So, if you hit a "game over" you can at least begin at the start of level X.  However, it still isn't enough because you have to go through and collect all the treasures and THEN start the ropes (where you will never succeed on your first try).  I think at one point on level 6 I lost 20-24 men, and after each "game over," I had to play the whole level again.  What makes it worse is that (I mentioned before) the Phoenix won't display correctly on my TVs.  I was running it through an HDMI to composite converter which was adding enough delay that it made the ropes section almost impossible.  So to get through level 6, I had to connect directly with HDMI, but that means no sound - <hrmph>

BUT . . . as you say, the rest of the game seems SO well put together.  I was genuinely enjoying running around and finding the various treasures.  After the first three or so levels, I was ready to declare this the greatest Coleco game of all time.  But then . . . it got harder and decided it hated me.

• Like 4

ATARI 2600:

Asteroids - 2 minutes

Galaxian - 40 minutes

Jr. Pac-Man (for HSC) - 85 minutes

Space Invaders - 18 minutes

Jr. Pac-Man is the game which will finish the 2600 NEW HSC Season 10 (started with Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man games).

ATARI 7800:

Pac-Man Collection - 30 minutes

EVIDENCE OF THE WEEK: My 7800 Pac-Man Collection video footage, with Ms. Pac-Attack (strawberry starting level)

• Like 4

Here are my times for this past week (October 5th through 11th) on classic systems:

Arcade:

Jr. Pac-Man - 131 min. in 8 sessions

The only classic game I played this week was, again, Jr. Pac-Man. I still try to keep my sessions short, throwing in a session here and there, and they often consist of only one game. I've head great success with the strategy of leading the ghosts around in circles, which works well on several maze-like games.

• Like 4

A pretty good week for gaming this week! I've continued my slog through the Doom II add-on BTSX Episode 2 on the Switch (and it is becoming a slog, because holy heck this expansion is way too hard!) and put a good bit of time into Jr. Pac-Man on the 2600, which is the final game for the current season of the High Score Club before the bracket challenge. At this point I think I've scored well enough to make it into either the silver or bronze brackets at the end of the season, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see! On the Sega front, I was having some pretty bad anxiety issues early in the week so to help me relax and mellow out and I spent a nice long evening playing Ecco the Dolphin on the Sega CD. It's got one of the most relaxing video game soundtracks of all time so it was really peaceful and soothing to play, and I definitely should get back to it and see if I can finish the game this week. I also did a full play through of the short but fun Desert Demolition on the Genesis, because I'm pretty much a sucker for any game that lets you play as a coyote. :lol:

That's all the gaming news that's fit to print from my household this week! Until next time, and as always, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours.

20201005_180114.thumb.jpg.d969573edd7605379615534b46087d50.jpg

Ineligible

Doom II: BTSX Episode 2 (Nintendo Switch) - 420 minutes

Atari 2600

Jr. Pac-Man - 169 minutes

Sega CD

Ecco the Dolphin - 240 minutes

Sega Genesis

Desert Demolition - 68 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

897 minutes (14 hours 57 minutes) [477 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch - 420 minutes

Sega CD - 240 minutes

Atari 2600 - 169 minutes

Sega Genesis - 68 minutes

• Like 3

Another long list of NES games for me this week.  Some of these I actually only played for less than a minute, but I'll say it was a minute for the purposes of the tracker.

NES

Paperboy - 1 min

Paperboy 2 - 1 min

Parodius - 1 min

Platoon - 1 min

Popeye - 2 min

Power Blade - 3 min

Punch Out! (Non-Mike Tyson version) - 13 min (Got to Bald Bull second round)

Qix - 3 min

RC Pro-Am - 3 min

RC Pro-Am 2 - 2 min

Rainbow Islands - 3 min

Rampage - 5 min

Renegade - 2 min

River City Ransom - 8 min

Rolling Thunder - 1 min

Rush'n Attack - 1 min

Rygar - 3 min

Section Z - 3 min

Shadow of the Ninja - 5 min

Shadowgate - 10 min

Silent Service - 5 min

Silkworm - 2 min

The Simpsons Bart vs The Space Mutants - 1 min

The Simpsons Bart vs The World - 5 min

The Simpsons Bartman meets Radioactive Man - 2 min

Skykid - 1 min

Smash TV - 1 min

Snake's Revenge - 5 min

Solstice - 1 min

Seven-Up Spot - 8 min

Spy Hunter - 1 min 

Sqoon - 1 min

Star Force - 2 min

Star Soldier - 1 min

Starship Hector - 1 min

StarTropics - 8 min

Super C - 1 min

Super Mario Brothers - 5 min

Super Mario Brothers 2 - 3 min

Super Mario Brothers 3 - 2 min

Super Turrican - 4 min

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - 1 min

TMNT The Arcade Game - 2 min

TMNT The Manhattan Project - 4 min

TMNT Tournament Fighters - 2 min

TerraCresta - 1 min

Tetris - 10 min

Thundercade - 1 min

Tiger-Heli - 1 min

Toki - 2 min

Top Gun - 9 min (Actually landed on the carrier on the first try!)

T&C Surf Designs Wood & Water Rage - 2 min

Twin Cobra - 3 min

Twin Eagle - 1 min

Vindicators - 5 min

Wario's Woods - 43 min (I was so tired of this one at the end...)

Willow - 2 min

Wizards & Warriors - 3 min

Wizards & Warriors III - 18 min

Wrath of the Black Manta - 1 min

Xevious - 1 min

Xybots - 11 min (I played this so much in the arcades... )

Yo! Noid - 2 min

Yoshi - 6 min

Zanac - 1 min

Zelda II Adventures of Link - 6 min

Zoda's Revenge StarTropics 2 - 5 min

And as usual, I made a "highlight" reel of my deaths.  lol

• Like 4

I didnt play much, but here are the games I played for this week

Atari 2600

Demon Attack                                 - 5 minutes             I found this game really fun and entertaining with just the right amount of difficulty. I played it on the Activision Anthology collection for the PS2, which I highly recommend playing. I like playing it with the game sound effects off, and just listening to the great 80s soundtrack of this game.

Kaboom                                           - 5 minutes             Kaboom  was a really difficult game to play, and I found myself to be horrible at this game. I need to give it another chance to in the future, maybe I can get better at it if I put in a little more time.

Arcade

Sinister                                            - 5 minutes              Sinister is a different type of shooter that kind of reminded me of Asteroids with easier difficulty settings. It seemed that early on in the game that it was difficult to die, and you can even bounce off of the enemies. Maybe it gets more difficult later on, but either way I enjoyed playing this game.

NES

Adventures of Lolo 2 Remix Hack  - 10 minutes  I really enjoyed all of the Adventures of Lolo games. These games make you put allot of thought into trying to figure out the different types of puzzles. As a kid I didn't see the appeal of this game when first seeing it in Nintendo Power, but years later I have really come to enjoy this series and most of the puzzle games for the NES.

PS1

Driver                                               - 10 minutes   This is a really fun game that I remember playing as a kid. There are multiple options to play this game, like being a driver on getaway missions, but the mode I like the best is to try to escape from the cops without filling your vehicle damage meter. This is a fun mindless game that I would recommend if you get the chance.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Nintendo64 said:

Kaboom                                           - 5 minutes             Kaboom  was a really difficult game to play, and I found myself to be horrible at this game. I need to give it another chance to in the future, maybe I can get better at it if I put in a little more time

When I started playing Kaboom!, it took me a couple hours a day for a few days to get to where I could play it on level 7 and 8.  I think I reached 10,000 the third day of playing.

My all time high score is 928,982.  I've only surpassed 600,000  two or three times in 18 years of playing.  LOL

• Like 1