IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2020 (Season 13)

carlsson

Think it was just one classic game for me this week...

TurboGrafx-16

Bonk's Adventure - 30 min (Was watching some speedruns of this and wanted to try some of their tricks.  I'm still not as good at the bosses as they are, so I died more.  Also, didn't finish the game.  If I take my time and play my way, I can beat it relatively easily.)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, zetastrike said:

I have to post this here because it's a big deal for me.  After about 6 years of owning the game, I finally cleared level 10 of Monster Manor on the 3DO.  It's a notoriously frustrating map with a ton of enemies and hardly any ammo to deal with them.  Worse still, there are many dead ends that will unleash hordes of spiders and grim reapers that you won't be able to defend yourself against due to the sparse ammo dumps.  This took me roughly an hour to complete.  Here's the map in case anyone else out there is struggling with this level.  Even the game's developer couldn't finish it during his playthrough on youtube.

@thegoldenband you might appreciate this one!

The yellow dot is the location of the talisman piece you need to exit the level and the exit is marked by the white X in the bottom left corner, just above the red + sign which is me.

Awesome, zetastrike! I think I still have a hand-drawn map of that level in my files from when I beat EFMM back in 2013. That huge ring around it looks very familiar.

I definitely appreciated the survival horror/ammo conservation aspect of EFMM; pretty good game, I thought, though my taste in FPS games leans strongly toward the slow and methodical so I may not be the best judge.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, carlsson said:

As far as I can tell, yes. Actually I found that it works with a regular two jack cable, i.e. only tip and one sleeve for mono audio. I tried an adapter with tip, ring and sleeve too but I'm not sure if it made any difference, i.e. a second audio channel.

I need to try hooking mine up again.  Maybe it was the way I had it connected...  I was trying to go to my 40" lcd, and probably through a RetroTink and ElGato capture card.  But since I've realized that my 20" CRT has a composite "monitor out", I might try that instead.  Just gotta find that cord again... and the CRT remote... and charge the flashback... sigh... maybe I'll do it some other day.  lol

• Like 2

Here are my times for this past week (November 2nd through 8th)...

Arcade:

Mario Bros - 103 min. in 5 sessions

Popeye - 43 min. in 2 sessions

This week I played two Nintendo games, Mario Bros and Popeye. I think Mario Bros is clearly the stronger game, though Popeye uses more graphics trickery, like the 16-color background in a pretty low resolution (112x64 pixels) which is overlayed by interlaced sprites and probably even another layer displaying the score and such. On this hardware, the sprites actually have the problem that they, as a whole, are transparent to the background, but not to each other, that is, they shouldn't ever overlap, and the game does various things to prevent them from overlapping. In Popeye, I didn't ever manage to beat the game (all 3 screens) even on the easiest setting while in Mario Bros I get pretty far by now with 13 through 18 minute long games.

• Like 4

ATARI 2600:

Astroblast (for HSC Paper Medal Knockout Tourney) - 295 minutes

Jawbreaker - 110 minutes

Pepsi Invaders - 24 minutes

EVIDENCES OF THE WEEK:

1) My final score on Astroblast. To reach 300K points in my last effort, I used PAL version of this paddle game, made in England by Telegames and picked up at Atarimania.

279822627_Astroblast(1988)(Telegames)(PAL)_4.thumb.png.8a5c589ce344a59aa63ce2beb4dfd827.png

2) My new Pepsi Invaders gameplay footage - Score 15,460

• Like 3

Here's mine:

Atari 2600:

Cat Trax- 6 minutes

Missile Command- 8 1/2 minutes

Gangster Alley- 5 minutes

Tapper 7 1/2 minutes

Taz-3 1/2 minutes

Porky's- 6 minutes

TRON: Deadly discs- 4 minutes

Demon attack- 2 1/2 minutes

Lock n' Chase- 8 minutes

Robot Tank- 2 minutes

Q*bert- 6 minutes

Burning Desire- 2 minutes

Frogs and Flies- 7 minutes

Kool-aid man- 1 1/2 minutes

spider man- 3 minutes

MS-DOS

Stargunner- 3 1/2 minutes

• Like 4

My times for the week:

Atari 2600:
Lilly Adventure (NTSC) [aka Lili, Artkaris] - 91 min.

NES:
Bases Loaded - 221 min.

Jaguar:
Battlesphere Gold - 28 min.
Full Circle: Rocketeer - 6 min.
Mr. Heli - 3 min.

PlayStation:
Critical Depth - 37 min.
Happy Salvage - 23 min.
Rescue Copter - 199 min.
Syphon Filter - 76 min.

Played through the recently-dumped NTSC version of Lilly Adventure (thanks to AtariAge user Mr. Postman!), on B difficulty which gives you infinite lives. Since you start out with 5 lives, and gain one per completed level, the game has an automatic kill screen when you reach Level 95 and the counter rolls over to zero.

It appears there are 99 levels (generated procedurally and pseudo-randomly), or really 100, whereupon the level counter rolls over. But I don't know if I have it in me to try A difficulty, with limited lives, just to say I reached 5-6 more "numbers". The game is just too janky and random for the time/effort investment that'd be required.

I also got the final gold medal I needed in Level 3-2 of Rescue Copter, giving me gold across the board in Easy mode. However, I didn't quite get a perfect score in it... ? Meanwhile, Expert mode seems basically unplayable, and the one Expert mode playthrough on YouTube doesn't succeed in completing 3-2 at all. So there, too, I question the wisdom of investing any more time on the game -- which is annoying since I like to beat the highest difficulty level on the games I play.

• Like 3

In spite of being pretty under the weather and lousy feeling this week I actually had a pretty darn good time gaming and made some accomplishments in the process! First I played through and beat Resident Evil 7 on the Xbox One twice, getting both of the two different endings, and I had an absolute blast with it. I love the whole Resident Evil series so I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite of the bunch, but Resident Evil 7 is definitely right up there with the GameCube REmake of the original Resident Evil and Resident Evil 4 for the title of favorite entries in the series. 

Next up I got around to finally doing something that I had been putting off for months, finishing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on the Switch. I knew I had done almost everything I needed to do for the main quests, all that was left was to find the last 2 lost memories and then go fight Ganon, so Saturday night I finally just went ahead and did it. I had been putting off the final boss fight for a long time since I didn't know if I was ready for it, but it turns out after completing all the main quests and most of the side quests I was massively overpowered and just cut through Ganon like a hot knife through butter :lol: 

Those couple hours I spent playing Breath of the Wild for the first time in months really reminded me what a wonderful game it was and how much I loved it, so tonight I went back and started a new game to play through it all again. This time I think I'm going to tackle a lot more of the side quests and make a commitment to play through the entire game without ever fast traveling; to make it feel more realistic and really enjoy the ambiance and scenery of the world. I also got in a bit of Atari 2600 time this evening, playing Astroblast for the HSC paper medal bracket until I had gotten a sufficiently high score to get me into the next round of the tournament (311,795 in this case, which was a new personal best for me). 

Well, I think that's all the news from around here for this week! All that's left to do is post my household's times then get back to my second play through of Breath of the Wild. Best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours! :)

EmROupSU8AEyJF9.thumb.jpeg.88b884cb78de3587d63faebc66353a01.jpeg

Ineligible

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard (Xbox One) - 1,178 minutes

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo Switch) - 305 minutes

Atari 2600

Astroblast - 112 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,595 minutes (26 hours 35 minutes) [112 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Xbox One: 1,178 minutes

Nintendo Switch: 305 minutes

Atari 2600: 112 minutes

• Like 4

I played a little more this week than the previous weeks, here are the games I played this week.

Atari 2600

Kabobber                -5 Minutes            This was a different type of game where you go around trying to gobble up different enemies. It was fun, but I need to give it more of a chance

Kaboom                  -15 Minutes          I really enjoy this game, but I am not too good at it. I only got up to 159 points, and have no clue how one can get over 40,000 points. Well done wongojack for getting such a high score in this game.

Millipede                 -10 Minutes         I really liked this shooter for the Atari 2600. The shooters seem to be my favorite genera for this system so far.

Solar Fox                -15 Minutes         This is a different type of game for the system, and I understand why Atarian7 and agb like it so much.  Like most Atari 2600 games I have played, it becomes really challenging as time goes on. I am not too good at this game, but I really liked it.

TurbGrafx 16

Bravoman               -3 Minutes            I really did not like this game at at all. It is kind of funny/annoying that every time you kick and punch an enemy, the character says "Bravo".

Outrun                    -15 Minutes         This game is a classic. I remember playing it in the Arcade when I was a Kid, and I always have liked this game. It seems that no matter what system I play it on, I always enjoy playing this game.

Galaga 90               -15 Minutes       I really enjoyed this game, like I do all of the Galaga games. This series is probably my favorite shootem up series to play at any given time.

Sega Genesis

Ghouls' N Ghosts    -25 Minutes       Ghosts' N Goblins is one of my favorite games on the NES, and this is a great addition to the series. I guess I like to torture myself because I played it on the hardest setting, and this is one of the toughest games I have ever played, but I really do enjoy it. I recommend this game to anyone who has never played it. 

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 4

Here's the summary for Week 45, running from November 2 - 8. We logged 2607 minutes of eligible play, playing 50 games on a total of 10 systems.

Top 10:

1. Astroblast (Atari 2600) - 703 min.
2. Bases Loaded (NES/Famicom) - 221 min.
3. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 218 min. (#3)
4. Rescue Copter (PlayStation) - 199 min. (#8)
5. Circus Atari (Atari 2600) - 192 min.
6. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 146 min. (#2)
7. Jawbreaker (Atari 2600) - 110 min.
8. Mario Bros. (Arcade) - 103 min.
9. Lilly Adventure [aka Alices Abenteuer, Lili, Artkaris] (Atari 2600) - 91 min.
10. Syphon Filter (PlayStation) - 76 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Astroblast (Atari 2600) - 703 min.
2. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 218 min. (PN#3)
3. Circus Atari (Atari 2600) - 192 min.
4. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 146 min. (PN#2)
5. Jawbreaker (Atari 2600) - 110 min.
6. Mario Bros. (Arcade) - 103 min.
7. Lilly Adventure [aka Alices Abenteuer, Lili, Artkaris] (Atari 2600) - 91 min.
8. Enduro (Atari 2600) - 44 min. (PN#1)
9. Popeye (Arcade) - 43 min.
10. Tac-Scan (Atari 2600) - 40 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (1711) (#1)
2. PlayStation (335) (#3)
3. NES/Famicom (221) (#9)
4. Arcade (158) (#6)
5. TG-16/PC Engine (63) (#2)
6. Genesis (41) (#5)
7. Atari Jaguar (37) (#4)
8. Atari 8-bit (32) (#8)
9. 3DO (5)
10. PC (DOS) (4)

This week, the M Network game Astroblast completely ... blasts ... the competition, ahead of the baseball game Bases Loaded, Solar Fox and all the other following. Except for the two arcade games Mario Bros and Popeye, the Atari 2600 dominates the pre-NES list which also shows on the systems list with almost 2/3 of the total minutes. Note that the figure for Monster Manor on the 3DO was estimated to 5 minutes since no actual number was given. In practice it probably took way longer than so to beat that level 10.

Syphon Filter (PlayStation) becomes member #422 on the 1000 Minute Club with a total of 1032 minutes.

• Like 4

ATARI 2600:

Astrowar - 30 minutes

Laser Gates (for HSC Season 10 Paper Medal Tourney Quarter Finals) - 95 minutes

ATARI 7800:

Meteor Shower - 55 minutes

If you want more infos about this homebrew game by PacManPlus, check out this topic.

Meteor Shower is similar to Astrosmash for Intellivision and Astroblast for 2600.

• Like 3

Here are my times:

NES

Probotector- 6 minutes

Maxi 15 (unlicensed)- 8 1/2 minutes

Operation Wolf- 2 minutes

Yoshi's Cookie- 4 minutes

Atari 2600

Missile command- 7 1/2 minutes

Cat Trax- 6 minutes

Demon Attack- 3 minutes

spider man- 2 minutes

Taz- 5 1/2 minutes

Tapper- 7 minutes

Space Invaders- 4 minutes

Lock n' Chase- 10 1/2 minutes

Gangster alley- 4 minutes

Robot Tank- 2 1/2 minutes

Q*bert- 7 minutes

• Like 3

Here are my times for the past week (November 9th through 15th)...

Arcade:
Mario Bros - 116 min. in 5 sessions
Popeye - 9 min.

This week I played the same two games as last week, Popeye and Mario Bros. In Popeye I managed to beat the 3rd screen and get the "ending" after which the game restarts at the 1st screen with added difficultiy.
In Mario Bros, there are no such cycles, but the game advances screen by screen, and more enemies get added over time. It would count to the 24th screen, after that it's "KO". But I didn't get that far, I think the furthest I got was phase 19 (Each level is a "phase" in Mario Bros) with a bit over 160,000 points on the easiest setting.
  • Like 3

My times for the week:

Atari 2600:
Lilly Adventure, aka Lili, Artkaris - 9 min.

NES:
Bases Loaded - 76 min.

PlayStation:
Buttsubushi - 157 min.
Double Dragon - 65 min.
One Two Smash: Tanoshii Tennis! - 23 min.
Pop’n Tanks - 18 min.
Simple 1500 Series Vol. 56: The Sniper - 250 min.
Simple 1500 Series Vol. 79: The Shisenshou - 117 min. 

Beat the two Simple 1500 games I played, including the extra/unlockable modes you get after completing each of those games.

I also beat Double Dragon (a Neo Geo port) on the two lower difficulties, and cleared 27-28 puzzles in Buttsubushi, which I picked up for the first time in a while.

• Like 3

Didn't play much this week, but here are the games I played

NES

Millipede                       -15 Minutes         This is a very good shooter that carlsson helped me get into playing for the Atari 2600. I really like this version of Millipede and I highly recommend it

Sega Genesis

Ghouls' N Ghosts         -45 Minutes         I finally beat this game, but I have to say I used allot of save states on the way. Its just one of those games that I enjoy more using save states, because it becomes too anxiety inducing if I don't. This is a very difficult game, but I rather enjoyed playing it very much.

Nintendo 64

Wave Race 64              -10 Minutes         I remember when this game came out when I was a kid, and I thought the water effects/physics were revolutionary. It just seemed very realistic, and I still feel like it is one of the most fun water racing games to play even today.

• Like 4