IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2020 (Season 13)

carlsson

Here's the summary for Week 41, running from October 5 - 11. We logged 2575 minutes of eligible play, playing 110 games on a total of 13 systems.

Top 10:

1. Akumajō Dracula X: Gekka no Yasōkyoku (JP version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night) (Sega Saturn) - 293 min. (#1)
1. Jr. Pac-Man (Atari 2600) - 293 min.
3. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 257 min. (#3)
4. Ecco the Dolphin (Sega CD) - 240 min.
5. Sydney Hunter and the Caverns of Death (ColecoVision) - 178 min. (#6)
6. Jr. Pac-Man (Arcade) - 131 min. (#10)
7. Space Griffon VF-9 (PlayStation) - 112 min.
8. Laser Gates (Atari 2600) - 99 min. (#7)
9. Mega Man X3: New Zero Project v4.1 (SNES) - 90 min.
10. Bases Loaded (NES/Famicom) - 76 min. (#8)

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Jr. Pac-Man (Atari 2600) - 293 min.
2. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 257 min. (PN#1)
3. Sydney Hunter and the Caverns of Death (ColecoVision) - 178 min. (PN#3)
4. Jr. Pac-Man (Arcade) - 131 min. (PN#6)
5. Laser Gates (Atari 2600) - 99 min. (PN#4)
6. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 72 min. (PN#10)
7. Galaxian (Atari 2600) - 40 min.
8. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 30 min.
9. Pressure Cooker (Atari 2600) - 29 min.
10. Jet Set Willy 2019 (Atari 8-bit) - 23 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (909) (#1)
2. NES/Famicom (387) (#2)
3. Sega Saturn (293) (#4)
4. Sega CD (240)
5. ColecoVision (178) (#3)
6. Arcade (136) (#6)
7. PlayStation (122) (#9)
8. SNES (90)
9. Genesis (68) (#8)
10. Atari ST (57)

This week, Alucard & c:o share first place with Jr. Pac-Man, with the first four within 60 minutes of eachother. Jr. Pac-Man (Atari 2600) also takes the pre-NES title and in total the Atari 2600 remains the most played system. A welcome return to the Atari ST platform, which barely has been played since September 2012 when @twoquickcapri routinely posted times for it.

Despite a massive 110 games being logged (mainly on the NES), none exceed the 1000, 5000 or 10000 minute barriers.

As noted, next Monday October 19 marks 12 years since the tracker was started. Hurray!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Atarian7 said:

When I started playing Kaboom!, it took me a couple hours a day for a few days to get to where I could play it on level 7 and 8.  I think I reached 10,000 the third day of playing.

My all time high score is 928,982.  I've only surpassed 600,000  two or three times in 18 years of playing.  LOL

Wow that seems like a really high score, great job. I need to try this one again, and hopefully will get used to the difficulty a little more.

2 hours ago, carlsson said:

and Kaboom! truly is an "OG" in the tracker, with your first post dating back to the day after cvga started it. Actually next Monday, October 19 it celebrates its 12th birthday!

That is interesting to know. 12 years of tracking these game is pretty amazing. Thanks for tracking this weeks times again, I really do appreciate it.

On 10/11/2020 at 12:05 AM, wongojack said:

Colecovision

Sydney Hunter Caverns of Death 178

I think I'm done with this game.  I made it to level 7 of 10, but every level ends with a sequence where you have to jump from vertical ropes while lava rises below.  The controls are extremely precise and it is incredibly easy to NOT catch the ropes (and die).  Plus, the sequences require you to memorize the layout and enemies to be successful.  That combination of being forced to repeat and memorize while a core game mechanic is extremely touchy makes for some very unenjoyable gameplay.  I just don't think I can make myself do it anymore.

I never really played the Colecovision that much. But since Im starting to play the Atari 2600 more, I should try and give this system a shot. That's a funny title as well, I wonder why they used the # 178?

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, carlsson said:

178 in this case refers to the number of minutes he played, not part of the game title. :) The Sydney Hunter games are recent homebrews by the way.

Ahh I see, thanks for that information. I need to try some of these homebrews for other systems, I only have NES homebrews.

5 hours ago, wongojack said:

@Nintendo64 Kaboom is awesome, but it totally sucks on the Activision Anthology.  To truly experience that game, you have to play it it on the original console with paddles.  Stella with paddles is better than the anthology, but still not great.

Its funny you say that, because I really didn't like how the ps2 controller worked with Kaboom, and after playing I wondered if the original console's controllers worked better, thanks for that. Either way, I really enjoy playing some of the other games on the Activision Anthology with that 80's soundtrack in the background.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 3

I was still pretty busy this week, so not a whole lot got done on this side again. At least I can actually beat the first opponent on the lowest difficulty setting in Garou Densetsu Special now...

Genesis/MD
Castlevania Bloodlines - 10
Mad Stalker Full Metal Forth - 5

Neo Geo AES/MVS
Garou Densetsu Special - 101
The King of Fighters '98 - 12
Neo Turf Masters - 33

• Like 3

Here are my times for this past week (October 12th through 18th) on classic systems...

Arcade:

Jr. Pac-Man - 71 min. (in 4 sessions)

Atari 2600:

Mr. Postman - 7 min. (in 2 sessions)

This week, I've played two games on classic systems, Jr. Pac-Man (like last week) and Mr. Postman, which is an Atari 2600 game by Bit Corp. whose topic sounds interesting, but it's actually not very bright. Back in the day, it was available in Germany as an EPROM cart which you could then erase and program with another game. Though the cart had 8K of capacity, the game is only 4K. Actually, I wonder how the cart was able to support different bank switching schemes...

Jr. Pac-Man... well, nothing new there. I chased a score of 60,000 points, but didn't reach it, though I managed to get over 50,000.

• Like 3

Atari 2600

JR Pac-Man - 32 minutes

Kaboom! - 110 minutes

Solar Fox - 246 minutes

Best Solar Fox score was 792,000 Rack 38.

I didn't do too well on Kaboom! this week.  I guess I'm rusty.

I managed to complete the 1st screen on JR Pac-man but didn't get too far after that.  I might try again this evening/night.

• Like 2

Here are my times, from what I can remember:

Atari 2600

Reactor- 2 1/2 minutes

Q*bert- 5 minutes

Montezuma's Revenge- 3 1/2 minutes

Tapper- 9 minutes

Dragonstomper (supercharger game)- 5 1/2 minutes

Desert Falcon- 3 minutes

Fast Food- 4 minutes

Frogger (supercharger game)- 4 minutes

Amidar- 5 minutes

Joust- 2 1/2 minutes 

Klax- 5 minutes

Bump n' Jump- 3 minutes

Tron: Deadly discs- 7 minutes 

Taz- 5 1/2 minutes

KABOOM!- 2 minutes

Ms. Pacman- 6 minutes

Donkey Kong VCS (homebrew)- 6 minutes

Chopper Command- 3 1/2 minutes

Gangster Alley- 3 minutes

NES

NARC- 6 minutes

Burgertime- 7 minutes

Lion King (unlicensed)- 3 minutes

Yoshi's Cookie- 6 minutes

Sega Master System

Alien Storm- 6 1/2 minutes

• Like 3

Atari 2600

Amidar 17 mins. Like this game a lot. 

Eggomania 27 mins Score of 78,000

golf 10 mins didn’t like the game at all. 

Jr Pac-Man fir HSC 65 mins. Not too good a score but a real good game. 

Solar Fox 161 mins. All good scores. 

Almost all fun. 

BEE91756-1F36-4077-8C9B-14DD92EC9FC4.jpeg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, agb said:

Atari 2600

Amidar 17 mins. Like this game a lot. 

Eggomania 27 mins Score of 78,000

golf 10 mins didn’t like the game at all. 

Solar Fox 161 mins. All good scores. 

Almost all fun. 

BEE91756-1F36-4077-8C9B-14DD92EC9FC4.jpeg

Looks like you were working on some paddle jitters there.

• Like 2

A2600
Circus Atari 49
Encounter at L-5 32
Kaboom 132 personal best 29,562
Tac-Scan 76

I was inspired by @Nintendo64 and got out Kaboom and some other paddle games.  I got a new personal best on Kaboom, but I was going for 30k, so I fell a little short.

Tac-Scan and L-5 are recent acquisitions, and although I had played them before, they are nice carts to have.  Tac-Scan especially is such a nice and unique game for the era, and the 2600 version is a great port.

I like to play Circus Atari on game 4.  The rounds are long and you can kinda chill out and just play.

• Like 3

I didn't play much for the week, but here are the games I played

Atari 2600

Spider Fighter          -10 Minutes         I really enjoyed playing this game. It is a shooter that is pretty fast paced, where the difficulty goes up as you progress through the levels. I am really starting to enjoy the shooters on the Atari 2600.

Sega Genesis   

Streets of Rage        -20 Minutes      This is a really fun Beat em up game on the Sega Genesis. For some reason I always set games on the hardest difficulty setting, and this one is pretty difficult to complete. One day I will finish this game, as for I really enjoy this series.

Sega Dreamcast

Mr. Driller                   -5 Minutes      This is a fun puzzle game for the Dreamcast, and takes some thinking in order to progress through the game. I am not that good at it,  but if I play it a little more maybe I can do better next time I play this game.

Nintendo 64

Hydro Thunder            -10 Minutes      Hydro Thunder is a boat racing game for the Nintendo 64, and it is very fun to play. It kind of has a Wave Race vibe, especially pertaining to the sounds, and I would definitely recommend playing this game.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, wongojack said:

A2600
Circus Atari 49
Encounter at L-5 32
Tac-Scan 76

I was inspired by @Nintendo64 and got out Kaboom and some other paddle games.  I got a new personal best on Kaboom, but I was going for 30k, so I fell a little short.

Tac-Scan and L-5 are recent acquisitions, and although I had played them before, they are nice carts to have.  Tac-Scan especially is such a nice and unique game for the era, and the 2600 version is a great port.

I like to play Circus Atari on game 4.  The rounds are long and you can kinda chill out and just play.

That is a great score for Kaboom, well done. I don't think I could get anywhere near 30k, especially with the PS2 controller I am using to play this game. I really need to try that game with the paddle joystick one day. I never played Circus, although one day I would like to try, but that looks like a difficult game.

17 hours ago, Atarian7 said:

That sounds like me when I played this game, I cant say I'm rusty at it though, because I'm just started playing it.  I would just say I'm not good at all at this game.

12 hours ago, agb said:

I need to try out these Pac-Man games for the Atari 2600, I really only have played the NES versions, and the Arcade version back in the 80s/90s.

Castlevania Bloodlines - 10

I think I've said this to you before, but this I really enjoy this game also.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 3

ATARI 2600:

Cosmic Commuter - 1 minute

Dolphin - 1 minute

Jr. Pac-Man - 16 minutes

River Raid - 1 minute

ATARI 7800:

Pac-Man Collection - 87 minutes

EVIDENCE OF THE WEEK: My Pac-Man Collection gameplay footages, with Pac-Man Random Mazes

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 3

Not too many games played around here this past week, but a good bit of time was logged in all of them. I started off the week continuing my arduous grind through the Doom II add-on BTSX Episode 2 on the Switch, and I was getting pretty near the end when I finally just burnt out and realized I wasn't having fun playing it anymore on Thursday. At that point I still felt like playing Doom but had just had enough of the absurd difficulty of the BTSX add-on, so I went back to my old favorite fan made hack JagDoom 32X for (you guessed it) the Sega 32X. This rather awesome hack adds in the missing third episode from the Atari Jaguar version of Doom along with the previously missing BFG 9000 weapon, and I stayed up all night playing it for nearly 8 hours straight until I beat the whole game in one sitting! It was a ton of fun and well worth the time spent playing it, and the next day I was still feeling like playing some more Doom so I got in a few levels of the original 32X version on Nightmare difficulty.

As far as the misses' gaming time this past week goes, she was dead set on finishing Wonder Boy in Monster World on the Genesis (which she's been playing off and on for the last couple months) so she played the rest of the way through the game all the way up until the final boss... at which point she hit a total brick wall because the final boss seems absolutely infreakinpossible to beat. After hours of trying she never managed to get the bosses's health bar down more than halfway before dying, and I gave a few attempts at it too but couldn't do any better. It's a real shame that an otherwise awesome game is kinda ruined by a seemingly impossible final boss fight. Apparently the boss fight was actually reasonable in the difficulty department in the Japanese version, but for the US market the developers decided to up the difficulty (no doubt as a "rental buster" tactic) but they went way too far with it and I don't think the vast majority of gamers would ever be able to beat it. I know both my spouse and I are never gonna. 

Well, that's all the gaming news that's fit to print from around here for this week! Until next time, and as always, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours :)

118113221_20201018001301_IMG_65903.thumb.JPG.151253c7bb6286bb8da98546a050b114.JPG

Ineligible

Doom II: BTSX Episode 2 (Nintendo Switch) - 740 minutes

Sega 32X

Doom - 113 minutes

JagDoom 32X - 449 minutes

Sega Genesis

Wonder Boy in Monster World - 235 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,537 minutes (25 hours 37 minutes) [797 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 740 minutes

Sega 32X: 562 minutes

Sega Genesis: 235 minutes

Edited by Skippy B. Coyote
  • Like 3

My classic times for the week...

Genesis

PGA Tour Golf III - 220 min (I've found out that one of the things that is starting to irritate me about old golf games is how long it takes to render things.  I remember being amazed at the trees popping in and filling up the "lifelike" holes of games like Links 98 for the PC.  But these days, I'm spoiled with faster systems and have grown impatient.  I still want it to look nice, but c'mon.  This is a good golf game, and I did decently at it.  Normal three button press swing system.  The last button press seems to be really pretty sensitive, though.  A little off and you've got a big slice or hook coming.  I thought it was interesting that you could pick one player and one of the pros in the game to see them play a round.  Also, it has the TPC at Las Colinas, which is a golf course that I regularly drove past when I was working doing deliveries in the early 2000's.  So it was neat to be able to play that one.  See below for obligatory pic of Craig Stadler.)

Atari 2600

Demon Attack - 15 min (I had actually gotten this one a few months ago, but hadn't put it in to test it until this week.  It's my only Imagic game.)

Donkey Kong - 5 min (This is the only version of DK that I'm halfway decent at.  And it's mainly because I played it a ton back in the day.)

Draconian - 10 min (It's been a while since I played this and I've gotten a bit rusty I think.  But I also think last time I played I was using a Genesis controller.)

Frogger - 5 min (Always fun to pop in for a bit.  Never going to be as good as George Costanza, but...)

craig.png

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Nintendo64 said:

I think I've said this to you before, but this I really enjoy this game also.

lol yeah, I think you might have...

It's a great game. I really just like to play the first few levels or so if I'm waiting for something to happen, so I usually don't actually beat the game when I play it. I did a few months ago, though. Sometimes I play the Japanese version, Vampire Killer, instead for some reason. Vampire Killer is easier and has the difficulty that the devs likely intended instead of the US version, which has increased difficulty for some reason, but I suppose you could just consider the game to have 6 different difficulty settings.

• Like 2

On 10/19/2020 at 12:44 AM, wongojack said:

A2600

That's a great Kaboom score.  I recently played 150-160 games of kaboom one week and topped out in the 4,000s with good working paddles.

23 hours ago, Nintendo64 said:

That is a great score for Kaboom, well done. I don't think I could get anywhere near 30k, especially with the PS2 controller I am using to play this game. I really need to try that game with the paddle joystick one day. I never played Circus, although one day I would like to try, but that looks like a difficult game.

It is really hard to play any paddle games on the ps2.  I think you really need an original atari 2600 with good working paddles.  Unfortunately, my paddles need some work.  One of the wires is lose.  I now do two player games only scoring on player two.

On 10/18/2020 at 7:48 PM, Atarian7 said:

Atari 2600

JR Pac-Man - 32 minutes

Kaboom! - 110 minutes

Solar Fox - 246 minutes

Best Solar Fox score was 792,000 Rack 38.

Nice Solar Fox score.  You will be breaking a million soon and then 2 mil.  Fun game.

Is not doing well on Kaboom for you still over 100,000?

• Like 2

Here's the summary for Week 42, running from October 12 - 18. We logged 2721 minutes of eligible play, playing 60 games on a total of 12 systems.

Top 10:

1. JagDoom 32X (Sega 32X) - 449 min.
2. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 407 min. (#3)
3. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 244 min.
4. Wonder Boy in Monster World (Genesis) - 235 min.
5. PGA Tour Golf III (Genesis) - 220 min.
6. Space Griffon VF-9 (PlayStation) - 132 min. (#7)
7. DOOM (Sega 32X) - 113 min.
7. Jr. Pac-Man (Atari 2600) - 113 min. (#1)
9. Fatal Fury Special [Garou Densetsu Special] (Neo Geo AES/MVS) - 101 min.
10. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 87 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 407 min. (PN#2)
2. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 244 min. (PN#6)
3. Jr. Pac-Man (Atari 2600) - 113 min. (PN#1)
4. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 87 min. (PN#8)
5. Tac-Scan (Atari 2600) - 76 min.
6. Jr. Pac-Man (Arcade) - 71 min. (PN#4)
7. Circus Atari (Atari 2600) - 49 min.
8. Encounter at L-5 (Atari 2600) - 32 min.
9. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 27 min.
10. Amidar (Atari 2600) - 22 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (1131) (#1)
2. Sega 32X (562)
3. Genesis (535) (#9)
4. Neo Geo AES/MVS (146)
5. PlayStation (132) (#7)
6. Atari 7800 (87)
7. Arcade (71) (#6)
8. NES/Famicom (22) (#2)
9. Atari 8-bit (13)
10. N64 (10)

Happy birthday to the tracker! As noted, it all began one gloomy Sunday in October 2008 when @cvga decided to start logging how much his 9 year old daughter played Seawolf, and from that it has grown into a multi-million business fun for everyone and 2,235,314 minutes (that is 1552.3 days or 4.25 years) of tracked gameplay over 9517 different games for every possible and sometimes impossible console, computer, handheld and others designed before the year 2000.

This week is won by JagDoom 32X a little over 40 minutes ahead of a few people playing Solar Fox, with the evergreen Kaboom! in a nice third place. The later two also lead the pre-NES list, and highly suitable, the Atari 2600 becomes the most played system, exactly like it all began 12 years ago.

We have one more game celebrating this week, as Wonder Boy in Monster World (Genesis) becomes member #420 in the 1000 Minute Club with a total of 1030 minutes.

congrats GIF

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, carlsson said:

Happy birthday to the tracker! As noted, it all began one gloomy Sunday in October 2008 when @cvga decided to start logging how much his 9 year old daughter played Seawolf, and from that it has grown into a multi-million business fun for everyone and 2,235,314 minutes (that is 1552.3 days or 4.25 years) of tracked gameplay over 9517 different games for every possible and sometimes impossible console, computer, handheld and others designed before the year 2000.

I had forgotten about that. She really enjoyed Seawolf but just moved and fired like crazy. I remember her playing one incredibly long game and getting an unheard of score while I was working on something and not really paying attention. Turns out she died twice with only one ship left which rolled the counter backwards to the maximum number of ships instead of zero. Fun times. She's 21 and a senior in college now. Time flies.

• Like 5