IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2020 (Season 13)

carlsson

Cool. The FDS is listed separately from NES/Famicom, despite basically having the same gaming hardware but different media type. I'm not entirely sure about that distinction, but it is part of the tradition.

Or does the FDS add something extra to the mix, like more RAM, additional sound chip etc?

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, carlsson said:

Or does the FDS add something extra to the mix, like more RAM, additional sound chip etc?

You've got it exactly -- it adds an extra sound chip and more RAM. Maybe more, since the sound chip is actually an ASIC that handles I/O too (as I recall), but those are the big things.

• Like 4

Astro City Mini arrived on Friday. Lots of Sega arcade games this time.

PC Engine
Akumajou Dracula X: Chi no Rondo - 11

FDS
Dracula II: Noroi no Fuuin - 74
Metroid - 94

My actual clear time was 1 hour, 30 minutes, and I believe 34 seconds when I got to the "Pray for a true peace in the space!" scene, but I let the timer run until the credits were over. My time was a bit longer than usual because I got stuck in the lava in Norfair twice and it took about 2.5 minutes to get unstuck each time.

FC/NES
Snake's Revenge - 9

This game is bad. Don't play it.

Neo Geo AES/MVS
Fatal Fury 3: Road to the Final Victory - 15
Real Bout Fatal Fury - 48

Arcade
Altered Beast - 8
Arabian Fight - 12
Cotton - 23
Dottori Kun - 2

It seems that nobody has ever mentioned this game anywhere on this forum. Normally I'd romanize it as Dottori-kun, but it's actually in the Astro City Mini's English menu as Dottori Kun, so that's what I'll go with.
Fantasy Zone - 14
Gain Ground - 12
Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder - 12
Quartet 2 - 11
Rad Mobile - 3
Scramble Spirits - 3
Shadow Dancer - 48
Shinobi - 12
Sonic Boom - 8
Space Harrier - 20
Thunder Force AC - 19 (estimate, as it seems I forgot to actually turn on the timer the second time I played it.)

GB
Akumajou Dracula Dark Night Prelude - 12
Earthworm Jim - 2

This port is bad. Don't play it. I also played the GBA port over in the modern tracker. Don't play that one, either.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 7

ATARI 2600:

Centipede - 22 minutes

Defender II / Stargate (for HSC Paper Medal Finals) - 50 minutes

Dishaster - 11 minutes

Frostbite - 8 minutes

Jr. Pac-Man (for HSC Paper Medal Finals) - 175 minutes

River Raid (for HSC Paper Medal Finals) - 25 minutes

Space Invaders - 42 minutes

COLECOVISION:

Pac-Man Collection - 3 minutes

• Like 5

My times for the week:

NES:
Action 52 - 14 min.
Bases Loaded - 158 min.

Sega CD:
Fatal Fury Special - 108 min.
Stellar-Fire - 357 min.

PlayStation:
Buttsubushi - 1 min.
Hyper Final Match Tennis - 60 min.

Beat Fatal Fury Special on Easy and Expert (the latter being the highest difficulty level). I also beat Stellar-Fire on Easy difficulty.

• Like 5

Times for the week

Arcade on ps one

Dig Dug 13 mins

Gaplus 58 mins first time, very fun

Mappy 26 first time, also very fun

Super Pac-Man 12 mins so-so

Atari 2600

Demons to Diamonds 17 mins. First time -fun

Eggomania 93 mins

Maze Craze 10 mins

Solar Fox 132 mins

Zaxxon 10 mins. First time. Not so good

fun time. 

9DD04F12-E63A-455C-9640-5A595F7D7CDA.jpeg

• Like 4

Gameboy

F1 Race 41

Mario's Picross 104

Oddworld Adventures 176

Gameboy Color

Little Mermaid 2: Pinball Frenzy 48

Pokemon Gold 217

Warioland 3 37

Hey hey - I got to the end of Oddworld Adventures.  I've owned this cart for a number of years but never put any serious time into it until a few weeks ago.  It is a frustrating version of Oddworld that's for sure, but it is playable.  I finished it without the manual and using trial and error to figure out the controls.  I only consulted a video walkthrough once because I didn't realize that you could jump from the crouching position.

There were some bugs here and there that definitely brought the experience down slightly.  The graphics also detracted from my ability to discern between usable objects, blah blah.  Somehow in spite of all that they still managed to re-create Oddworld on the Gameboy.  3/5

oddworld-adventures-04.png

• Like 4

I seem to have forgotten something by mistake... it was the last save file time I checked before posting, as well, so I'm not sure how I managed to forget it.

GBC

Crystal Clear (Pokemon Crystal ROM hack) - 10

I should mention that I was doing some research yesterday and there are apparently 2 different and completely unrelated ROM hacks with this same title. The one I played this time and the last time I mentioned it is this one: https://pokemon-fan-game.fandom.com/wiki/Pokémon_Crystal_Clear_(Shock_Slayer)

Not this one: https://pokemon-fan-game.fandom.com/wiki/Pokémon_Crystal_Clear_(Bynine)

• Like 4

Just one classic game for me this week...

TurboGrafx-16

Bonk's Adventure - 41 min (So... I've been doing what I call casual speedrunning.  I'm not really practicing that much, but I am trying to get better and work my way up the list.  I doubt I'll ever be #1 or even get that close, but I am number 7 right now on Speedrun.com with this week's playthrough.  If anyone cares to watch, I put video of the run on YouTube.  This is my personal best so far (just over 41 min), but first place is around 27 min, so I've got a long ways to go.)

• Like 4

The theme for this week around here seems to have been "Getting distracted by DOOM Eternal". I intended to keep playing through Snatcher on the Sega CD, and I was going to try to do a play through of The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening on the original Game Boy, but then there was DOOM Eternal. :lol: Ah well, maybe next week for those games? 

Ineligible

DOOM Eternal (Xbox One) - 1,227 minutes

Game Boy

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - 5 minutes

Game Boy Color

Dance Dance Revolution GB - 58 minutes

Sega CD

Snatcher - 26 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,316 minutes (21 hours 56 minutes) [89 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Xbox One: 1,227 minutes

Game Boy Color: 58 minutes

Sega CD: 26 minutes

Game Boy: 5 minutes

• Like 5

Didn't Play much for the week, but here are the 3 games I played

Atari 2600

Acid Drop            -25 Minutes. Like I said before, If you like games like Columns and Tetris, try to give this game a try. It is really fun and I think deserves allot of credit for being a really good pre-tetris puzzle game.

NES

Action 52           -10 Minutes       I think I got through the first 20 or so games, and this game is just full of horrible games. I might play through some more in the future, but I can't think of a reason why I would actually put myself through playing this game again.

Sega Master System

Columns          -10 Minutes      I really like playing this game, and it has grown on me over the years. If you like Tetris or Acid Drop, I would definitely recommend playing this game

• Like 3

On 12/21/2020 at 1:00 AM, wongojack said:

Oddworld Adventures

I never really got into this series. The graphics style kind of reminded me of Earthworm Jim, although I could be wrong. Nice to see that you completed it. Are you playing all of these games on a T.V. screen, or on the old school handheld gameboy?

On 12/20/2020 at 10:32 PM, agb said:

Demons to Diamonds

Not sure if I have played this before, but It looks like a good shooter for the Atari 2600

On 12/20/2020 at 3:32 PM, carlsson said:

Last Squadron - 20 min.

This looks like a fun game, and kind of reminds me of 1942 for the NES.

22 hours ago, Atarian7 said:

Solar Fox

This is a really fun game that I have come to enjoy playing. I am not that good and seem to find my self in a bind after the first few levels. I seem to get trapped where they shoot from both the top and bottom and I have nowhere to go.

19 hours ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

Dance Dance Revolution GB

Its funny, I remember when this came out back in they day. It does sure seem that they made this series on allot of systems.

On 12/20/2020 at 10:02 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

Metroid

I always have wanted to get into this game, but I always get lost and cant really advance. I really need to use a walkthrough and try to beat this game one day

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 3

Here's the summary for Week 51, running from December 14 - 20. We logged 3811 minutes of eligible play, playing 63 games on a total of 15 systems.

Top 10:

1. Shining Force Gaiden: The Final Conflict (Game Gear) - 480 min.
2. Policenauts (Sega Saturn) - 408 min.
3. Stellar-Fire (Sega CD) - 357 min.
4. Pokémon Gold (Game Boy Color) - 217 min. (#1)
5. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 188 min. (#3)
6. Oddworld Adventures (Game Boy) - 176 min. (#6)
7. Jr. Pac-Man (Atari 2600) - 175 min.
8. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 162 min.
9. Bases Loaded (NES/Famicom) - 158 min. (#4)
10. Fatal Fury Special (Sega CD) - 108 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 188 min. (PN#1)
2. Jr. Pac-Man (Atari 2600) - 175 min. (PN#6)
3. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 162 min. (PN#7)
4. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 93 min. (PN#3)
5. Gaplus (Arcade) - 58 min.
6. Stargate / Defender II (Atari 2600) - 50 min. (PN#4)
7. Space Invaders (Atari 2600) - 42 min.
8. Mappy (Arcade) - 26 min.
9. Acid Drop (Atari 2600) - 25 min.
9. River Raid (Atari 2600) - 25 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (838) (#2)
2. Sega CD (491) (#7)
3. Game Gear (480)
4. Sega Saturn (408) (#6)
5. Game Boy Color (370) (#3)
6. Game Boy (340) (#5)
7. Arcade (316) (#10)
8. NES/Famicom (191) (#1)
9. Famicom Disk System (168)
10. Neo Geo AES/MVS (63)

If last week was a Nintendo week, this is a Sega week where Shining Force Gaiden on the Game Gear is ahead of Policenauts on the Saturn with Stellar-Fire on the Sega CD in third place. Of course none of these qualify for the pre-NES list, which rather is dominated by Atari 2600 games like Solar Fox, Jr. Pac-Man and Kaboom! which is enough for the 2600 to become the most played system.

No new entries on the 1000, 5000, 10000 minute clubs.

As noted, the current week #52 runs December 21-27 and then we have an extra week #53 that runs December 28-31.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Nintendo64 said:

I never really got into this series. The graphics style kind of reminded me of Earthworm Jim, although I could be wrong. Nice to see that you completed it. Are you playing all of these games on a T.V. screen, or on the old school handheld gameboy?

I'm doing most of my playtime on the Super Gameboy.  Although, this week, I have switched over to the GameCube and the Gameboy player!  On top of that, I put in a few minutes on the GameBoy Advance SP (but I have to wear reading glasses for that now).

• Like 2

20 hours ago, carlsson said:

As noted, the current week #52 runs December 21-27 and then we have an extra week #53 that runs December 28-31.

Thanks as always for adding up the times for the week, I really appreciate it.

2 hours ago, Atarian7 said:

I did it!  No, not Kaboom! but rather breaking 1 million on Solar Fox. 

My score was 1,070,700 and I made it to rack 54.

That's great to hear. I don't think I will ever come anywhere even near the couple hundred thousand mark, very well done.

13 hours ago, wongojack said:

I'm doing most of my playtime on the Super Gameboy.  Although, this week, I have switched over to the GameCube and the Gameboy player!  On top of that, I put in a few minutes on the GameBoy Advance SP (but I have to wear reading glasses for that now).

Its nice to see that you are able to play most of the time on a bigger screen with the Super Gameboy and Gamecube. I owned the original gameboy back in the early 90s but I dont know what happened to it, and I haven't played that actual console since then. I think it would be much for fun to play on a bigger screen with more colors, then on the original green and black  Gameboy screen.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2020 at 10:44 PM, Nintendo64 said:

I always have wanted to get into this game, but I always get lost and cant really advance. I really need to use a walkthrough and try to beat this game one day

Alternative strategy: play Zero Mission a dozen or so times and memorize where everything is. Then you will be like me and be able to go through FDS/NES Metroid in about an hour while getting everything with no map! Just don't get stuck in the lava pits in Norfair around where the Wave Beam is.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Alternative strategy: play Zero Mission a dozen or so times and memorize where everything is. Then you will be like me and be able to go through FDS/NES Metroid in about an hour while getting everything with no map! Just don't get stuck in the lava pits in Norfair around where the Wave Beam is.

Zero Mission looks like a really good game. Funny thing is I have never played one game on the Nintendo DS in my life. Maybe one day I will get the emulator and some games for that system. The DS kind of looks like SNES style graphics, which is nice. I actually started playing a decent amount of the NES Metroid this week, and my problem before was that I never realized how to get past the red doors until looking at a walkthrough. Never knew it took 5 shots with the special gun to get through those doors, but I'm having fun and maybe I'll complete it this week.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 2